2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Guys, I have a question because I have been reading a lot of BS and I want to have your opinion.

How long do you spend researching a firm?
It really depends on the firm. I like to search for the firm on The Lawyer etc and read up on their deals etc so depends on how much they have been involved in. I would say as a ballpark that I spend a solid couple of hours at a minimum

Reactions: S87

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Thankyou! Mine don’t clash at the moment unless they put me on the earlier scheme but i know yours did, I just wanted to know what made you decide on the firms?
Well I did have two offers which clashed. They were both firms in my top three, so it was a difficult decision. I just made a judgement call based on which firm I felt was the best fit for me, and vice versa. The firm I declined actually called me and offered me an alternative date though, so it worked out really well in the end!

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    I just found out that I have been put on the reserve list for a VS :oops:
    I am having very mixed emotions about this - it's the furthest I have gotten in the current and past cycles, yet I can't help but to feel a bit disappointed in myself for not performing well enough to be offered a place straight away :(
    Also given how competitive this cycle is, I really don't know if anyone will reject an offer so that I can eventually be offered a place...

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I just found out that I have been put on the reserve list for a VS :oops:
    I am having very mixed emotions about this - it's the furthest I have gotten in the current and past cycles, yet I can't help but to feel a bit disappointed in myself for not performing well enough to be offered a place straight away :(
    Also given how competitive this cycle is, I really don't know if anyone will reject an offer so that I can eventually be offered a place...
    I totally understand how you feel because one on the one hand you don't want to get your hopes up but on the other, you are a bit annoyed you didn't get the place outright... the only thing I'll say is that people pull out of VSs due to accepting TCs/clashes with other firms VSs all the time so fingers crossed you'll get on it!

Might be worth asking the firm where you are on the waitlist as that may help you manage expectations?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Guys, I have a question because I have been reading a lot of BS and I want to have your opinion.

As a law student, I feel obligated to say 'it depends'. But, tbh, that is probably the best answer here. It entirely depends on the firm and their application form. Ropes & Gray only had one question on their application this year, and I was able to complete that within an hour. Firms like Ashurst and Debevoise took about 6 hours of researching alone. I'd say if a firm has around 3-5 questions on their application form, it should take you around 2-3 hours to get some really good research done assuming that you have a strategy going in and know what you're looking for.

Reactions: S87

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020

I've done applications where I spent a whole day researching the firm, went to open days, and got an immediate rejection. Likewise I've had applications where I spent all of about an hour learning about the firm and got to the next stage. Sometimes all you need is Chambers UK! I tend to get more into the research side of things if they progress me to WG/GBA/VI in that case I might spend a couple of days or more (around my uni work).

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Depends on a trillion factors to be honest. Some key variables:

• how technical/ complex the information you're looking for is
    • how much information the firm has posted about them online (e.g. an MC firm will probably have a lot more info than a semi-boutique American outfit or a regional firm)
    • what you need the research for
    • how good you are at researching
    • your ability to synthesise the mass of information you'll be presented with
    • whether the stars are aligned and the local cats are in a good mood
    (I'm being flippant here but you get the picture)

Speaking from experience, I rarely spent more than around 90 minutes to 2 hours researching a firm and I'd consider myself moderately proficient at general research and quite quick at synthesising/ extrapolating key info. I also looked for very specific pieces of information and, by and large, knew exactly where I would find them before I started searching which saved me a lot of time.

Last edited:

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Depends on a trillion factors to be honest. Some key variables:

• how technical/ complex the information you're looking for is
    • how much information the firm has posted about them online (e.g. an MC firm will probably have a lot more info than a semi-boutique American outfit or a regional firm
    • what you need the research for
    • how good you are at researching
    • your ability to synthesise the mass of information you'll be presented with
    • whether the stars are aligned and the local cats are in a good mood
    (I'm being flippant here but you get the picture)

Speaking from experience, I rarely spent more than around 90 minutes to 2 hours researching a firm and I'd consider myself moderately proficient at general research and quite quick at synthesising/ extrapolating key info. I also looked for very specific pieces of information and, by and large, knew exactly where I would find them before I started searching which saved me a lot of time.
    Sorry, I know this has probably already been asked a million times, but what kind of things/websites did you use (I don't know if there is a thread/article about this already).

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Sorry, I know this has probably already been asked a million times, but what kind of things/websites did you use (I don't know if there is a thread/article about this already).
    • Firm's graduate website
    • Chambers Student
    • Legal Cheek
    • The Lawyer
    • IFLR
    • Google
    • Firm's LinkedIn page
    • The Legal500
    • Chambers & Partners

Last edited:

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    • Firm's graduate website
    • Chambers Student
    • Legal Cheek
    • The Lawyer
    • IFLR
    • Google
    • Firm's LinkedIn page
    • The Legal500
    • Chambers & Partners

To add:
    • Vault (like Legal Cheek but for American firms, or more specifically, firms in America)
    • Firm (ALM) Annual Reports (good for finding out the closest competitors of, and financial information for, American firms). Not many people seem to know about this, so here is an example for Jones Day: PowerPoint Presentation (alm.com)
    • RollOnFriday (good for salary progression stats and news)
    • Firm's Twitter (sometimes firms use this more than LinkedIn)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.