Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys!

I am looking for some advice and was hoping you could help me.

I know some of you have different careers and jobs (non-law related), and some have recently graduated and been able to secure some great jobs. I wanted to ask you what are your tips and thoughts on writing a great cover letter? And I mean cover letters for positions other than vac schemes or TCs.

I am currently actively seeking a full time job and most of the opportunities I am applying for require cover letters. While I have written cover letters for law firm applications, I am unhappy with the cover letters I have written for other job opportunities and feel that I fall short with my applications because of that. So I would welcome any insights into what I could do to ensure that I write some strong cover letters.
Very simply, write:

- why them
- why the opportunity
- why you

As advised above, look closely at the job description and try to link specific details about you to the requirements of the job.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Rejection from Travers post-app.

That rounds off my application cycle! 6 ACs, 5 VS offers and numeerrrooouuss rejections!

I'm sure I'll be back soon to tackle some direct TC apps :)
With 5 VS offers, I doubt you will need to make that many direct TC apps!

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
I just found out that I have been put on the reserve list for a VS :oops:
I am having very mixed emotions about this - it's the furthest I have gotten in the current and past cycles, yet I can't help but to feel a bit disappointed in myself for not performing well enough to be offered a place straight away :(
Also given how competitive this cycle is, I really don't know if anyone will reject an offer so that I can eventually be offered a place...
Do you mind me asking what firm this was for? I haven’t heard back from one firm post interview which was now 10 weeks ago and still nothing- wondering if they’ve made a reserve list but just haven’t been told yet lol

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    I totally understand how you feel because one on the one hand you don't want to get your hopes up but on the other, you are a bit annoyed you didn't get the place outright... the only thing I'll say is that people pull out of VSs due to accepting TCs/clashes with other firms VSs all the time so fingers crossed you'll get on it!

Might be worth asking the firm where you are on the waitlist as that may help you manage expectations?
    Thanks for the advice Daniel, really appreciate it! :)

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but my vac schemes overlap by a week. They don't do direct training contract route - do you think it would be appropriate to ask if I am allowed to only complete one week of the VS? Because if not, I' would have to turn down the offer.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but my vac schemes overlap by a week. They don't do direct training contract route - do you think it would be appropriate to ask if I am allowed to only complete one week of the VS? Because if not, I' would have to turn down the offer.

You can ask but be prepared for the firm to say no. I'd also be wary of how this would affect your chances at the TC since you'll be gaining less exposure and potentially be assessed on less tasks. I know someone personally who was allowed to do only one week of a vac and somehow got the TC offer, but I would say this is the exception and definitely not the norm.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys!

I am looking for some advice and was hoping you could help me.

I know some of you have different careers and jobs (non-law related), and some have recently graduated and been able to secure some great jobs. I wanted to ask you what are your tips and thoughts on writing a great cover letter? And I mean cover letters for positions other than vac schemes or TCs.

I am currently actively seeking a full time job and most of the opportunities I am applying for require cover letters. While I have written cover letters for law firm applications, I am unhappy with the cover letters I have written for other job opportunities and feel that I fall short with my applications because of that. So I would welcome any insights into what I could do to ensure that I write some strong cover letters.

Hi,

I've successfully applied to a few non-law graduate schemes now and my general CL structure is

1. Why am I interested in the role/opportunity - I'd focus on demonstrating a tangible link between my own experiences and the role
    2. Why that particular company
    3. Why me - what skills I could bring and linking it very clearly to the skills and responsibilities mentioned in the job description

I also think that compared to law firm cover letters, you should keep non-law ones as short as possible. Anything over a page and its probably already too long.

Reactions: ola830 and Jacob Miller
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.