2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiredPG

Star Member
Forum Winner
Jan 6, 2021
I haven't heard anything from Winckworth either! Does anyone have an idea of why it might be taking so long?
They put me through to the direct TC route a while back like the above poster and in their email it seemed as though they had filled their vacation scheme. I would say it's a good thing you haven't heard yet, as they may still be considering you for their Open Day!

• 🤝
Reactions: chloe_

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi it would be great to have your advice on this. I have secured a vac scheme for a week that clashes with one of the potential weeks for another firm I'm at final stage with. Should I wait to see whether I am offered a place on the vac scheme before letting grad recruitment know about my availability or email in advance? Thank you
    I would wait and see the outcome before emailing personally.

A

Anon 11031

Hearing about everyone's experience with TS this year has majorly put me off applying for them next cycle. Deciding to stop reviewing applications despite time and effort put in seems to be in bad taste to me. It also seems mildly unethical.

Sorry to everyone that had a PFO but thank you for sharing your experience so I know to avoid!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hearing about everyone's experience with TS this year has majorly put me off applying for them next cycle. Deciding to stop reviewing applications despite time and effort put in seems to be in bad taste to me. It also seems mildly unethical.

Sorry to everyone that had a PFO but thank you for sharing your experience so I know to avoid!
    How is it unethical? If they've found all the candidates they want and don't feel the need to read anymore surely that's their prerogative? I totally understand how frustrating it is from a candidate's perspective (the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago!) but I'm not sure it's unethical

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    How is it unethical? If they've found all the candidates they want and don't feel the need to read anymore surely that's their prerogative? I totally understand how frustrating it is from a candidate's perspective (the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago!) but I'm not sure it's unethical
    I don't think its unethical for them to do that.

But unlike other firms that claim to be non-rolling and ensure that they read every application (e.g.: Shearman & Sterling), Travers Smith claims to be non-rolling (for their Summer VS) but doesn't look at all applications.

A bit of a paradox to claim that you are non-rolling but do not read every application, in my personal opinion.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I don't think its unethical for them to do that.

But unlike other firms that claim to be non-rolling and ensure that they read every application (e.g.: Shearman & Sterling), Travers Smith claims to be non-rolling (for their Summer VS) but doesn't look at all applications.

A bit of a paradox to claim that you are non-rolling but do not read every application, in my personal opinion.
    Completely agree, I think it's the least you can do when the candidate has invested so much time and effort into submitting the application

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020

They told me I had interviewed there and said because of that they wouldn't progress my app in Oct. I have never even applied to the firm before and never been in contact with GR before submitting the app...

I phoned immediately and they said they 'fixed it' yet I haven't gotten any emails from the firm.

Really disappointed tbf :/

A

Anon 11031

I haven't personally applied for them this time around, however they are one of the firms I was majorly considering. Unethical might be the wrong word to use here. But, to me at least, even if you find candidates that you want to accept onto your VS I think you should still have the responsibility to review all other applications - since applications take lots of time and effort. And this is especially the case if you claim to be reviewing applications non-rolling.

On top of that, if you receive a higher number of applicants than you can actually commit to reviewing then the application window should be shortened (I'm pretty sure other firms did this). That's just my opinion, I just feel awful for those who spent hours or days researching the firm.

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Completely agree, I think it's the least you can do when the candidate has invested so much time and effort into submitting the application
    Definitely agree with this.

However, I can see that more firms will move to rolling applications in the coming cycles, given the (a) exponential rise in application numbers, and (b) the immense human capital it takes to review each and every application.

Rolling applications just make more sense for GR, even for firms with immense resources. It makes more sense for applicants too, as they can better manage their expectations considering when they submitted their applications.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Definitely agree with this.

However, I can see that more firms will move to rolling applications in the coming cycles, given the (a) exponential rise in application numbers, and (b) the immense human capital it takes to review each and every application.

Rolling applications just make more sense for GR, even for firms with immense resources. It makes more sense for applicants too, as they can better manage their expectations considering when they submitted their applications.
    I haven't personally applied for them this time around, however they are one of the firms I was majorly considering. Unethical might be the wrong word to use here. But, to me at least, even if you find candidates that you want to accept onto your VS I think you should still have the responsibility to review all other applications - since applications take lots of time and effort. And this is especially the case if you claim to be reviewing applications non-rolling.

On top of that, if you receive a higher number of applicants than you can actually commit to reviewing then the application window should be shortened (I'm pretty sure other firms did this). That's just my opinion, I just feel awful for those who spent hours or days researching the firm.
    Yeah I completely agree with both of you guys - would make so much more sense for both sides

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    Has anyone with a Dechert AC tomorrow not received an email with details of the day? I'm starting to get worried bcos I've heard nothing back from them...

Don't worry this is me too! I think it's because of the long weekend?

Have you both heard from Dechert today? My AC is on 8th but it's worrying me that I still haven't heard from them after replying to confirm my place. Given the invitation came in on 1 April, I am increasingly wondering if it was meant to be just an April fool joke 🤣

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020

I think the point of claiming to be non-rolling but then cutting off reviewing applications is very fair. I imagine from the grad recruitment perspective however the last year has just been unprecedented, and the usual targets they would build in have to be thrown out the window. Otherwise they would have to hire more recruiters, which makes no financial sense from their perspective if they still want to hire the same numbers.

It massively sucks, however it's the case equally in almost all competitive sectors in London. Regardless of how much a specific job seems your dream job, anything in London gets so many applications it's best not even considering it once it's sent. For the vast majority of grad level jobs I have applied for in London over the years, I haven't even heard back. It works when you accept that a lot of your applications will never even be read. It doesn't mean yours didn't meet the benchmark, but it makes no sense from a business perspective to interview say 100 people for a grad charity job when if they interview 5-10 they'll likely find someone they like. Rest straight in the bin. In comparison to most sectors, law firms spend ridiculous levels of time and money on picking their candidates.

Applying to grad-level jobs in London SUCKS. You send off a tonne of applications, no responses from anything you are qualified for, then randomly get one! Not unique to law--if anything it's less opaque.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

The way they screen applications is really annoying.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Have you both heard from Dechert today? My AC is on 8th but it's worrying me that I still haven't heard from them after replying to confirm my place. Given the invitation came in on 1 April, I am increasingly wondering if it was meant to be just an April fool joke 🤣
    Yep I got sent an email today so hopefully you will tomorrow!

Reactions: Phoenix for all
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.