Advice needed - Should I commit to LPC in September (self funded)

Jones

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 4, 2021
Should I commit to the LPC in September at ULaw?

Some context about me and my situation:
A) I do not have a training contract, and this is my first round of TC applications.

B) I attend a non russell group university and will be graduating this year (2022). I graduated first in my year (1/170 students) and was awarded numerous academic/extra curricular prizes. I also have some legal experience via volunteering.

C) I am hoping to study an academic masters (LLM/ equivalent at top uni next year (2023) (been encouraged to by multiple lecturers at my uni). This in theory would be after my LPC. Then hopefully move on to start training contract 2024.*

My questions
1. Do law firms (specifically magic/silver circle / top international commercial law firms) disadvantage those who self fund their own LPC?

2. Should I defer this year LPC place and do something else, start my academic LLM in 2023 and then have better luck with TCs

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thank you.

* I understand the realities of direct TC apps.

• ℹ️
Reactions: LawStudent2000

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Should I commit to the LPC in September at ULaw?

Some context about me and my situation:
A) I do not have a training contract, and this is my first round of TC applications.

B) I attend a non russell group university and will be graduating this year (2022). I graduated first in my year (1/170 students) and was awarded numerous academic/extra curricular prizes. I also have some legal experience via volunteering.

C) I am hoping to study an academic masters (LLM/ equivalent at top uni next year (2023) (been encouraged to by multiple lecturers at my uni). This in theory would be after my LPC. Then hopefully move on to start training contract 2024.*

My questions
1. Do law firms (specifically magic/silver circle / top international commercial law firms) disadvantage those who self fund their own LPC?

2. Should I defer this year LPC place and do something else, start my academic LLM in 2023 and then have better luck with TCs

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thank you.

* I understand the realities of direct TC apps.
I definitely wouldn’t defer the LPC - it is bascially coming to an end where the SQE has come in and you could find it a fairly redundant qualification by 2024. But at the same time if you wasn’t to pursue an LLM there is no point in doing the LPC this year either - I would say it’s is one or the other, not both.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alison C

Jones

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 4, 2021
I definitely wouldn’t defer the LPC - it is bascially coming to an end where the SQE has come in and you could find it a fairly redundant qualification by 2024. But at the same time if you wasn’t to pursue an LLM there is no point in doing the LPC this year either - I would say it’s is one or the other, not both.
Thank you for the response @Jessica Booker.

Just so I understand,

1. If thinking about deferring, dont - change it to SQE as LPC will be redundant after doing my academic masters.
2. Doing LPC in September 2022, followed by LLM (academic masters at another uni) in Sep 2023 is probably best option?

I am still wandering; would self funding an LPC disadvantage me in my applications to law firms?

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you are not doing a TC until at least 2024, then I don’t recommend doing the LPC at all. Most firms will have converted to the SQE by that point.

The LPC might only be worthwhile (in my opinion) if you are expecting to start a TC in 2023.

Reactions: AvniD and Jones

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for the advice,

In your personal view, what is the best option: meaning, in my circumstances, what should I do?
If you are determined to do the masters, then I would go for that and then try to apply to firms during your masters course and secure sponsorship for the SQE via a firm.

However, you don't necessarily need to do a masters - it won't automatically strengthen your application form, and there are alternative things you could choose to do instead (such as work either in the legal sector or outside of it).

Reactions: Jones and AvniD

Jones

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 4, 2021
If you are determined to do the masters, then I would go for that and then try to apply to firms during your masters course and secure sponsorship for the SQE via a firm.

However, you don't necessarily need to do a masters - it won't automatically strengthen your application form, and there are alternative things you could choose to do instead (such as work either in the legal sector or outside of it).
Thank you for this - I am going to cancel LPC at ULaw - and apply for a paralegal before starting my academic masters in sep 23; whilst simultaneously applying for TC’s.

Appreciate and value your advice :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.