a confused law student's TC journey :)

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Preparing for my Vac Scheme!

So my VS starts in 24 days and I am SO NERVOUS and feel so unprepared. I haven't done much at all to prepare for it so far so I'm feeling very stressed. Haven't even been reading the FT or anything :(( Anyway, this is my action plan for making sure I am as prepared as possible:

- Finish the Pinsent Masons Commercial Law Forage
    - Do at least 3 more Forage schemes (one more on commercial law, another on real estate, and one on employment)
    - Read the FT EVERYDAY - no exceptions!
    - Watch some commercial law talks online
    - Analyse at least one commercial news story every day

If anyone has any other tips on how to prepare please let me know!
    I didn't do a vacation scheme at Eversheds, but I did do a VS at one of its competitors (where I secured a TC). I also felt really incredibly nervous and unprepared in the days leading up to my VS. But looking back, there's no need to feel nervous or unprepared at all. You already went through a rigorous selection process to get here, so the firm already sees your potential. Now, it's more about whether you're the right fit for the firm, and vice versa, which ultimately is about being relaxed, being yourself and having fun there. It is good that you want to be prepared, but I think your action plan is a bit much, especially with the Forage schemes. Although, if you think doing all that will make you less nervous, go for it.

Personally, I only read the news as I normally do, but even this wasn't even that helpful because the tasks I got assigned were pretty straightforward. I only referred to the news once in conversation because it just so happens to coincide with their current work. Most of my conversations were not even commercial-related and was actually about random stuff (like TV shows and travel spots) or personal journey and experience at the firm. Whenever I do ask about their work, I mainly just listened and asked follow-up questions. And I definitely did not have anyone quiz me about the news. To be fair, I don't know what you'll be during your VS or what the firm's culture is like, but if anything, I think honing your ability to understand problems and consideration, and think of solutions is more important than knowing the news.

Here are my other tips:
    1. Reach out to future trainees on LinkedIn who did the VS last year and get an insight into what they did during the VS to tailor your action plan.
    2. Keep track of your work during your VS including details like who the work is for, context, due date, frequency of progress report, etc.
    3. Go and meet different people in the firm when you're there – introduce yourself, ask questions and actively listen.
    4. If you need clarification in relation to a task, don't hesitate to ask but try and figure things out yourself first.
    5. Be proactive about doing tasks, but if you really don't have the capacity for new tasks, let them know.
    Congrats and best of luck on your VS!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Erin and laubedusixjuin

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    I didn't do a vacation scheme at Eversheds, but I did do a VS at one of its competitors (where I secured a TC). I also felt really incredibly nervous and unprepared in the days leading up to my VS. But looking back, there's no need to feel nervous or unprepared at all. You already went through a rigorous selection process to get here, so the firm already sees your potential. Now, it's more about whether you're the right fit for the firm, and vice versa, which ultimately is about being relaxed, being yourself and having fun there. It is good that you want to be prepared, but I think your action plan is a bit much, especially with the Forage schemes. Although, if you think doing all that will make you less nervous, go for it.

Personally, I only read the news as I normally do, but even this wasn't even that helpful because the tasks I got assigned were pretty straightforward. I only referred to the news once in conversation because it just so happens to coincide with their current work. Most of my conversations were not even commercial-related and was actually about random stuff (like TV shows and travel spots) or personal journey and experience at the firm. Whenever I do ask about their work, I mainly just listened and asked follow-up questions. And I definitely did not have anyone quiz me about the news. To be fair, I don't know what you'll be during your VS or what the firm's culture is like, but if anything, I think honing your ability to understand problems and consideration, and think of solutions is more important than knowing the news.

Here are my other tips:
    1. Reach out to future trainees on LinkedIn who did the VS last year and get an insight into what they did during the VS to tailor your action plan.
    2. Keep track of your work during your VS including details like who the work is for, context, due date, frequency of progress report, etc.
    3. Go and meet different people in the firm when you're there – introduce yourself, ask questions and actively listen.
    4. If you need clarification in relation to a task, don't hesitate to ask but try and figure things out yourself first.
    5. Be proactive about doing tasks, but if you really don't have the capacity for new tasks, let them know.
    This is so helpful - thank you so much!

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023

Here are my other tips:
    Agree with all the points @confusedlawstudent and @RANDOTRON has made and would like to add the following things that helped me both before and during the VS:
    1. Keep a diary about every single thing you learn/have heard during the VS - talks, work, coffee chats etc. I used a cheap blank notebook but you can use a notes app. It is SO important you are able to properly reflect on what you have learned about yourself and the firm which will help you provide genuine answers about those topics in the exit interview.
    2. Appearances are key and I am not (just) talking about looking smart. Make sure you are respectful and engaged in every conversation/activity. Good manners may seem like an obvious trait to demonstrate but you would be surprised how negatively impactful even one slight slip in manners or tone or not paying attention can be. The firm is putting a huge amount of effort into ensuring your VS is a fruitful experience for everyone involved, make sure your conduct on the VS simply reflects your respect for that fact.
    3. Look up the long-term strategy of the firm (i.e. their business plan and particular areas of growth) on FT or on their website before you start and then fill in the minutae of their plan during the VS. You should decipher whether this fits in with your career interests.
    4. Practice researching if you haven't already - universities often provide good Westlaw and Lexis Nexis introductions (you can access Westlaw and Lexis Nexis on uni library services)
    5. When you are undertaking the work tasks, jot down a map of how you got to each of your answers - even if you end up with the wrong answer, 90% of your research might have been right and you will want to demonstrate that.
    6. Put your absolute all into the group exercise (aligning with the comments in the above post I made). Spend ample time preparing for it too!
    7. Actively reaching out to other lawyers (perhaps in areas of particular interest) to have coffee chats with them or even just simply emailing to ask particular questions (lawyers are busy people). By the time of your exit interview, you should have a complete view of the firm and how it fits against your career goals/aims and your skillset. Ideally, you shouldn't have any outstanding questions. That way, when you are asked 'Why X firm' you can offer a tailored answer.

Hope this insight helps! - Laura :)

Reactions: confusedlawstudent

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Preparing for my Vac Scheme!

So my VS starts in 24 days and I am SO NERVOUS and feel so unprepared. I haven't done much at all to prepare for it so far so I'm feeling very stressed. Haven't even been reading the FT or anything :(( Anyway, this is my action plan for making sure I am as prepared as possible:

- Finish the Pinsent Masons Commercial Law Forage
    - Do at least 3 more Forage schemes (one more on commercial law, another on real estate, and one on employment)
    - Read the FT EVERYDAY - no exceptions!
    - Watch some commercial law talks online
    - Analyse at least one commercial news story every day

If anyone has any other tips on how to prepare please let me know!
    Just a little update on how I have been preparing for my vac scheme:

✅ Completed the Pinsent Masons Commercial Law Forage
    ✅ Completed the Allen & Overy Employment Law Forage
    ✅ Devoted significantly more time to reading the news
    ❌ Did not watch any commercial law talks

I have also been watching vac scheme advice videos on YouTube and reading Jake Schogger's 'Training Contract Handbook' (which is unbelievably helpful!).

My goals for the rest of the week are:
    - Complete another Forage scheme
    - Continue reading the news everyday
    - Watch the Legal Cheek talk on 'listed law firms and the deregulation of the legal market'
    - Watch the Legal Cheek talk on 'technology and the future of law'

Reactions: flower

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Just a little update on how I have been preparing for my vac scheme:

✅ Completed the Pinsent Masons Commercial Law Forage
    ✅ Completed the Allen & Overy Employment Law Forage
    ✅ Devoted significantly more time to reading the news
    ❌ Did not watch any commercial law talks

I have also been watching vac scheme advice videos on YouTube and reading Jake Schogger's 'Training Contract Handbook' (which is unbelievably helpful!).

My goals for the rest of the week are:
    - Complete another Forage scheme
    - Continue reading the news everyday
    - Watch the Legal Cheek talk on 'listed law firms and the deregulation of the legal market'
    - Watch the Legal Cheek talk on 'technology and the future of law'
    Woohoo! You're crushing it, keep it up!

Sharing my favourite news sources which I used to prep, in case you're interested:
    • FT Lex
    • FT Due Diligence
    • FT Asset Management (just interesting reads for me, not strictly necessary)
    • The Daily Upside
    • FT Unhedged
    Just so happen to come across this on a old forum – hope it helps calm the nerves: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-sweat-the-small-stuff-vacation-schemes.3998/

Last edited:

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Woohoo! You're crushing it, keep it up!

Sharing my favourite news sources which I used to prep, in case you're interested:
    • FT Lex
    • FT Due Diligence
    • FT Asset Management (just interesting reads for me, not strictly necessary)
    • The Daily Upside
    • FT Unhedged
    Just so happen to come across this on a old forum – hope it helps calm the nerves: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/don’t-sweat-the-small-stuff-vacation-schemes.3998/
    Thank you so much for that!

I am just wondering did you have to use a lot of your commercial awareness during the scheme? If so, was this only on the tasks or did you also bring up, for example, FT articles when speaking with trainees, partners etc? I don't think my commercial knowledge is very strong so I am quite worried about this!

Also, I will not be doing a corporate seat during my VS, but do you still think reading FT due diligence and gaining more knowledge of things like corporate finance and private equity is necessary?

Thanks again :)

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Commercial awareness is a very broad term, so it depends on how you define it. How I define it is a way of thinking and understanding business and stuff happening around the world. In this sense, I did use it in my tasks and in conversation during my VS – I also didn't do a corporate seat. But I want to caveat that every firm is different, so my VS experience might be different to yours.

All of my VS tasks were very straightforward (eg, update this presentation, proofread a contract, researching an upcoming legislation) so they mostly involve other skills like research, writing, presentation, etc. But commercial awareness was useful in terms of understanding the context and importance of the task I was doing. I wasn't asked to recite any news, and was only asked once to read a piece of news and write a very short summary for an internal publication.

As for conversations, I didn't bring up any FT articles or news. My conversation topics was a mixed bag ranging from their thoughts on and experience at the firm/their department to topics completely unrelated to work, like clothing brands. I do frequently ask about their current work, and commercial awareness does helps in enabling me to ask intelligent follow-up questions. For instance, a lawyer I spoke to was talking about some of the issues they were facing in their current project, and I followed-up with questions about ways to resolve those issues. I mostly spoke with people within my assigned department – I did speak to people outside of my department but only at social events or where I was introduced. I'd suggest stick within your department first and only if you have time as Jessica suggested in another forum. At the end of the day though, the key is to let the conversation naturally flow (silence is also a natural part of a conversation).

Commercial awareness was important during my in-tray exercise and interviewed becauseI was tested on it in terms of my way of thinking/understanding.

Overall, I'd say it certainly won't hurt to keep up to date on the news and build your knowledge. Knowing finance will be useful for any department just because it touches everything. I wouldn't overthink this – you're doing really good prep (certainly more than what I did), so just keep doing what you're doing, be yourself, have fun and crush it!

Do keep in touch via this thread – I'd love to hear about your VS experience!

Last edited:

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Thank you so much for that!

I am just wondering did you have to use a lot of your commercial awareness during the scheme? If so, was this only on the tasks or did you also bring up, for example, FT articles when speaking with trainees, partners etc? I don't think my commercial knowledge is very strong so I am quite worried about this!

Also, I will not be doing a corporate seat during my VS, but do you still think reading FT due diligence and gaining more knowledge of things like corporate finance and private equity is necessary?

Thanks again :)
    Check out some of Jake Rickman's AMAZING articles on recent commercial events - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/ams/categories/commercial-awareness.1/

There is also an opportunity engage in the comments if you have any questions/opinions to offer :)

Hope this helps!

Laura :)

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    It's been a few months since I updated here as I have been feeling very unmotivated :(

I failed to secure a TC from my Vac Scheme, so since hearing about the rejection I began to rethink a legal career and felt like the rejection meant I wasn't good enough to be a lawyer. Anyway, after a lot of thought, I've decided I still want to be a solicitor, and will try to get a paralegal role to gain more experience.

I've applied for 16 paralegal roles so far, and have either got rejections or no response yet. It is a lot more difficult than I thought to secure a paralegal role. I'm really hoping I get one soon as I'm going crazy lol. I think my CV just isn't good enough so if anyone has any advice on writing paralegal CVs, that would be really helpful.

Reactions: idktbh7

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    It's been a few months since I updated here as I have been feeling very unmotivated :(

I failed to secure a TC from my Vac Scheme, so since hearing about the rejection I began to rethink a legal career and felt like the rejection meant I wasn't good enough to be a lawyer. Anyway, after a lot of thought, I've decided I still want to be a solicitor, and will try to get a paralegal role to gain more experience.

I've applied for 16 paralegal roles so far, and have either got rejections or no response yet. It is a lot more difficult than I thought to secure a paralegal role. I'm really hoping I get one soon as I'm going crazy lol. I think my CV just isn't good enough so if anyone has any advice on writing paralegal CVs, that would be really helpful.
    Sorry to hear that, but keep your head up! You are good enough to be a lawyer and the fact that you did a vacation scheme is a major feather in your cap. I won't lie to you: From personal experience, it is hard to get a paralegal role, but that shouldn't stop you. I'm not sure if you've done this already, but you could look into speaking to some recruiters directly and forwarding your CV. I also know of two firms that take on paralegals directly. If you're interested, I can PM you the names.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Sorry to hear that, but keep your head up! You are good enough to be a lawyer and the fact that you did a vacation scheme is a major feather in your cap. I won't lie to you: From personal experience, it is hard to get a paralegal role, but that shouldn't stop you. I'm not sure if you've done this already, but you could look into speaking to some recruiters directly and forwarding your CV. I also know of two firms that take on paralegals directly. If you're interested, I can PM you the names.
    Thank you so much for this! Yes it has been EXTREMELY difficult to find a paralegal role so far. Genuinely think it is more difficult than getting a Vac Scheme haha
    I have contacted many recruiters, either through their website, or individual recruiters on LinkedIn and none of them have responded. I just don't know what to do now!
    If you could PM me those names that would be great thank you!!
    Do you know of any other jobs I could do that aren't becoming a paralegal?

Reactions: idktbh7

cattlawapps324

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2024
    Congrats on your progress through December!

Do you have a plan for how you will develop your commercial awareness? I'd be happy to help in any way that's useful for you. Looking forward to seeing your hard work pay off!
    In a very
    Just going to give a quick update on my progress!

Over December I:
    ✅ Completed the TCLA M&A course (and really enjoyed it actually!)
    ✅ Completed the Bristows TC application
    ✅ Submitted 4 more VS applications
    ❌ I have not devoted as much time to commercial awareness as I would have liked, so this is something I will try to make more time for this month.

This month is when most of the VS deadlines are, so it is going to be busy. I also have the Addleshaw Goddard VI to do as well. There are 9 more vacation schemes I would like to apply to this month. However, I don't want to go for quantity over quality, so I am going to aim to submit 5 more, and do them to the best of my ability, and if I have time I will do the others.

Goals for this month:
    - Submit at least 5 more VS applications
    - Devote substantially more time to commercial awareness

It honestly feels like this is a never-ending journey, but I will not stop until I get a TC!

Thank you for everyone's help so far!
    Heyy, just wanted to say congrats on all the effort you've put in so far! I'm in a very similar position to you rn and it's definitely a stressful and seemingly never-ending process (and can also feel quite lonely when the rejections come in lol). I did way less work than you in December and especially the past couple of weeks which were a total write-off! But also agree that we have a lot of time this month to roll out the applications. So I hope it goes well and good luck with everything! :D

cattlawapps324

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2024
    Congrats on your progress through December!

Do you have a plan for how you will develop your commercial awareness? I'd be happy to help in any way that's useful for you. Looking forward to seeing your hard work pay off!
    Hii, I'm also applying right now like confusedlaw and thought I'd jump on this thread. Would be super grateful for any general developing commercial awareness tips you may have, as ngl I have been neglecting it slightly over the past few weeks! Thanks in advance xx

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Thank you so much for this! Yes it has been EXTREMELY difficult to find a paralegal role so far. Genuinely think it is more difficult than getting a Vac Scheme haha
    I have contacted many recruiters, either through their website, or individual recruiters on LinkedIn and none of them have responded. I just don't know what to do now!
    If you could PM me those names that would be great thank you!!
    Do you know of any other jobs I could do that aren't becoming a paralegal
    Hey, terribly sorry I missed this, it's been a busy few months. The names of the two firms are Dentons via their Legal Delivery Centre and Pinsent Masons via their Vario platform. It would be worth searching up recruiters for those departments, expressing your interest and shooting over your CV.

As for jobs other than paralegal, it really depends on you. If you want to stay within the legal sphere, you could look into roles like compliance or legal analyst. Alternatively, you could try and apply for in-house paralegal roles. There's also nothing wrong with straying outside the legal sphere and doing something completely different. Again, it's totally up to you and what you want to do.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: confusedlawstudent

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.