Allen & Overy app - 2018/19

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hey guys! I’ve been working on an A&O app which is taking me a little longer than expected, and a question I have particular doubts about is this:

“Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have.”

Has anyone answered this question, and have any tips on how to go about it? My main areas of concern are:

- Does it have to be strictly confined to the legal sector? If so LawTech might an (overly) obvious topic?
- In terms of impact, should I be linking it back to the firm and how it might be well placed to address those impacts?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Hey! I am still working on my A&O app too. My answer was linked to LawTech, from advice I have read in other threads it sounds like it is better to write about something that is an 'obvious topic' than to not write well about something that is obscure or unique. So if you have an interest in LawTech too I definitely think you should right about it, especially for A&O!

I didn't link my answer to A&O specifically, but I did talk about the effects on law firms generally and what they will have to do to adapt to my legal change. I think this should be the right approach because the first question is for demonstrating your knowledge of A&O specifically. I used about half of my answer to describe my legal change, then the other half to evaluate the effects on law firms.

Hope this is helpful

Reactions: Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I forgot my USB at home so I will post later tonight but before I started with my answer I watched videos and read articles of A&O’s strategy and after reading/watching it became clear that they are trying to grow their strength in Asia. I know green bonds are doing very well in Asia, the firm has also advised on a number of green bond issuances in India and China so I aligned both their Asia strategy and green bonds boom within my answer. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions or would like clarification @Abstruser.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    If you're interested in LawTech then that's fine. Students do often write about the issue but as @Demna87 said it's better to write about an obvious issue well v a niche issue less well. You can link it to A&O but you don't have to (the question would have said so to if they required you to do so).

Reactions: Abstruser

Martika

Dec 6, 2018
    As the question asks "provide a change in the legal sector", would you recommend mentioning other firms, possibly competitors that have been impacted and adapted to this change? Or perhaps, I should stick to the ways that A&O specifically has adapted to the change?

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    As the question asks "provide a change in the legal sector", would you recommend mentioning other firms, possibly competitors that have been impacted and adapted to this change? Or perhaps, I should stick to the ways that A&O specifically has adapted to the change?
    I prioritised talking about A&O in my answer to this question. If you can find a way to discuss about other firms' strategies without using too much of the word count I think it should be fine. If I used this approach, I would tie it back to A&O by pointing out what A&O has done that is different from its competitors and why A&O's strategy makes more business sense.

Eva

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 24, 2018
    Hi guys, I just submitted my A&O application. Wonder if you have any tips to share for the online immersive assessment, i.e. the situational judgment test?

Last edited:

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi guys, I just submitted my A&O application. Wonder if you have any tips to share for the online immersive assessment, i.e. the situational judgment test?

Hey there! The SJT isn't very difficult, it isn't timed and I found the interactive video method great. The test is based on day-to-day tasks and challenges faced by trainees at A&O, and you just have to provide answers based on what you would do if you were in their position.

You just have to have a clear idea of the competencies A&O are looking for (check their website). A&O have a little quiz on their graduate recruitment website that tests their key competencies, so you may find it useful to complete it prior to your SJT to get a feel for what they want in their trainees - https://www.aograduate.com/our-people/made-more

Your result (whether you pass/fail) is emailed immediately after the test. All the best!

Reactions: Miki3999 and Salma

Eva

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 24, 2018
    Hey there! The SJT isn't very difficult, it isn't timed and I found the interactive video method great. The test is based on day-to-day tasks and challenges faced by trainees at A&O, and you just have to provide answers based on what you would do if you were in their position.

You just have to have a clear idea of the competencies A&O are looking for (check their website). A&O have a little quiz on their graduate recruitment website that tests their key competencies, so you may find it useful to complete it prior to your SJT to get a feel for what they want in their trainees - https://www.aograduate.com/our-people/made-more

Your result (whether you pass/fail) is emailed immediately after the test. All the best!

Thanks! Will make sure to keep their key competencies in my head whilst completing the test!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Hi,

I just submitted my application for the A&O Middle East Vacation Scheme. However, this is the first time I'm hearing of the online immersive assessment. I have not been emailed about this. Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi,

I just submitted my application for the A&O Middle East Vacation Scheme. However, this is the first time I'm hearing of the online immersive assessment. I have not been emailed about this. Should I be worried?

Thanks.

From a quick look at the relevant website (http://www.allenovery.com/careers/M.../Pages/Application-process-and-deadlines.aspx), it seems that the ME program has a different assessment process than the UK programs. In particular, it seems like you have a telephone screening process instead of an online test.

Hope that helps. If you're still unsure, you can probably email grad rec.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and FutureCity
    D

Deleted member 348

Hi! I am trying to get a head-start on Allen & Overy's application window opening this August, and wanted to ask what the word limit was on the commercial awareness question at the start of this thread @Abstruser? I imagine it could significantly alter your answer! Thank you!!

D

Deleted member 348

And I suppose I just wanted to ask if A&O change their application form each year (if anyone happens to know) - as that could put a spanner in the works!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    And I suppose I just wanted to ask if A&O change their application form each year (if anyone happens to know) - as that could put a spanner in the works!

I'm not sure if they change their questions every year, but they did make some minor changes to the application questions between 2017/18 and 2018/19, which were the two cycles that I applied in.

I've reproduced the questions below:

2017/18:
    1. In your opinion, what one thing sets Allen & Overy apart from its competitors and why? (250 words)
    2. Which one skill do you think is the most important for a trainee to demonstrate and why? How have you demonstrated this skill? (250 words)
    3. How do you think the legal sector will evolve over the next 10 years, and how will this impact client expectations? (250 words)
    4. Describe a recent goal you worked towards and specify in detail how you approached the achievement of that goal, including any lessons learned. (250 words)
    5. Please bullet point anything else you’d like to add which you think is relevant to your application. This can be positions of responsibility, extra-curricular activities and achievements or academic awards or scholarships. (100 words)

2018/19:
    1. In your opinion, what one thing sets Allen & Overy apart from its competitors and why? (250 words)
    2. Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have. (250 words)
    3. Describe a recent goal you worked towards and specify in detail how you approached the achievement of that goal, including any lessons learned. (250 words)

4. Please bullet point anything else you’d like to add which you think is relevant to your application. This can be positions of responsibility, extra-curricular activities and achievements or academic awards or scholarships. (100 words)

Hope this helps. All the best.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Syafiqkay92 and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.