2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
I feel like it means tonight at midnight.
While this put the fear of god into me 😂 I do think it means tomorrow, as tonight is midnight 3rd of April. Also, when I try to create an event in my phone through clicking the highlighted date in the email, it comes up as tomorrow night.
I may be wrong though:) so everyone should do def what they feel is best! (Basically I don’t want to get out of my pj’s) 😂😂

Reactions: Kira and Jessrw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was wondering how the training contract interviews (at the end of the vac scheme) are different to the usual interviews from your experiences? @Dheepa @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden and anyone else with experience! Thank you
They tend to focus more on what you have done since your VS interview, and obviously discuss more about what you have enjoyed and taken from your vac scheme with them (as well as any other schemes you may have done since). It also tend to be a little heavier on your motivations and commercial knowledge. Although competencies can still be assessed, it’s often easier to assess these (eg team working/resilience/time management etc) from your time on the vacation scheme, which usually gives more time to focus on your motivations and analytical skills.

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    They tend to focus more on what you have done since your VS interview, and obviously discuss more about what you have enjoyed and taken from your vac scheme with them (as well as any other schemes you may have done since). It also tend to be a little heavier on your motivations and commercial knowledge. Although competencies can still be assessed, it’s often easier to assess these (eg team working/resilience/time management etc) from your time on the vacation scheme, which usually gives more time to focus on your motivations and analytical skills.
    Thanks very much, that's really useful

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I was wondering how the training contract interviews (at the end of the vac scheme) are different to the usual interviews from your experiences? @Dheepa @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden and anyone else with experience! Thank you
    Unfortunately I can't offer a huge amount here from personal experience - I've never actually done a TC interview (dropped out of NRF and Travers made my offer without asking me to interview again). With that said, my general understanding of these post-VS interviews is that you've really got to place more reliance on things you've learned and done during the VS and how that's changed your position in terms of knowledge/ experience/ desire for a TC compared to before the VS.
    With that in mind, you want to keep a really accurate log of everything you've learned/ done etc during your VS, who you've spoken to, what they've said etc etc so you can bring all that into the discussion.

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone know what the conversion rate for VS to TC is for Latham? Given that they have a winter VS, and direct TC application, I assume its quite low.
    According to chambers student 70% of trainees have completed the vac scheme
    Also, according to my interviewer, they are aiming to recruit a couple more trainees this year. not sure if that changes things either way

• ℹ️
    Reactions: layla rose

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just wondering why people say 'incoming vacation scheme' instead of 'upcoming vacation scheme', which seems more natural sounding
    Because you are an incoming vacation scheme student, but your vacation scheme would be upcoming if you were talking about the scheme rather than you as a person. There is probably some confusion with this difference.

So as a job title on LinkedIn, incoming would be most appropriate. If it was a description of the job, then upcoming would be the most appropriate.

So “I am an incoming vacation scheme student at Joe Bloggs LLP” is correct but so is “I have upcoming vacation schemes at Joe Bloggs LLP and Red & Blue LLP”

Last edited:

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Unfortunately I can't offer a huge amount here from personal experience - I've never actually done a TC interview (dropped out of NRF and Travers made my offer without asking me to interview again). With that said, my general understanding of these post-VS interviews is that you've really got to place more reliance on things you've learned and done during the VS and how that's changed your position in terms of knowledge/ experience/ desire for a TC compared to before the VS.
    With that in mind, you want to keep a really accurate log of everything you've learned/ done etc during your VS, who you've spoken to, what they've said etc etc so you can bring all that into the discussion.
    Thank you Jacob! That’s very useful

Selggib16

Star Member
    Jul 20, 2019
    I notice Vinson & Elkins only recruit 6 trainees per intake :oops: is it worth my time submitting a direct TC application or will they hire solely from their vacation scheme? I wasn’t sure if the 6 was direct or trainees as a whole!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I notice Vinson & Elkins only recruit 6 trainees per intake :oops: is it worth my time submitting a direct TC application or will they hire solely from their vacation scheme? I wasn’t sure if the 6 was direct or trainees as a whole!
    Yes, it's worth submitting an app! In my opinion, it's almost never not worth submitting one - can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Because you are an incoming vacation scheme student, but your vacation scheme would be upcoming if you were talking about the scheme rather than you as a person. There is probably some confusion with this difference.

So as a job title on LinkedIn, incoming would be most appropriate. If it was a description of the job, then upcoming would be the most appropriate.

So “I am an incoming vacation scheme student at Joe Bloggs LLP” is correct but so is “I have upcoming vacation schemes at Joe Bloggs LLP and Red & Blue LLP”
    I think the weird thing is that a lot of people post their job title as ‘Incoming Vacation Scheme’ which doesn’t make a lot of sense

Reactions: JJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think the weird thing is that a lot of people post their job title as ‘Incoming Vacation Scheme’ which doesn’t make a lot of sense
    Would only really make sense as Incoming Vacation Scheme Student or Incoming Vacation Scheme Intern.

I suspect it’s a lot of people copying other people’s job titles, technically incorrectly.

Reactions: JJ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.