Allen & Overy app - 2018/19

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
Alice - I'd try to keep calm about this. A&O will be conducting a lot of interviews given how large their intakes are. Just because one person has heard back before you means very little, even if you applied before them.

It could literally come down to person A in the GR team has been allocated your application to screen while person B has been allocated Aaron's friend's application. Person A isn't returning from the Xmas break until next week while person B was in the office (when it was nice any quiet) and was able to do their screening earlier.

Totally agree with Jessica, I have also applied to A&O and still waiting to hear back as well! I applied on the 19th Dec

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Alice - I'd try to keep calm about this. A&O will be conducting a lot of interviews given how large their intakes are. Just because one person has heard back before you means very little, even if you applied before them.

It could literally come down to person A in the GR team has been allocated your application to screen while person B has been allocated Aaron's friend's application. Person A isn't returning from the Xmas break until next week while person B was in the office (when it was nice any quiet) and was able to do their screening earlier.

That’s a good point, I know it’s quite irrational thinking to assume any correlation between people hearing back etc. I guess I will just hear when I hear :) thank you @Jessica Booker

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019

Out of curiosity, how are applications allocated to each GR member? :)

Moe

Star Member
  • Dec 24, 2019
    Hey!! Well done and happy new year to you! May I ask when you heard and when it was that you submitted? I’m a bit anxious now the holidays are over! Really best of luck and may I also ask for which Intake you applied? :) :)

Hi Alice! Thanks :)

I heard back relatively fast! I applied on the 21st of December (IIRC) and heard back today, the 2nd of January. This is for a Vac Scheme for the summer of 2020.

I’d say not to worry, Alice. They’re clearly upping their game now that the holidays are over and you should hear from them soon ;) Keep that chin up - your efforts will not go for nothing :D

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice! Thanks :)

I heard back relatively fast! I applied on the 21st of December (IIRC) and heard back today, the 2nd of January. This is for a Vac Scheme for the summer of 2020.

I’d say not to worry, Alice. They’re clearly upping their game now that the holidays are over and you should hear from them soon ;) Keep that chin up - your efforts will not go for nothing :D
    Ahh Okie dokie, thank you for letting me know and wishing you the very best! My app is for a direct tc so perhaps they are handling Vac apps given the timeframe for interviews etc! Fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: Moe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Out of curiosity, how are applications allocated to each GR member? :)

There isn’t one way this is done, even with the same team/same vacancy.

The example I used was just one suggested way in which one person may hear back earlier/later than the next.

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    There isn’t one way this is done, even with the same team/same vacancy.

The example I used was just one suggested way in which one person may hear back earlier/later than the next.

Thanks Jessica. Your example got me wondering, with screening applications do each GR member in the team follow the SAME criteria. As it could happen that if GR member A screens an application but didn’t like that application and sent out the rejection email to that candidate, however if GR member B would have read that application and they liked it, they would have given that candidate an AC invite. That sometimes isn’t really fair, seems like it’s just luck if you get the right GR member screening the application.

Would love to know your thought on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica. Your example got me wondering, with screening applications do each GR member in the team follow the SAME criteria. As it could happen that if GR member A screens an application but didn’t like that application and sent out the rejection email to that candidate, however if GR member B would have read that application and they liked it, they would have given that candidate an AC invite. That sometimes isn’t really fair, seems like it’s just luck if you get the right GR member screening the application.

Would love to know your thought on this.

yes - they are making against the same criteria.

What your suggesting is very unlikely to happen. It’s not a case of liking an application (or not) - it’s about whether a standard is met.

Yes, there is some level of subjectivity in there (unfortunately there has to be when you are talking about people reviewing content about people) but generally application reviewing standards are purposely kept consistent and tight for various reasons.

About 90% of applications are pretty easy to make a decision on one way or another. If you are not doing the screening on your own (some smaller teams it is just one person doing it), with the 10% remaining, you often get someone else to check your thoughts. I’ve doubled marked thousands of applications through the years, either by training up new people or to double check people’s thinking, and typically it’s a very consistent process even before that check happens.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just got my rejection from A&O, bit gutted starting to have the fear of never finding a vac scheme
    So so sorry to hear this. Don’t forget that it only takes one in the end and that the resilience you are building throughout this process will serve you well in the long run. I know it doesn’t feel that way right now, believe me when I say I’ve been there, but take some time out today and process it and I promise you things will look a bit brighter soon :)

Moe

Star Member
  • Dec 24, 2019
    Just got my rejection from A&O, bit gutted starting to have the fear of never finding a vac scheme

There is this great article that I read online once, and it really inspired me ever since. A vacation scheme student, who for 4 years after graduating, kept applying for a Training Contract and almost eventually gave up. On his 4th year, he decided that he would quit law if he gets rejected another time. Luckily, after these years of resilience and determination, he was offered a TC at Hogan Lovells (a great firm, may I add). He had a personal conversation with the partner there, reflecting on his years of applying. When they were sitting together, he told the partner that he had received a ton of rejections previously, and thought at one point that a TC would be impossible for him. The partner smiled, and got a bit shy - he said something that really does formulate the moral of this story - "I received more rejections than you" he said, "but that is why I'm here on this side of the table".

The term in itself, "Rejected", is so harsh and unnecessary. In my view, it is a step closer to success. You're benefitted in so many aways - imagine working at a firm that may not be meant for you? These "rejections" make you familiar with the firms, educates you on your choices, makes you wiser, and tells you on how you can improve (most often, you can request feedback from the firms!) I know things may be tough, and I got rejected from HSF too (stupid WG test), so I've been there, but know that so long as these City firms still give training contracts and vacation schemes, then there will always be a chance for you. It is the determination that is needed to continue in the face of the "rejections", or experiences as I like to call them :) Keep me posted on how the rest of your apps go, and best of luck!

• 🏆
    Reactions: ab01, T202, PB and 11 others

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    There is this great article that I read online once, and it really inspired me ever since. A vacation scheme student, who for 4 years after graduating, kept applying for a Training Contract and almost eventually gave up. On his 4th year, he decided that he would quit law if he gets rejected another time. Luckily, after these years of resilience and determination, he was offered a TC at Hogan Lovells (a great firm, may I add). He had a personal conversation with the partner there, reflecting on his years of applying. When they were sitting together, he told the partner that he had received a ton of rejections previously, and thought at one point that a TC would be impossible for him. The partner smiled, and got a bit shy - he said something that really does formulate the moral of this story - "I received more rejections than you" he said, "but that is why I'm here on this side of the table".

The term in itself, "Rejected", is so harsh and unnecessary. In my view, it is a step closer to success. You're benefitted in so many aways - imagine working at a firm that may not be meant for you? These "rejections" make you familiar with the firms, educates you on your choices, makes you wiser, and tells you on how you can improve (most often, you can request feedback from the firms!) I know things may be tough, and I got rejected from HSF too (stupid WG test), so I've been there, but know that so long as these City firms still give training contracts and vacation schemes, then there will always be a chance for you. It is the determination that is needed to continue in the face of the "rejections", or experiences as I like to call them :) Keep me posted on how the rest of your apps go, and best of luck!
    Couldn’t have said this better and you’re so right. An HL partner actually once said to me the best trainees they have are those who have had rejection after rejection, because they appreciate the hard work to have secured the opportunity and they are better at receiving and implementing feedback! It’s all for good reason :)

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Couldn’t have said this better and you’re so right. An HL partner actually once said to me the best trainees they have are those who have had rejection after rejection, because they appreciate the hard work to have secured the opportunity and they are better at receiving and implementing feedback! It’s all for good reason :)

This is what I love about TCLA. The sense of camaraderie and the willingness of others to help and provide support when any one of us is feeling so down and dejected. It takes a lot to remain buoyant but without these wonderful posts from truly wonderful people, where would we all be? Thank you to all of you who take the time to listen and give words of wisdom when we need them most.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    This is what I love about TCLA. The sense of camaraderie and the willingness of others to help and provide support when any one of us is feeling so down and dejected. It takes a lot to remain buoyant but without these wonderful posts from truly wonderful people, where would we all be? Thank you to all of you who take the time to listen and give words of wisdom when we need them most.
    Amen to that!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.