Allen & Overy app - 2018/19

Ben Littlewood

Standard Member
Jan 30, 2019
Hi guys, hope you're having a great summer. I was just wondering, is there any particular advantage in applying for A & O's winter scheme as opposed to the summer one? I am going into final year now so I am eligible for both but does the competition tend to be similar?? Would appreciate any advice you might have.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
Yeah they do. My friend has applied for three years in a row and each application question has more or less changed. Some questions changing into completely new questions, whilst others being tweaked a bit only.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
No worries - it's a bit of a tricky one now as there's no obvious place to link to A&O in the application form.

Hmm, I will start drafting maybe in the next couple days and see how I get on but the issue is trying to write without any events to attend. Will try my best to do my research and might contact HR about what they think if I was to postpone my application til October when I can meet the firm- I’m concerned that they do screen on a rolling basis

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    No worries - it's a bit of a tricky one now as there's no obvious place to link to A&O in the application form.

I linked to A&O in the changes to the legal sector question. Perhaps it's worthwhile to do so when there is no other obvious opportunity to talk about A&O!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The main thing I’d flag up - if you’re going to tailor to A&O in that way (or in other app forms where the question doesn’t ask for it), try to make the link natural and properly tailored to the firm.

It doesn’t like great if you have a commercial issue and say something like: ‘and this applies to firms like A&O’. I’ve seen that a lot in recent A&O apps.

If you can’t find a way of making a natural fit, I think you’re better off taking it out completely.

Reactions: Lumree

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Would you recommend practising for the SJT or is it better to just go in with your raw judgement?

It has been a while since I've done an SJT so others may be better able to help.

I'd say do a little practice just so you can get used to the format/timing, although I'm not sure how good the practice tests are on this (I think I recall Shearman & Sterling recently sharing one on their LinkedIn page).

I'd also say approach it by answering honestly (rather than what you think will impress), but also keeping in mind the roles and responsibilities of a trainee.

Reactions: Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You can’t practice SJTs - they are bespoke to each organisation. A pass on one could easily be a fail on the next where they are looking for different outcomes.

They aren’t timed either so there’s little point. Best thing to do to prepare is read the firm’s values and try to align your answers to them where you can, but at the same time be practical in your responses. Where people often go wrong is assuming the “ill work harder/longer” is the right answer to choose, when the reality is “what’s the most efficient way of dealing with this” is actually the approach to take.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    You can’t practice SJTs - they are bespoke to each organisation. A pass on one could easily be a fail on the next where they are looking for different outcomes.

They aren’t timed either so there’s little point. Best thing to do to prepare is read the firm’s values and try to align your answers to them where you can, but at the same time be practical in your responses. Where people often go wrong is assuming the “ill work harder/longer” is the right answer to choose, when the reality is “what’s the most efficient way of dealing with this” is actually the approach to take.

Thanks Jessica, that's really useful advice.

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 26, 2018
    Hi guys,

for this question would the question of expanding into Africa be ok, I don't want to speak about tech

I think it's ok as long as you can explain it succinctly and how that is relevant to A&O. I can see that A&O is the first elite global law firm to establish a practice in South Africa so that could be a good example of how A&O is setting the trend. I think if you can explain how Africa expansion is becoming a trend in the legal sector, then you will have a strong answer. Given the increasing prospect of economic recession, this might make business sense because African economy is less correlated to the Western economy and therefore investment institutions might want to explore how investing in Africa can help them diversify against the risk of recession. A&O being one of the early adopters is setting the trend which could establish the firm well in Africa. I think Slaughter and May also have a strong and growing practice in Africa. Competition means that this is a viable business strategy.

I'm trying not to write about technology as it's quite a cliche but I remember reading a post on TCLA forum which says that cliche is cliche for a reason. It's fine for law application as long as you can find an angle. I want to write about technology because it's something that I am quite interested in. Technology is a trend that is happening in the legal sector and it's one of the trends that are over-hype especially with AI. However, I think real disruption will happen with the effective use of existing technology (a strategy that is in line with A&O Fuse) rather than imagining a future with AI. I'm not so sure about this.

What do you think? Let's discuss this further, you might find your angle. Curious to know what everyone thinks.

Best wishes,
    Syafiq.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Technology as a whole is a broad cliche (it’s like saying Brexit or Recession)....

But if you pick specific technologies rather than the broad term, it won’t be cliched at all. Unless you know nothing about that technology or have no real interest in it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

for this question would the question of expanding into Africa be ok, I don't want to speak about tech

Do you have a genuine interest in expanding into Africa?

Can you be more precise? Africa is a massive continent with a very diverse set of potential clients/sector work.

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 26, 2018
    Technology as a whole is a broad cliche (it’s like saying Brexit or Recession)....

But if you pick specific technologies rather than the broad term, it won’t be cliched at all. Unless you know nothing about that technology or have no real interest in it
    That’s a good point. I suppose if I talk about a specific problem that the technology is trying to solve and link that to the impact that technology could have on the legal sector generally and A&O specifically, I could answer the question without being cliche.

Thanks Jessica. I think I found an interesting angle.

Best wishes,
    Syafiq.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.