2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone know what the conversion rate for VS to TC is for Latham? Given that they have a winter VS, and direct TC application, I assume its quite low.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hmm that's a fair point, perhaps doing a VS you wouldn't accept a TC from is a bit much. What about an interview though, if you're attending an interview it doesn't necessarily mean you've bagged a TC elsewhere already and you're set - you might simply be unable to attend that firm's dates (and they might not have any other ones you could do), but the interview experience will still be very valuable for future applications / ACs.
    You are potentially taking an interview up from someone else though who could get the job. I have recruited less people when interview conversion rates have been lower than expected, and that has often been because people declined the offer for other opportunities.

It’s obviously someone’s prerogative to make the most of any opportunity they are given. But they have to be aware that if their attitude is to not take the direct opportunity up, and only benefit from its side effects, you are ultimately taking the real opportunity from someone else.

I’d estimate that somewhere around 5-8% of opportunities are lost this way.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Has anyone done the WBD VI yet ? Does anyone know how long we have to answer each question?
    (I realise the info will probs be given before I start but I’m just practicing recording myself with a stopwatch and don’t know how long to give myself) 😂

EDIT: also are we able to re-record??

Last edited:

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Has anyone done the WBD VI yet ? Does anyone know how long we have to answer each question?
    (I realise the info will probs be given before I start but I’m just practicing recording myself with a stopwatch and don’t know how long to give myself) 😂

EDIT: also are we able to re-record??

I haven’t applied to WBD so I can’t help here. But if no one gets back to you, I’d make sure you can answer questions in 1 min or 1 min 30 seconds as thats the length for many VI questions. If it turns out to be longer, then you can speak slower which is good. If it turns out to be those lengths, also good as thats what you practiced. Obviously I am unsure about re-recording too but I’d go with the presumption that you can’t. Hopefully someone can offer more specific advice though.

Best of luck!

• Love
    Reactions: Rachel H and Hele25

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    OP hasn't got a TC with another firm though, just a VS and obviously there's no guarantee that they'll convert it (although I'm sure he/she will smash it) so I'm not sure that's the same thing tbh. If you've accepted a TC elsewhere (firm A) and signed the contract then you have to withdraw from other firm's processes for that reason (most TC offers include that as a clause in the offer letter) but accepting a VS with a firm does not prevent you from taking other interviews and schemes because obviously the TC isn't guaranteed.

That said, I do agree with you that, if there's no way you can move the scheme/switch to a direct TC app with firm B should you get through the interview stage, you shouldn't really do the interview because as you say it's taking the opportunity away from someone else. However, if there is a possibility of moving schemes/switching application routes with firm B and you don't already have a TC with firm A why would you prevent yourself from improving your interview technique and giving yourself another opportunity to get a VS and increase your chances of getting a TC?
    Ahhhh I misunderstood, I thought the OP had already accepted a TC offer elsewhere! If it’s only a VS that’s a completely different situation :) Thanks for letting me know!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Silas

Jan 15, 2021
    Hey! I got an email sent that said this -
    Thank you for completing your career focus questions, we are still in the process of screening and we will be in touch by week commencing 12th April with an outcome.

If you are successful,we are aiming to conduct interviews during the week commencing 3rd May and for the virtual vacation schemes to take place during week commencing 28th June and 5th July. Upon an offer of a vacation scheme, you will be able to give us a preference of which scheme you would like to attend.

Kind Regards
    The Reed Smith Graduate Recruitment Team
    Thank you! I am concerned that I didn't get this... hopefully doesn't mean a PFO!

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I haven’t applied to WBD so I can’t help here. But if no one gets back to you, I’d make sure you can answer questions in 1 min or 1 min 30 seconds as thats the length for many VI questions. If it turns out to be longer, then you can speak slower which is good. If it turns out to be those lengths, also good as thats what you practiced. Obviously I am unsure about re-recording too but I’d go with the presumption that you can’t. Hopefully someone can offer more specific advice though.

Best of luck!
    Oh gaaad, going to cut down now! (I was doing 2 mins)
    thanks so much! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly

Jordon

• Oct 2, 2020
    Just wondering if anybody emailed WBD grad rec to see whether they intend to do the ACs virtually or in person? The email they sent with the video interviews said:

‘The assessment days will take place between 5th of May and 9th June 2021.

You will be invited to the assessment day based on your first choice office location. Reasonable travel and accommodation costs will be covered.’

I’d assume they are including that last part as a precautionary measure if AC’s are going to be in person, but I do think it wouldn’t be the best choice to have a bunch of candidates in a room together doing the AC, especially when people will be travelling from other areas and there is still a ‘stay local’ order in place.

Does anybody have any information on this? Or what your thoughts are?

mls1803

Standard Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice to me for a little VS situation I'm in. Basically I got a VI invite from Dechert (yay!) on Monday but it went into my spam email, and so I woke up today with a reminder email from them saying I have until midnight tonight to complete the interview. The Dechert summer VS this year, I'm pretty sure, is from the 26th June- 9th July, but the thing is, on top of having done the application back in January so needing a spend all of today preparing for it, I have secured a vac scheme already for one of these weeks. This is with a smaller firm but one that was one of my top choices. The main downside is that this firm doesn't offer international secondments, and Dechert do.
    Is it worth me trying to do the VI today and then maybe rejecting the one I have been offered already (obviously assuming I'd even get through to AC for Dechert !!)? Or perhaps I could email and see if they could extend the deadline? This is my first round of applications so I guess I have next year too, but part of me is reluctant to turn down such a great international firm. Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice to me for a little VS situation I'm in. Basically I got a VI invite from Dechert (yay!) on Monday but it went into my spam email, and so I woke up today with a reminder email from them saying I have until midnight tonight to complete the interview. The Dechert summer VS this year, I'm pretty sure, is from the 26th June- 9th July, but the thing is, on top of having done the application back in January so needing a spend all of today preparing for it, I have secured a vac scheme already for one of these weeks. This is with a smaller firm but one that was one of my top choices. The main downside is that this firm doesn't offer international secondments, and Dechert do.
    Is it worth me trying to do the VI today and then maybe rejecting the one I have been offered already (obviously assuming I'd even get through to AC for Dechert !!)? Or perhaps I could email and see if they could extend the deadline? This is my first round of applications so I guess I have next year too, but part of me is reluctant to turn down such a great international firm. Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!
    I would just try to do the VI today rather than asking for an extension, especially given the timelines.

Reactions: G P

G P

Star Member
    Jul 13, 2020
    I would do it, just to keep the option open for as long as possible :)

jw97

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2020
    Do we think the WBD deadline is tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight? Always read in to it far too much because technically tonight is Sunday midnight?? AHH

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.