2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Dentons VS offer! Somehow that's 4 VS offers for this cycle now, after being gutted following a post-VS rejection last year I'm buzzing! I'm not an expert at all, but if anybody does have any questions then feel free to drop a message
That's amazing! Lots of luck with converting to a TC (though I'm sure you won't need it)!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Quick Question. I got a job in finance that I am due to start in August but I after I accepted the offer I got a vac scheme. The dates for the vac scheme are before I start my job so can I take both? Would my employer be annoyed?
Your grad employer won’t be annoyed. Your vac scheme firm might be as they can’t convert you (assuming you are pursuing finance long term), but how would they know?

Reactions: Chance

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Sigh...rejection post-interview for Brown Rudnick. Can't say I'm surprised given how tough the questions were, but just an FYI - they are one of those crappy firms that refuse to give feedback. Just a heads up for anyone interested in applying to them next cycle.
i just find it so so so shitty that some firms don't give feedback post interview. sorry to hear this and wishing you the best of luck for your other apps!

A

Anon 11031

I'm sure it's somewhere in emails we've been given, but does anyone know when DAC Beachcroft intends to hold their VS? I didn't even know it formed part of the TC process and it's going to be super tricky to get the time off

(If I'm lucky enough to get past VI) ✨

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    i just find it so so so shitty that some firms don't give feedback post interview. sorry to hear this and wishing you the best of luck for your other apps!

This isn't the first time it's happened, either. I'm starting to wonder if there should be a list of firms known for doing lame things like this so people can go into their interviews with open eyes. A bit like ROF's Golden Turd awards at the end of every year. If we know the good side of firms, we should also be aware of the bad sides too!

I'm lucky to have a VS lined up and a direct TC interview in the summer, and still have 8 firms to hear back from, so I'm not too worried. Thanks for your kind words though!

A

Anon 11031

This isn't the first time it's happened, either. I'm starting to wonder if there should be a list of firms known for doing lame things like this so people can go into their interviews with open eyes. A bit like ROF's Golden Turd awards at the end of every year. If we know the good side of firms, we should also be aware of the bad sides too!

I'm lucky to have a VS lined up and a direct TC interview in the summer, and still have 8 firms to hear back from, so I'm not too worried. Thanks for your kind words though!
    I absolutely agree with all of this, too. The least any company, law firm or employer can do is feedback if you're unsuccessful (after you've reached a reasonable stage in the process).

I'm sure some people don't agree as strongly on this point, but bad practices and recruitment REALLY puts me off working for someone.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I absolutely agree with all of this, too. The least any company, law firm or employer can do is feedback if you're unsuccessful (after you've reached a reasonable stage in the process).

I'm sure some people don't agree as strongly on this point, but bad practices and recruitment REALLY puts me off working for someone.
    I agree. The lack of investment given to HR/GR departments, especially in big law firms, is a red flag to me for obvious reasons and looks like they couldn’t give a toss about their employees.

AA99

Forum Winner
    Jan 26, 2021
    Massive congratulations on your four offers! Amazing! Do you have any thoughts on the reasons (if you're happy to share) for your post-VS rejection last year and what you want to do differently this year?
    Thank you! Yeah there were definitely a few reasons for last year's post-VS rejection so I'll go through them here:

- The main reason the firm gave was that I lacked office experience so basically although the feedback was positive, they could tell that I didn't really know what it would be like to work in a law firm and I think they were perhaps a bit worried that I idealised it and didn't quite know what I was getting myself into. I showed a huge interest in pro bono and ESG activities but perhaps not enough in the things I'd be doing day-to-day. So I think with that, obviously it has been hard to get office experience this year, but the TCLA stuff on how law firms operate as a business and networking with as many trainees, associates etc. has been really useful to gain an insight into what it's actually like.

- Secondly, I don't think I was massively confident with it being virtual. I'm normally very sociable but because it was online I became a little bit too passive and really got on with my trainee buddy yet didn't get to know that many people across the firm. This was obviously a big mistake and proves that you get out of it what you put in, especially with it being online. A fair bit of the vac scheme was done in big UK-wide Teams meetings too so I was perhaps less comfortable speaking up in that environment, but have gone out of my way to do that recently so it should come easier this time round.

- In the work I took quite an academic approach and therefore didn't always give the client what they were really after. So this time I'll definitely remember my audience and be concise to make sure I'm actually adding value. I started volunteering at Citizens Advice in September so I think that direct client contact will really help.

- Also, I guess to be honest I was quite complacent as I knew the firm recruited the vast majority of trainees from the VS so I wasn't massively proactive in always putting my best foot forward, I maybe just assumed it would come through. But again, I think this is something that is more easily done when it's virtual. And it was a 3 week online scheme so it was harder to keep the motivation remotely for that period of time, but now I've experienced that rejection the motivation will definitely be there!

The experience was a positive one though and I certainly feel more ready to secure a TC now whereas before I think it would have been pretty lucky. Hope this helps!

D

Deleted member 3795

I'm sure it's somewhere in emails we've been given, but does anyone know when DAC Beachcroft intends to hold their VS? I didn't even know it formed part of the TC process and it's going to be super tricky to get the time off

(If I'm lucky enough to get past VI) ✨
    Not sure on the VS date. However, one of the emails state that the next stage is a remote AC and that we should hear back in early may.

A

Anon 11031

Not sure on the VS date. However, one of the emails state that the next stage is a remote AC and that we should hear back in early may.
    That's going to feel like an awfully long time to hear back! I'm kind of hoping they'll hold the actual scheme in July or something (considering I had to push one of my exams to August due to bereavement).

@Jessica Booker - is it likely that a firm would take circumstances like this seriously if they clashed with a VS?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Deleted member 3795

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Sigh...rejection post-interview for Brown Rudnick. Can't say I'm surprised given how tough the questions were, but just an FYI - they are one of those crappy firms that refuse to give feedback. Just a heads up for anyone interested in applying to them next cycle.
    I am sorry mate..but just the fact that they do not give a feedback after an AC..says a lot about the firm!

Reactions: Matt_96
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.