A&O Shearman Merger - How will it benefit a trainee?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi, all. Hope you are doing well. Could anyone explain why the merger will benefit, let's say someone, who wants to do M&A at A&O. I get that the merger will allow A&O, the access to the US market but I'm not sure how that would benefit trainees/associates in the M&A teams at A&O. What is it about getting access to the US market that's so lucrative? Thanks in advance.

lpcstudent2021

Feb 15, 2022
American securities law is the most complex / well used besides English law by major companies. This brings in a lot more money for the partners. At associate level, it allows teams to speak to someone whose NY and UK qualified for expertise in cross border matters without requiring a best friend law firm which they may have used previously. Although in reality it’s not great for the associates as jobs may be cut as lawyers are deemed superfluous to requirements or are fighting over the same positions. I wouldn’t mention this at interview though.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.