Allen & Overy app - 2018/19

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Abstruser, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Abstruser

Abstruser Legendary Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Hey guys! I’ve been working on an A&O app which is taking me a little longer than expected, and a question I have particular doubts about is this:

“Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have.”

Has anyone answered this question, and have any tips on how to go about it? My main areas of concern are:

- Does it have to be strictly confined to the legal sector? If so LawTech might an (overly) obvious topic?
    - In terms of impact, should I be linking it back to the firm and how it might be well placed to address those impacts?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

2. Demna87

Demna87 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey! I am still working on my A&O app too. My answer was linked to LawTech, from advice I have read in other threads it sounds like it is better to write about something that is an 'obvious topic' than to not write well about something that is obscure or unique. So if you have an interest in LawTech too I definitely think you should right about it, especially for A&O!

I didn't link my answer to A&O specifically, but I did talk about the effects on law firms generally and what they will have to do to adapt to my legal change. I think this should be the right approach because the first question is for demonstrating your knowledge of A&O specifically. I used about half of my answer to describe my legal change, then the other half to evaluate the effects on law firms.

Hope this is helpful

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Salma

Salma Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    I will post my answer in a bit @Abstruser! Of how I approached the question, hopefully this wil be of assistance.

4. Salma

Salma Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    I forgot my USB at home so I will post later tonight but before I started with my answer I watched videos and read articles of A&O’s strategy and after reading/watching it became clear that they are trying to grow their strength in Asia. I know green bonds are doing very well in Asia, the firm has also advised on a number of green bond issuances in India and China so I aligned both their Asia strategy and green bonds boom within my answer. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions or would like clarification @Abstruser.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    If you're interested in LawTech then that's fine. Students do often write about the issue but as @Demna87 said it's better to write about an obvious issue well v a niche issue less well. You can link it to A&O but you don't have to (the question would have said so to if they required you to do so).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Abstruser

Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks for your input guys! I will have another think about my topic, perhaps read through more of A&O’s strategy as @Salma suggested :)

#6 Abstruser, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Martika

Martika Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    As the question asks "provide a change in the legal sector", would you recommend mentioning other firms, possibly competitors that have been impacted and adapted to this change? Or perhaps, I should stick to the ways that A&O specifically has adapted to the change?

8. PMF_II

PMF_II Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    I prioritised talking about A&O in my answer to this question. If you can find a way to discuss about other firms' strategies without using too much of the word count I think it should be fine. If I used this approach, I would tie it back to A&O by pointing out what A&O has done that is different from its competitors and why A&O's strategy makes more business sense.

9. Martika

Martika Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks for the insight @PMF_II :)

10. Eva

Eva Star Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi guys, I just submitted my A&O application. Wonder if you have any tips to share for the online immersive assessment, i.e. the situational judgment test?

#10 Eva, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  11. Abstruser

Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Hey there! The SJT isn't very difficult, it isn't timed and I found the interactive video method great. The test is based on day-to-day tasks and challenges faced by trainees at A&O, and you just have to provide answers based on what you would do if you were in their position.

You just have to have a clear idea of the competencies A&O are looking for (check their website). A&O have a little quiz on their graduate recruitment website that tests their key competencies, so you may find it useful to complete it prior to your SJT to get a feel for what they want in their trainees - https://www.aograduate.com/our-people/made-more

Your result (whether you pass/fail) is emailed immediately after the test. All the best!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eva

Eva Star Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks! Will make sure to keep their key competencies in my head whilst completing the test!

13. LawDudeForce

LawDudeForce Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi,

I just submitted my application for the A&O Middle East Vacation Scheme. However, this is the first time I'm hearing of the online immersive assessment. I have not been emailed about this. Should I be worried?

Thanks.

14. Abstruser

Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    From a quick look at the relevant website (http://www.allenovery.com/careers/M.../Pages/Application-process-and-deadlines.aspx), it seems that the ME program has a different assessment process than the UK programs. In particular, it seems like you have a telephone screening process instead of an online test.

Hope that helps. If you're still unsure, you can probably email grad rec.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. LawDudeForce

LawDudeForce Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Yeah, I double checked myself as well. It's just worrying when you see a test you haven't done haha.

16. Christy

Christy Distinguished Member
    TCLA Writer

TCLA Credits:
    Hi! I am trying to get a head-start on Allen & Overy's application window opening this August, and wanted to ask what the word limit was on the commercial awareness question at the start of this thread @Abstruser? I imagine it could significantly alter your answer! Thank you!!

17. Christy

TCLA Writer

TCLA Credits:
    And I suppose I just wanted to ask if A&O change their application form each year (if anyone happens to know) - as that could put a spanner in the works!

18. Abstruser

Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Hi, if I recall correctly it was 250 words. :)

19. Abstruser

Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    I'm not sure if they change their questions every year, but they did make some minor changes to the application questions between 2017/18 and 2018/19, which were the two cycles that I applied in.

I've reproduced the questions below:

2017/18:
    1. In your opinion, what one thing sets Allen & Overy apart from its competitors and why? (250 words)
    2. Which one skill do you think is the most important for a trainee to demonstrate and why? How have you demonstrated this skill? (250 words)
    3. How do you think the legal sector will evolve over the next 10 years, and how will this impact client expectations? (250 words)
    4. Describe a recent goal you worked towards and specify in detail how you approached the achievement of that goal, including any lessons learned. (250 words)
    5. Please bullet point anything else you’d like to add which you think is relevant to your application. This can be positions of responsibility, extra-curricular activities and achievements or academic awards or scholarships. (100 words)

2018/19:
    1. In your opinion, what one thing sets Allen & Overy apart from its competitors and why? (250 words)
    2. Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have. (250 words)
    3. Describe a recent goal you worked towards and specify in detail how you approached the achievement of that goal, including any lessons learned. (250 words)

4. Please bullet point anything else you’d like to add which you think is relevant to your application. This can be positions of responsibility, extra-curricular activities and achievements or academic awards or scholarships. (100 words)

Hope this helps. All the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Christy

TCLA Writer

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you @Abstruser, that is more than I could have hoped for. I guess I better get started!

• Like Like x 1