Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

What do you think about relating the goal question to yoga? In the beginning of the year, I set the goal for myself of attending regular classes (at least twice a week) every morning before going into work. The ultimate goal was to improve my overall health, become stronger, etc.

Thanks!!

Honestly, I’d avoid it. It’s a very individual pursuit with not a lot of “challenge” to it, just dedication to a personal interest.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Here's my answer to the recent goal and a change in the legal sector questions. Also, the grad rec I spoke to said to link the change to the firm as well.

Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have. (250 words)
September 2016 saw the introduction of the new initial margin requirements for non-centrally cleared over-the-counter (OTC) derivatives. The global framework published by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCSB) and the International Organisation of Securities Commissions (IOSCO), has now been adopted in many jurisdictions. However, the differences in the implementation of margin requirements have created unnecessary complexity and costs to participants in the derivatives market. To achieve regulatory compliance, Allen & Overy’s clients will have to undertake a significant repapering exercise. Failure to do so would result in prohibitions from trading with certain counterparties, as well as sanctions and reputational damage.

The collaboration between Allen & Overy’s Tier 1 ranked Structured Finance and Derivatives practice and Deloitte comes as no surprise. It demonstrates the firm’s willingness to implement cutting-edge technology and improve the delivery of legal services. By automating the drafting process, MarginMatrix can create significant cost savings for the firm’s clients, alongside freeing up their lawyer’s time to focus on adding value elsewhere for clients. The industry impact more generally will be greater regulatory compliance across market participants and jurisdictions.

My interest in legal technology originated at college, where I co-developed an award-winning cloud-based CRM software for use in the legal clinic. I thoroughly enjoyed improving the efficiency and delivery of legal services, and to that end, I have begun learning how to code in Python. From this, I endeavour to further my understanding of machine learning and wish to continue developing innovative solutions at a firm like Allen & Overy.

Describe a recent goal you worked towards and specify in detail how you approached the achievement of that goal, including any lessons learned. (250 words)
In March 2019, I brought a claim for misrepresentation in the County Court against an agent.

In August 2018, the defendant showed me a rented apartment. Assured it was acceptable to sublet on Airbnb; I paid a holding deposit. The landlord subsequently refused to remove the clause prohibiting subletting from the lease and so I set about recovering my money. Before commencing legal proceedings and endeavouring to comply with the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR), I attempted alternative dispute resolution (ADR). Negotiations proved unsuccessful. Choosing not to settle for the landlord’s inadequate offer, I filed a Money Claim Online. The claim was transferred to the small claims track in the County Court after the defendant refused mediation.

Compiling a 97-page trial bundle was time-consuming; however, it was enjoyable and rewarding. Putting my university mooting experience to practical use and furthering my CPR knowledge was a welcome opportunity. Balancing litigation with my extracurricular activities, legal studies, and a part-time job, demonstrated the importance of effective time management, task prioritisation and delegation.

At the hearing, the judge questioned whether the claim should be brought against the agent or the landlord. Improvising, I argued the landlord would have a defence; therefore, the claim would fail. Satisfied that I proved my case and that it was against the correct defendant, judgment was handed down in my favour.

I learned the importance of being thorough in litigation preparation, alongside the need to be adaptable and to be able to respond to unexpected legal and business challenges.

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: NaSa16, gricole and Alice G

Ar2016

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 2, 2019
Hi Jessica- regarding the personal goal question.I was thinking about writing about FINALLY learning how to swim this past year after trying and failing to learn multiple times due to severe fear of doing so. I am obviously not championship-level good at it but definitely happy with learning basic strokes and overcoming the fear itself (which was often debilitating to the extent I avoided beaches and pools). Has been a challenge for me throughout my childhood so definitely an achievement for me! Do you think its a good answer to the question or should change it to something more academic/professional (second options are volunteering at my mothers school summer camp etc)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Jessica- regarding the personal goal question.I was thinking about writing about FINALLY learning how to swim this past year after trying and failing to learn multiple times due to severe fear of doing so. I am obviously not championship-level good at it but definitely happy with learning basic strokes and overcoming the fear itself (which was often debilitating to the extent I avoided beaches and pools). Has been a challenge for me throughout my childhood so definitely an achievement for me! Do you think its a good answer to the question or should change it to something more academic/professional (second options are volunteering at my mothers school summer camp etc)

I saw this and just wanted to say how genuine this sounds as an achievement. It’s not about how objectively impressive the achievement is but how important it is to you, it’s a deeply personal one which I think will be interesting to read as well. I think this is such a brilliant response for that question and well done for overcoming your fears!

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
I saw this and just wanted to say how genuine this sounds as an achievement. It’s not about how objectively impressive the achievement is but how important it is to you, it’s a deeply personal one which I think will be interesting to read as well. I think this is such a brilliant response for that question and well done for overcoming your fears!

That is so great as I have similar experiences but think they're too basic even though to me they are pretty huge learning a 'basic' thing when you're an adult. So nice to hear maybe they're not!

Reactions: Alice G

Ar2016

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 2, 2019
Thank you fo sayin that! I am really happy about this achievement but just hope its a good enough goal to write about in this question

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you fo sayin that! I am really happy about this achievement but just hope its a good enough goal to write about in this question

If you know in your gut this is genuinely your greatest achievement then it is absolutely the best thing to write for this. Achievements are subjective and it’s refreshing to read one like this that seems very genuine and heartfelt :) I think it’s perfect :)

Reactions: Ar2016

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
That is so great as I have similar experiences but think they're too basic even though to me they are pretty huge learning a 'basic' thing when you're an adult. So nice to hear maybe they're not!
Absolutely! I think we can all overlook things because we are so concerned they’re not impressive enough. We are all different and that’s what makes questions like this so interesting :) absolutely go for the things you know deep down are true to yourself. Then you don’t have the niggling thought of ‘what if’ if the app isn’t successful for whatever reason- you know you did the best and most authentic app possible which reflected you as an individual :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Was learning to swim more challenging that volunteering in your mothers' summer school? If so, use it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Absolutely! I think we can all overlook things because we are so concerned they’re not impressive enough. We are all different and that’s what makes questions like this so interesting :) absolutely go for the things you know deep down are true to yourself. Then you don’t have the niggling thought of ‘what if’ if the app isn’t successful for whatever reason- you know you did the best and most authentic app possible which reflected you as an individual :)

It is also the danger of people trying to compare themselves to others and therefore dismissing their own achievements as being not as good/not as relevant as other people they know.

I use this example time and time again - it actually dates back from 2007-8!!

I interviewed two candidates on the same day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. Both asked the same question about what's a major challenge they faced. The morning person talks about running the London marathon. The person in the afternoon talked about running a 5k charity run.

EVERYONE assumes the marathon runner had the best answer.

They didn't - because the individual was already a long distance runner, they loved running, they were built to run, they didn't really have to do much more than up their running amount, which they didn't really mind doing.

In comparison the person in the afternoon said they hated running. They were unfit, they had to change their diet, they had to go to a gym (which they had never been in one). The reason why they were running a 5k was because they knew everyone would give them more money as the thought of them running was almost funny. But they did it....

I am sure the marathon runner had better challenges in their life they could have mentioned, they just went with the "outcome" that they thought was more impressive, rather than thinking about which journey to that outcome would have been more impressive.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
It is also the danger of people trying to compare themselves to others and therefore dismissing their own achievements as being not as good/not as relevant as other people they know.

I use this example time and time again - it actually dates back from 2007-8!!

I interviewed two candidates on the same day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. Both asked the same question about what's a major challenge they faced. The morning person talks about running the London marathon. The person in the afternoon talked about running a 5k charity run.

EVERYONE assumes the marathon runner had the best answer.

They didn't - because the individual was already a long distance runner, they loved running, they were built to run, they didn't really have to do much more than up their running amount, which they didn't really mind doing.

In comparison the person in the afternoon said they hated running. They were unfit, they had to change their diet, they had to go to a gym (which they had never been in one). The reason why they were running a 5k was because they knew everyone would give them more money as the thought of them running was almost funny. But they did it....

I am sure the marathon runner had better challenges in their life they could have mentioned, they just went with the "outcome" that they thought was more impressive, rather than thinking about which journey to that outcome would have been more impressive.

such a good example of this in practice!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Is dealing with a complaint a personal goal of yours?

For me and this type of question, I’d try to show something that:

- required persistence over a period of time
- challenge
- is unique (ie don’t use I got a 1st in my degree)
- is outside of your comfort zone
- wasn’t necessary an obligation, something you chose to do

Summer camp example will be fine if it shows adaptability, a positive outcome, your clear roles and responsibilities, and innovation.

Hi Jessica,

I found this really helpful. Would you perhaps be able to do the same for the adaptability question?

I am posting it here for ease: 'As the world of law evolves, adaptability is a crucial attribute for future lawyers to have. Describe a time you had to demonstrate adaptability to reach a positive outcome. What role did you play in the scenario and what was the outcome? Did you do anything you would consider innovative as part of the solution. (250)'

It would really help to maybe break this down as the wording suggests they want it to be quite goal orientated again sinc ethey state 'positive outcome' and it also insinuates it should be a team scenario by asking for your role. I think they have made this quite limiting to an extent but would appreciate your thoughts and insight :)

Reactions: Samar

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I found this really helpful. Would you perhaps be able to do the same for the adaptability question?

I am posting it here for ease: 'As the world of law evolves, adaptability is a crucial attribute for future lawyers to have. Describe a time you had to demonstrate adaptability to reach a positive outcome. What role did you play in the scenario and what was the outcome? Did you do anything you would consider innovative as part of the solution. (250)'

It would really help to maybe break this down as the wording suggests they want it to be quite goal orientated again sinc ethey state 'positive outcome' and it also insinuates it should be a team scenario by asking for your role. I think they have made this quite limiting to an extent but would appreciate your thoughts and insight :)

Adaptability: what they are really looking for

- You being open to new experiences

- Going outside of your comfort zone

- Learning/developing something that doesn’t come easy

- Changing your approach to get the best outcome for the collective purpose (not just yourself)

- Self-awareness - realising you’re capabilities and working out when to adapt to them, particularly to things that aren’t strengths

- Creative thinking - not just going with the straight forward answer for ease, but maybe coming up with a different solution that is either more effective or more impactful

Your answer doesn’t have to cover all of the above, but just some themes to think about

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Adaptability: what they are really looking for

- You being open to new experiences

- Going outside of your comfort zone

- Learning/developing something that doesn’t come easy

- Changing your approach to get the best outcome for the collective purpose (not just yourself)

- Self-awareness - realising you’re capabilities and working out when to adapt to them, particularly to things that aren’t strengths

- Creative thinking - not just going with the straight forward answer for ease, but maybe coming up with a different solution that is either more effective or more impactful

Your answer doesn’t have to cover all of the above, but just some themes to think about

Thank you Jessica, this is great. Think I have my example now!

Megannn

Standard Member
Apr 10, 2018
Hi Jessica,

For the question: “Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have.”

Do you think the increasing importance and awareness of data ethics is a suitable topic? (This is an area that really interests me) Or should the answer be more specifically legal/A&O focused?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

For the question: “Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have.”

Do you think the increasing importance and awareness of data ethics is a suitable topic? (This is an area that really interests me) Or should the answer be more specifically legal/A&O focused?

Thanks!

As long as you speak about the legal ramifications of this, it is fine to use it.

Phoebe-Lou

Feb 8, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I know I'm a tad late to the game here but I was hoping you could help me out with this. For the quesiton about change in the legal sector is the impact of climate change on law ok to use? Its something I am very interested in, but I understand its more of an external change that is going to cause a change in the legal sector rather than a legal change which is causing ramifications in other sectors.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I know I'm a tad late to the game here but I was hoping you could help me out with this. For the quesiton about change in the legal sector is the impact of climate change on law ok to use? Its something I am very interested in, but I understand its more of an external change that is going to cause a change in the legal sector rather than a legal change which is causing ramifications in other sectors.

As long as you can explicitly link it back to law and not just talk about climate change more broadly, yes perfectly fine to use

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.