Who to ask to be a personal reference?

sumi-na

Feb 11, 2023
Hi All,

The Stephenson Harwood TC application asks for 3 references, academic, work and personal references. For the first two, I think I'm fine.

But I don't know what kind of relationship is best to ask for a personal reference. I don't think I want to ask a friend. And my colleagues at my part-time work were my friends before we started working there. Should I ask a colleague I not close with, or is there another relationship they're expecting when they say 'personal' reference?

Any insight appreciated!

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Found this on Michael Page:

'Personal references are commonly provided by teachers, lecturers, group or club leaders, neighbours, friends and family members. Those providing the reference should know you well and be able to give examples that back up statements about your character. While friends and family are acceptable referees, it is better for you to select someone who is not immediate family as their opinion may be construed as being biased'.

Maybe somebody you were in a society with at university, or a sports team, or somebody that you have volunteered with?

sumi-na

Feb 11, 2023
    Found this on Michael Page:

'Personal references are commonly provided by teachers, lecturers, group or club leaders, neighbours, friends and family members. Those providing the reference should know you well and be able to give examples that back up statements about your character. While friends and family are acceptable referees, it is better for you to select someone who is not immediate family as their opinion may be construed as being biased'.

Maybe somebody you were in a society with at university, or a sports team, or somebody that you have volunteered with?
    Thanks for this!

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Hi @sumi-na ,

I would still ask for a personal reference from someone you know well from a professional setting. The info on Michael Page is correct - typically someone who knows you well and has witnessed your achievements/performance and can talk about those in enough detail. Friends and family are acceptable, but I would say a teacher, lecturer or club leader will have better knowledge of your abilities.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: sumi-na

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Someone who has known you for more than five years, and on a level that can talk about your character and personality. Ideally someone who works in a profession connected or related to the industry you are applying to, or who works in a professional/office working environment (eg manager level in the type of organisation that might be a client of the firm you are applying to). Alternatively someone in a recognised profession, eg teacher, nurse, accountant, surveyor, dentist, civil servant.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.