2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hz1997

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
when applying for direct TCs, do any of you put 'vacation scheme offer holder' for a firm you ended up reneging? is it best to just stick to the one/s you actually did ?

I would personally stick to the ones I did ; I think (hope) firms are more interested in the experience you actually gained as opposed to how many vac scheme offers you were made and turned down, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: layla rose

TiredPG

Star Member
Forum Winner
Jan 6, 2021
I’m not really answering your Q here as I haven’t been in the situation of interviewing at a firm I have a VS/TC at but I’ve been a Paralegal for the past 18 months and am changing firms in May for a new Paralegal role so I’ve had a few interviews - to be honest in both my interviews I did mention my TC goals but neither time were the interviewers particularly bothered (not in a bad way, it just wasn’t hugely relevant to the role). Imo I think they want to make sure you’re interested and aware of the work you’re going to do and goings on in the department you’re interviewing in, as well as the skills you’ve already gained which would be useful in said role. If it was me, I’d focus on regular Paralegal interview Qs but of course mention how you’re looking forward to building your knowledge pre VS/TC and get to know more about the firm than you do already.

That may not be helpful but TLDR I don’t know if I’d treat it differently from a firm you don’t have a VS/TC with; maybe I’m wrong though.
Thanks for that!

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Does anyone have advice on how to answer an application questions asking for a business which you would introduce to the firm as a client?
    This depends on the question. Are they asking you to identify an actual business? Or an area? You might need to know why they aren't a client already - bad blood? Loyal to someone else? A new area for the firm? A fledgling company?

Thinking as I write, you might be wise to look at a struggling-but-promising startup in an area the firm has expertise in? Maybe also check out the Farrers Entrepreneurs Week microsite - they have an annual week of events purely aimed at BD and feature some of their established clients in panel discussions etc. Maybe you can take a general 'BD' (business devt) perspective?? Just looking at an overview of the events might give you some perspectives: https://www.entrepreneursweek.co.uk/

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    Hi, hope everyone is doing well. I am in a bit of a predicament and don't want to come across as tone-deaf but I don't really know where to else to go for advice.

So, I have been invited to complete an interview with Dechert for their summer vacation scheme. The issue is that I have already accepted a summer vacation scheme that clashes with Dechert's and that firm is my top choice. I don't want to turn down the interview as I feel somewhat ungrateful (this would be the third interview I'd be canceling) but equally, I don't think I can prepare with as much motivation and show genuine enthusiasm for the firm as it is not my top choice. I also don't want to spread myself too thin given I have a vacation scheme starting in a week and law school work to catch up on.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated :)

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hi, hope everyone is doing well. I am in a bit of a predicament and don't want to come across as tone-deaf but I don't really know where to else to go for advice.

So, I have been invited to complete an interview with Dechert for their summer vacation scheme. The issue is that I have already accepted a summer vacation scheme that clashes with Dechert's and that firm is my top choice. I don't want to turn down the interview as I feel somewhat ungrateful (this would be the third interview I'd be canceling) but equally, I don't think I can prepare with as much motivation and show genuine enthusiasm for the firm as it is not my top choice. I also don't want to spread myself too thin given I have a vacation scheme starting in a week and law school work to catch up on.

Firstly, congratulations that's an amazing achievement and secondly, I don't think that is ungrateful at all- actually Dechert will probably prefer you cancel then attend the interview knowing you won't accept a VS offer as they are not your first choice. I definitely think just be gracious when you cancel and focus on your upcoming VS and law school- they are definitely the priority!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Do Dechert offer other dates you would be able to do?

Edit: if not and you can't do a direct TC then personally I wouldn't bother

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: 202023r

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020

I'm in the same situation! I'm waiting on the formal offer letter for my TC but I got invited to Dechert's VI. I was wondering about whether I should do it, since apparently it's quite standard, and I definitely will feel somehow kind of guilty if I don't do it as well. Like I'm still having those anxieties that my TC offer will fall through or something even though I've talked loads to partners and GR!

Personally, I don't think you should pressure yourself to do it if you're feeling like you're spread thin. There's some people out there that receive 3+ VS/TC offers and have to cancel on multiple firms. You're not ungrateful at all - considering that Dechert doesn't take direct TC applications and their VS is the only way of them assessing potential candidates, if you're not serious about the TC with them and would rather another firm, there's absolutely no obligation on you to keep going through the process unless you wanted to or felt it would be some kind of big benefit to get the practice. Considering they definitely took their time with the invites as well compared to other firms, I wouldn't think you'll be the only one that's cancelling because they accepted an offer another firm made first.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I would tend to look at it in as simple terms as possible: if you don't intend on accepting Dechert's VS as it clashes with another option you'd prefer, there's almost nothing to be gained by interviewing and that space could go to another candidate, maybe one whose top firm is Dechert.

In terms of spreading yourself too thin, it's hard to comment: I don't know your work rate/ how much you have to do etc etc. What I would say is that, while it's important to remember your health etc and not absolutely burst yourself, a life in commercial law will be one where you often feel spread a bit thin due to work volume and the sort of environment you're in. Personally, I don't think this should be a deciding factor.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Just withdraw if there is no chance of you going on to take up a place n the Dechert scheme. It isn't being ungrateful and you won't waste someone's time interviewing you. As Jacob also mentioned, it means someone else can take that opportunity up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.