2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    Firstly, congratulations that's an amazing achievement and secondly, I don't think that is ungrateful at all- actually Dechert will probably prefer you cancel then attend the interview knowing you won't accept a VS offer as they are not your first choice. I definitely think just be gracious when you cancel and focus on your upcoming VS and law school- they are definitely the priority!
    Thank you for your help!

Reactions: GK8997

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    I would tend to look at it in as simple terms as possible: if you don't intend on accepting Dechert's VS as it clashes with another option you'd prefer, there's almost nothing to be gained by interviewing and that space could go to another candidate, maybe one whose top firm is Dechert.

In terms of spreading yourself too thin, it's hard to comment: I don't know your work rate/ how much you have to do etc etc. What I would say is that, while it's important to remember your health etc and not absolutely burst yourself, a life in commercial law will be one where you often feel spread a bit thin due to work volume and the sort of environment you're in. Personally, I don't think this should be a deciding factor.
    Just withdraw if there is no chance of you going on to take up a place n the Dechert scheme. It isn't being ungrateful and you won't waste someone's time interviewing you. As Jacob also mentioned, it means someone else can take that opportunity up.

Thank you both! That's put things into perspective and I shall withdraw my application.

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    I'm in the same situation! I'm waiting on the formal offer letter for my TC but I got invited to Dechert's VI. I was wondering about whether I should do it, since apparently it's quite standard, and I definitely will feel somehow kind of guilty if I don't do it as well. Like I'm still having those anxieties that my TC offer will fall through or something even though I've talked loads to partners and GR!

Personally, I don't think you should pressure yourself to do it if you're feeling like you're spread thin. There's some people out there that receive 3+ VS/TC offers and have to cancel on multiple firms. You're not ungrateful at all - considering that Dechert doesn't take direct TC applications and their VS is the only way of them assessing potential candidates, if you're not serious about the TC with them and would rather another firm, there's absolutely no obligation on you to keep going through the process unless you wanted to or felt it would be some kind of big benefit to get the practice. Considering they definitely took their time with the invites as well compared to other firms, I wouldn't think you'll be the only one that's cancelling because they accepted an offer another firm made first.

I think it is probably worth you doing the VI, especially if there is no clashing summer scheme, as that adds a layer of safety in case you don't get the TC offer. But this does depend on when your VI deadline is and when you expect to hear back from TC interview and how confident you are about the interview outcome.

Also, thank you for your advice! It's a shame that they sent out invites so late into the cycle, especially as I submitted my application in early November.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I think it is probably worth you doing the VI, especially if there is no clashing summer scheme, as that adds a layer of safety in case you don't get the TC offer. But this does depend on when your VI deadline is and when you expect to hear back from TC interview and how confident you are about the interview outcome.

Also, thank you for your advice! It's a shame that they sent out invites so late into the cycle, especially as I submitted my application in early November.
    GR/Partners have already offered me the TC, I'm just waiting to sign the contract basically! But all the trauma of getting things pulled out from under me last year is really getting to me 😂
    I've also just withdrawn - Dechert told us they send around *190 post-interview PFOs on the open day so since the stats are not in my favour I think I'll pass and focus on the offer I already have.

edit: just out of curiosity and also to soothe my anxieties lol - future trainees who had an oral offer of a TC via phone call post-VS or direct TC interview, how fast did GR get your formal offer letter and contract to you (if you can remember?)? Mine are saying between 'soon' and 'a few weeks' but I swear the wait is killing me already and it's been less than a week! 😂 impatience is my weakness

Last edited:

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    GR/Partners have already offered me the TC, I'm just waiting to sign the contract basically! But all the trauma of getting things pulled out from under me last year is really getting to me 😂
    I've also just withdrawn - Dechert told us they send around 750 post-interview PFOs on the open day so since the stats are not in my favour I think I'll pass and focus on the offer I already have.

edit: just out of curiosity and also to soothe my anxieties lol - future trainees who had an oral offer of a TC via phone call post-VS or direct TC interview, how fast did GR get your formal offer letter and contract to you (if you can remember?)? Mine are saying between 'soon' and 'a few weeks' but I swear the wait is killing me already and it's been less than a week! 😂 impatience is my weakness
    750???!!!!! I thought they only interviewed 60 candidates

Last edited:

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    I've also just withdrawn - Dechert told us they send around 750 post-interview PFOs on the open day so since the stats are not in my favour I think I'll pass and focus on the offer I already have.

Oh I see, I misinterpreted your initial message. And those post-interview PFO figures are unbelievably high!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    750???!!!!! I thought they only interviewed 60 candidates
    Oh my gosh!!!!!!! I totally screwed the numbers up, I'm going to go back to edit my post - they said they receive 900 applications, progress 250 to VI, then 60 to AC 😂 teaches me to try and do numbers without a cup of coffee

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've also just withdrawn - Dechert told us they send around *190 post-interview PFOs on the open day so since the stats are not in my favour I think I'll pass and focus on the offer I already have.

Could be anything from 4 hours to 4 weeks...

• Haha
    Reactions: Kablahc

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    Hey guys, has anyone done the Irwin Mitchell video interview? Would just like to know what the format is? I understand we have 2 minutes to answer but how long do you get to prepare? Are there multiple attempts in recording your answer?

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hey! did you email them to ask or did they just send an email saying we'd hear back by the 12th??
    Hey! I got an email sent that said this -
    Thank you for completing your career focus questions, we are still in the process of screening and we will be in touch by week commencing 12th April with an outcome.

If you are successful,we are aiming to conduct interviews during the week commencing 3rd May and for the virtual vacation schemes to take place during week commencing 28th June and 5th July. Upon an offer of a vacation scheme, you will be able to give us a preference of which scheme you would like to attend.

Kind Regards
    The Reed Smith Graduate Recruitment Team

Reactions: Silas

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hey! I am wondering if anyone can help with this - I am filling in the Watchgod screening form for a vac scheme, and I have no idea what sector of employment I should choose? Is it 'professional, technical, or 'information/communication', or something else? Thanks

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Travers sent me mine about 3 days after! Don't stress though, they'll definitely get around to it. You won't be forgotten about!

• Love
    Reactions: Kablahc

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey! I am wondering if anyone can help with this - I am filling in the Watchgod screening form for a vac scheme, and I have no idea what sector of employment I should choose? Is it 'professional, technical, or 'information/communication', or something else? Thanks
    What are all the options?

magdalenite2017

Standard Member
    Feb 26, 2021
    Any news from MoFo or Gibson lately? (post app)
    They were doing first-stage interviews this week, and there will be follow-up interviews with partners next week. So far, they have only filled half of the spaces on the VS, so I think there is a reasonable chance they will still be making interview invites after next week to people they skipped so far.

Reactions: Samantha
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.