Academic References

kslwnd

Sep 15, 2019
Hi everyone! I am applying for TCs and noticed quite a few firms ask for "academic references (undergraduate degree)". I graduated from my undergraduate institution a few years ago and have completed the LPC since - would it be okay to provide my LPC tutor's details instead of my undergraduate personal tutor's? I have asked graduate recruitment at one firm and they said it's fine but was unsure about this generally and wanted to ask.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi everyone! I am applying for TCs and noticed quite a few firms ask for "academic references (undergraduate degree)". I graduated from my undergraduate institution a few years ago and have completed the LPC since - would it be okay to provide my LPC tutor's details instead of my undergraduate personal tutor's? I have asked graduate recruitment at one firm and they said it's fine but was unsure about this generally and wanted to ask.
    I'm sure that would be absolutely fine but agree that it's worth checking with each firm just in case.

kslwnd

Sep 15, 2019
    I'm sure that would be absolutely fine but agree that it's worth checking with each firm just in case.
    That is probably a good idea, have emailed a few firms to ask. Thanks!

It would be wise to contact your LPC tutor first, to see whether they would be available to make a reference for you if they are requested to do so by the firms.
    He has already agreed to be my reference, thank you for the advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If it explicitly states undergraduate, then provide that. If it just say academic reference, then you choose which one is most appropriate.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.