Advice for my son

Mrcerec

Standard Member
Dec 8, 2023
Hi

My son is turning 27, has a masters in Politics from LSE, works in a top firm in comms for the last 3 years.

Wants to swap to corporate Law. In the last year has got to the final round of Freshfields and Weil. Got vacation schemes with Vinson & Elkins and Eversheds. Unfortunately not offered a TC with any.

What should he do next? Keep applying- he's finding it all a real slog? Do the SQE independently?

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi

My son is turning 27, has a masters in Politics from LSE, works in a top firm in comms for the last 3 years.

Wants to swap to corporate Law. In the last year has got to the final round of Freshfields and Weil. Got vacation schemes with Vinson & Elkins and Eversheds. Unfortunately not offered a TC with any.

What should he do next? Keep applying- he's finding it all a real slog? Do the SQE independently?

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA
Just keep applying - it isn’t unusual for people to apply for 3 or so cycles until they are successful.

If your son is getting to interview stage he clearly has a good chance at success - he may just need to invest some time and energy in preparing and upskilling for interviews/assessment centres.

He could invest in the SQE but if his job keeps him busy, trying to balance the SQE alongside working and not getting dedicated time to study will be difficult. If he feels the applications are a slog, this will feel a lot worse when studying for the SQE too.

Studying for the SQE independently won’t stop the need to apply though, and clearly your son is getting interviews without the SQE - so to me this suggests this is not about his profile but about his skill set. The SQE is unlikely to develop that skill set.

Reactions: CallumJR

Mrcerec

Standard Member
Dec 8, 2023
Just keep applying - it isn’t unusual for people to apply for 3 or so cycles until they are successful.

If your son is getting to interview stage he clearly has a good chance at success - he may just need to invest some time and energy in preparing and upskilling for interviews/assessment centres.

He could invest in the SQE but if his job keeps him busy, trying to balance the SQE alongside working and not getting dedicated time to study will be difficult. If he feels the applications are a slog, this will feel a lot worse when studying for the SQE too.

Studying for the SQE independently won’t stop the need to apply though, and clearly your son is getting interviews without the SQE - so to me this suggests this is not about his profile but about his skill set. The SQE is unlikely to develop that skill set.
Hi Jessica, when you say that this is about his skill set, not his profile - what do you mean exactly ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, when you say that this is about his skill set, not his profile - what do you mean exactly ?
The skills he is presenting at interview/assessment centre.

I saw your other post, on the Willkie thread and I really don’t think a masters will improve his chances. He is getting to interview and so there is nothing wrong with his previous experience, it is more about how he is answering questions/delivering the assessments at that interview stage (and a masters won’t solve that).

Mrcerec

Standard Member
Dec 8, 2023
Thanks Jessica.

Now he has done 2 VS would he be best applying for more or direct for a TC? At his last interview with a large US firm he was down to the final 2. He was quizzed as to why he hadn't applied to the VS and went direct instead.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica.

Now he has done 2 VS would he be best applying for more or direct for a TC? At his last interview with a large US firm he was down to the final 2. He was quizzed as to why he hadn't applied to the VS and went direct instead.
I would apply to a mixture of both TC and VS depending on the firm, eligibility for the VS schemes and timings. Some firms will recruit trainees exclusively or so heavily from their vacation scheme programmes, that applying to these will be the best course of action. However, there will only be so many vacation schemes they can do, especially if they are having to take leave from work, and so making some direct TC applications makes sense too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.