2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi Guys, I got a White & Case TC offer. For those of you who may no me.. this has not been easy. I hope to make a longer post soon, but I just want to say this took 3 years.. 2nd year, 3rd year, LLM .. finished that and now we are here.. idk what the future holds and I’ll let you know more about the terrible circumstances I’ve faced throughout these times.. but keep going.. keep believing !

So so pleased for you!!! Massive congrats 🥳 🏆🏆🏆🏆

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi Guys, I got a White & Case TC offer. For those of you who may no me.. this has not been easy. I hope to make a longer post soon, but I just want to say this took 3 years.. 2nd year, 3rd year, LLM .. finished that and now we are here.. idk what the future holds and I’ll let you know more about the terrible circumstances I’ve faced throughout these times.. but keep going.. keep believing !
    Incredible!!! Congratulations!!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ironically, this firm spent next to no money on promoting itself to graduates. It has no presence on any of the 'major' legal recruitment websites aimed at grads (chambers student, Legal Cheek or Lex) - in fact the only details about the firm's trainee program are on a very small (and sparsely detailed) page on its website. Oh and it expects you to have completed/be in the process of completing the LPC. So make of that what you will!
    Sounds like a pretty small scale recruitment operation then. Sometimes we get spoilt with how elaborate some law firms are with all their processes/events/marketing etc. For any firm with a relatively small intake, none of that is needed really, but it does mean that it’s only the basics that are met.

Reactions: FM302989

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Congratulations! This is fantastic news 🥳🥳🥳

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No No No GIF

🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩
    I actually feel pretty sorry for firms like that. It can be impossible to compete with the bigger players in the market, and a profile on Chambers is a stupid amount of money if you are only hiring a very small number of people.

If it was me, I’d actually be aiming for firms like that. But I like things that are understated.

A

Anon 11031

I actually feel pretty sorry for firms like that. I can be impossible to compete with the bigger players in the market, and a profile on Chambers is a stupid amount of money if you are only hiring a very small number of people.
    This is very true.

However, I'm sure providing a little feedback to people who have invested lots of time and research into their firm would go a long way reputation wise! Treatment of potential employees, clients and others can have much more of a positive impact than most paid advertisements do (in my opinion anyways). My "nope" was more aimed at this than anything else :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is very true.

However, I'm sure providing a little feedback to people who have invested lots of time and research into their firm would go a long way reputation wise! Treatment of potential employees, clients and others can have much more of a positive impact than most paid advertisements do (in my opinion anyways). My "nope" was more aimed at this than anything else :)
    It sounds like a firm where they might not even have a dedicated graduate recruiter. The person might be juggling other HR responsibilities outside of Grad Rec, and trust me, when you do that you typically have zero time for the “nice to haves”. It maybe the case they haven’t got feedback too, especially if lawyers were the ones making the decision.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    I actually feel pretty sorry for firms like that. It can be impossible to compete with the bigger players in the market, and a profile on Chambers is a stupid amount of money if you are only hiring a very small number of people.

If it was me, I’d actually be aiming for firms like that. But I like things that are understated.
    Hi Jessica! In regard to this, I was wondering if you have any advice on researching firms that don’t have much about them online? I feel like it’s quite difficult to demonstrate that you’ve really tried to engage with the firm/ to make your application stand out, when the majority of applicants are relying on the same few resources

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica! In regard to this, I was wondering if you have any advice on researching firms that don’t have much about them online? I feel like it’s quite difficult to demonstrate that you’ve really tried to engage with the firm/ to make your application stand out, when the majority of applicants are relying on the same few resources
    I’d find people online, mainly via LinkedIn or maybe through my university’s alumni network and ask for their input.

I’d also follow their social media accounts if they have them.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Huge congrats that's wonderful news - hope you're able to enjoy a beer in a pub garden this week to celebrate :D

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Dentons VS offer! Somehow that's 4 VS offers for this cycle now, after being gutted following a post-VS rejection last year I'm buzzing! I'm not an expert at all, but if anybody does have any questions then feel free to drop a message
    Amazing achievement well done! Best of luck with the schemes :)

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Congratulations 🥳

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.