A Question on Practice Area

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Heya all :)

I have a quick question!

I'm applying for one of Cleary's offices in Asia. I just talked to an ex-associate. She said that the firm ususally recruits trainees to work in corporate finance. However, I am drawn to Cleary for its strong antitrust practice in the US.

Should I still use its antitrust practice as one of the reasons for applying?

Thanks!

PMF_II

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Heya all :)

I have a quick question!

I'm applying for one of Cleary's offices in Asia. I just talked to an ex-associate. She said that the firm ususally recruits trainees to work in corporate finance. However, I am drawn to Cleary for its strong antitrust practice in the US.

Should I still use its antitrust practice as one of the reasons for applying?

Thanks!

I think your reasons for applying to an office should align with its strengths. If they mainly recuit trainees for corporate finance, that practice area probably generates most work and profit for them. As a result, you’re more likely to get interesting work there.

You should also research the antitrust team of the office you’re applying to. If the team only has 2-3 people and primarily supports deals rather than generating their own work, they probably won’t want to take on any trainee. Then there’s no point mentioning antitrust as a reason for applying.

Offices in Asia are small, so naturally choices are more limited. I would say you need to put more weight on the firm’s position in the local market than your personal preferences.

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
I think your reasons for applying to an office should align with its strengths. If they mainly recuit trainees for corporate finance, that practice area probably generates most work and profit for them. As a result, you’re more likely to get interesting work there.

You should also research the antitrust team of the office you’re applying to. If the team only has 2-3 people and primarily supports deals rather than generating their own work, they probably won’t want to take on any trainee. Then there’s no point mentioning antitrust as a reason for applying.

Offices in Asia are small, so naturally choices are more limited. I would say you need to put more weight on the firm’s position in the local market than your personal preferences.

Thank you !!!!

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018

@wwood if you werent aware already, you can find information about department size under Chambers Rankings, which is organised based on jurisdiction as well :)

Reactions: wwood

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.