2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
First email post-WG - 26/03 stating we would hear back by the end of the following week.
Second email post-WG - 01/04 - suggested that because there had been so many high-calibre apps the short-listing was taking longer than expected and we should expect to hear back in the next two weeks (that was exactly 2 weeks ago today)
ooh so i just didn't get the second email. Hope we hear back by the end of the week then!

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
For a question that asks about your greatest non-academic achievement in the last 2 years, would it be advisable to use the fact as an international student I've not been able to go home for over a year and have lived on my own through the lockdowns? or is that not meaty enough?

A

Anon 11031

For a question that asks about your greatest non-academic achievement in the last 2 years, would it be advisable to use the fact as an international student I've not been able to go home for over a year and have lived on my own through the lockdowns? or is that not meaty enough?
In my opinion that's maybe a little too vague and I would try and opt for something more specific that you can give a better structure to. But I'm not 100% certain. Maybe @Jessica Booker has some thoughts? ☺️

Although saying that, I don't really know what Pinsent's are expecting from us considering for 1 and a half of those 2 years we've not been able to do anything 😂

Reactions: MLF and FM302989

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
In my opinion that's maybe a little too vague and I would try and opt for something more specific that you can give a better structure to. But I'm not 100% certain. Maybe @Jessica Booker has some thoughts? ☺️

Although saying that, I don't really know what Pinsent's are expecting from us considering for 1 and a half of those 2 years we've not been able to do anything 😂
Thats what i thought! I have a pretty good one from some work I've done on a uni society but I am conscious that maybe ill come off a bit plastic-y and disingenuous lol, really hard to strike the balance between showing your personality and being employable hehe

Reactions: Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thats what i thought! I have a pretty good one from some work I've done on a uni society but I am conscious that maybe ill come off a bit plastic-y and disingenuous lol, really hard to strike the balance between showing your personality and being employable hehe
The problem I have with the original answer is it isn’t quite unique enough for me. Many people could probably say the same, well at least coming up two years. I suspect the content could be good for the question, but I’d just be concerned your reader could think the same could be said for many people they know.

Reactions: LeilaScott

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Is this for Pinsent Masons, by any chance? I hated that question - it's especially tough at the moment, given that most of us haven't really gotten to do much of anything in the past year due to Covid. I used being the ULaw campus representative & being recognised with two awards as my example. I explained that I took the role to challenging myself & building new skills, and then discussed challenges I had and how I overcame them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anon 11031

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I just had a call from a graduate recruiter at a law firm about a role she thinks I would be interested in, and it wasn't like an interview or anything but I was so surprised she called me and I was in the middle of an online session.... and so I feel like I blew it.

I do think I sounded enthusiastic about the role, but when she asked me about my career goal....all I could muster was that I want to qualify as a solicitor. I could tell by her reaction that she expected a bit more... but my stupid brain blanked and I didn't say anything else. Once the call ended my mind was flooded with so many things I could have added...and now I can just cry and am beating myself up because this can be such a great opportunity for me after months of struggling to find anything....and I feel like I didn't even make a good impression 😭😭😭😭😭

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I just had a call from a graduate recruiter at a law firm about a role she thinks I would be interested in, and it wasn't like an interview or anything but I was so surprised she called me and I was in the middle of an online session.... and so I feel like I blew it.

I do think I sounded enthusiastic about the role, but when she asked me about my career goal....all I could muster was that I want to qualify as a solicitor. I could tell by her reaction that she expected a bit more... but my stupid brain blanked and I didn't say anything else. Once the call ended my mind was flooded with so many things I could have added...and now I can just cry and am beating myself up because this can be such a great opportunity for me after months of struggling to find anything....and I feel like I didn't even make a good impression 😭😭😭😭😭
    That's not very nice of them to call like that with no forewarning. You probably did better than you think you did!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Honestly, anyone would find it difficult to answer on-the-spot questions like that, so please don't beat yourself up about this! As @whisperingrock said, you probably did better than you think - your mind is most likely replaying the answers you feel you didn't do well on, rather than allowing you to take credit for managing to answer some of the questions well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.