Status
Not open for further replies.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hey guys! for a post-VS TC interview, I have been told that I will be asked some motivational and 'some broader competency based Qs'. I understand I should tweak my motivational qs based on my experience at the firm, but should I be doing the same with the competency qs? for example, for a teamwork example, should I talk about the group task/for the organisation example should I talk about managing multiple tasks during the scheme? essentially I'm not sure If I can mention experiences outside the scheme.

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
I have a final interview for an international vacation scheme in two weeks.
I already passed the assessment centre, and now I'm going to be doing a 45-minute interview with a partner from an international office.

They said I can expect to be asked about my knowledge of the local market and general commercial awareness. I'm not sure how to prep for this, as it's not a full commercial awareness exercise I've done in my past ACs. Does anyone have any tips for these short interviews?

(the interview will also consist of why this firm, why the international scheme and why law, but not competency)

Future$trainee

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 13, 2020
Has anyone heard back from Browne Jacobson?? It's literally been over a month since I applied. They did state in their confirmation email that if you didn't hear back from them in the 'next few weeks' then it was a rejection, so I'm assuming my app hasn't been taken forward... 🤷‍♀️

Angry New York GIF

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Did anyone else just never hear back from Mayer Brown after applying for a vacation scheme? I did my phone interview in late December and never heard from them again. I already chased them twice to no avail so I'm not gonna bother with them now, but curious if anyone else had the same issue?
    Yeh I remember people saying a couple of weeks ago that they had emailed to say that they'd filled all of their VS spaces!

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hey guys! for a post-VS TC interview, I have been told that I will be asked some motivational and 'some broader competency based Qs'. I understand I should tweak my motivational qs based on my experience at the firm, but should I be doing the same with the competency qs? for example, for a teamwork example, should I talk about the group task/for the organisation example should I talk about managing multiple tasks during the scheme? essentially I'm not sure If I can mention experiences outside the scheme.
    Heya, so I definitely agree about tweaking the motivational qs but I don't think there's any need to do the same with competency qs personally (I certainly didn't!)

Reactions: Dheepa

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Has anyone heard back from Browne Jacobson?? It's literally been over a month since I applied. They did state in their confirmation email that if you didn't hear back from them in the 'next few weeks' then it was a rejection, so I'm assuming my app hasn't been taken forward... 🤷‍♀️

Angry New York GIF

It's not a PFO till its a PFO. Email graduate recruitment if you're curious to know where they're at. But I suspect the answer as to why they haven't gotten back to anyone is that they have been inundated with applications like all other moderately large commercial firms, and also had their app form open a lot later than most. Just look at what has happened to Reed Smith, who took a similar approach.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Did anyone else just never hear back from Mayer Brown after applying for a vacation scheme? I did my phone interview in late December and never heard from them again. I already chased them twice to no avail so I'm not gonna bother with them now, but curious if anyone else had the same issue?
    Mayer Brown has a bad habit of ghosting even pre-covid.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

No I don't think you'd need to tweak competency answers! I will say that I thought I was pushed a lot harder on my competency answers as well, lots of follow up questions on small details I mentioned, so maybe just prepare for that.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    What do you guys think counts as a good example of strong organisational skills?

Would talking about a time when I handled multiple commitments simultaneously and was successful in them be seen as showing that I have strong organisational skills? I just struggle to think of appropriate examples that demonstrate this - anyone has any ideas/thoughts?

Hey, so while I think time management is an element of good organisational skills, it isn't an entirely necessary part of it. Organisation to me refers to what kind of systems do you have in place when approaching tasks? Are you systematic about breaking down what it involves, what steps you have to take, how you record your progress etc. Do you have a planner, do you use lists, how do you manage your capacity to complete additional things in a day? I hope that hasn't been to vague and has given you some ideas.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ola830

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    PFO from Irwin Mitchell London office, gutted about this one! This is my second cycle applying to them, I even had my app reviewed by someone at the firm and they gave it the green light :/

I didn't apply to many vac schemes this year but I still haven't managed to get past app stage in 2 cycles 😅
    Apply again firms will appreciate that, though it is frustrating I didn’t get my first vacation scheme till this year..... it’s now my 4th cycle

Reactions: TT98 and Matt_96

Future$trainee

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 13, 2020
    It's not a PFO till its a PFO. Email graduate recruitment if you're curious to know where they're at. But I suspect the answer as to why they haven't gotten back to anyone is that they have been inundated with applications like all other moderately large commercial firms, and also had their app form open a lot later than most. Just look at what has happened to Reed Smith, who took a similar approach.
    Thanks Matt. Yeah that's true, it seems like a lot of law firms are overwhelmed with applications this year. I'll wait a week or so before sending an email, as it seems like most people still haven't heard back.

Reactions: Matt_96

CJCH

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 2, 2020

Angry New York GIF
    Don't assume it is a PFO. :) Their email specifically says they will contact the applicants for Vacation Scheme / Training Contract again after reviewing the apps. Last year it also took almost a month to have the invite to online tests. I think they are still reviewing as there would be much more applications this year.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What do you guys think counts as a good example of strong organisational skills?

Would talking about a time when I handled multiple commitments simultaneously and was successful in them be seen as showing that I have strong organisational skills? I just struggle to think of appropriate examples that demonstrate this - anyone has any ideas/thoughts?
    Yes - this sounds like a good example just ensure there is something unique about what you were balancing. Sometimes people will focus on things a lot of candidates will be balancing (eg academics with general extra curriculars), so you just have to think what really stands out of what you were balancing. Also try to focus on a very specific timeframe - sometimes people will talk about a whole academic year, and that isn’t really appropriate for this type of question. Focusing on a more specific and shorter period of time would be more appropriate.

Reactions: ola830 and michal98

blairh

Standard Member
    Future Trainee
  • May 19, 2020

Angry New York GIF
    I emailed grad rec and they said they're still reviewing! Also said they intend to get back to everyone regardless of outcome :)

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    Really sorry to hear that mate! However, if I were to give some advice, it would be to not rely on what someone at the firm says unless they are a graduate recruiter at that firm or involved with recruitment in some way.

In my experience, the lawyers you speak to will universally want the best for you as they understand how competitive getting into law is. However, unless there is a specific role for lawyers in reading graduate applications, their advice may not be that helpful because they are usually quite removed from the process.

Most trainees are at least 1-2 years out of whack with recruitment cycles. And this presumes that they 1) studied law and 2) went straight into it after finishing university. Other trainees will have to do the GDL as well as the LPC and may have to wait a year or more before they start. Others may defer it for a year for personal reasons e.g. to travel. Associates are even further removed as they may have done those things and then had to train for two years, or even moved firms since then. Partners are on a different planet. One who used to mentor me said that when he applied in the 90s you could apply to 10 City firms and expect 9 interviews, just with a CV and covering letter - none of the pesky online tests or VIs or anything! So the relevance of his application experience was actually quite slim, and something I found frustrating during my mentorship.

So with this in mind, if anyone who isn't directly involved in recruitment says it looks great, just bear in mind that they might not be able to give you an honest assessment of how a recruiter or recruitment partner/associate, who will be reading most of those applications, may respond.
    Thanks, the 90s sounds like the best decade to have been looking for a training contract! :')
    Apply again firms will appreciate that, though it is frustrating I didn’t get my first vacation scheme till this year..... it’s now my 4th cycle
    Definitely applying again, I went to a careers event and one first year trainee said they applied to the firm for 8 years before they got in! It's just tough to keep applying but we'll get there!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Matt_96 and Legalmel_99

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    A non-law Q but has anyone heard back at all from Disney? I wasn't eligible to apply for the graduate legal internship but I've ben waiting on another role for 7 weeks now 😅 I don't know if grad rec just like to take their time or if the silence is a pfo

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.