Allen & Overy app - 2018/19

Moe

Star Member
  • Dec 24, 2019
    Hi all!

Firstly, happy new year! May this year be one of nourishment and happiness! Secondly, I have been invited to an Assessment Centre for Allen & Overy (A&O) only recently! I have a few questions - Generally, how difficult is the first business-orientated interview? I hear that it is usually an international cross-border M&A, and that I should review how to interpolate shareholder agreements, and basic business terms such as indemnities, representations and warranties...If anyone who went through this process can drop a word or two of advice for us, then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Secondly, the three days available for the Assessment Centre were so badly timed for me as I have coursework submissions/exams on every single day! I contacted Grad Recruitment, but I'm a bit worried - is this normal for some candidates? What is their flexibility?

Thanks xx

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alice G, Jaysen and JoNo

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi all!

Firstly, happy new year! May this year be one of nourishment and happiness! Secondly, I have been invited to an Assessment Centre for Allen & Overy (A&O) only recently! I have a few questions - Generally, how difficult is the first business-orientated interview? I hear that it is usually an international cross-border M&A, and that I should review how to interpolate shareholder agreements, and basic business terms such as indemnities, representations and warranties...If anyone who went through this process can drop a word or two of advice for us, then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Secondly, the three days available for the Assessment Centre were so badly timed for me as I have coursework submissions/exams on every single day! I contacted Grad Recruitment, but I'm a bit worried - is this normal for some candidates? What is their flexibility?

Thanks xx
    Hey!! Well done and happy new year to you! May I ask when you heard and when it was that you submitted? I’m a bit anxious now the holidays are over! Really best of luck and may I also ask for which Intake you applied? :) :)

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Hey!! Well done and happy new year to you! May I ask when you heard and when it was that you submitted? I’m a bit anxious now the holidays are over! Really best of luck and may I also ask for which Intake you applied? :) :)

My friend heard back from A&O on the 31st Dec, you should probably hear back from Monday 6th Jan onwards

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all!

Thanks xx

This is quite a common issue given it is exam season for a lot of students. You can ask the Grad Rec team whether there are any alternative dates, but it may be the case that the 3 dates you have been given are as flexible as they can be. What you might want to do is book in for the most convenient date now (e.g. the day you have a submission rather than an exam) and just make sure you submit the assessment slightly earlier than the deadline. This means you will at least get your most preferential date if the worse come to the worst. If you wait, you may find that the other dates fill up and you only get the opportunity on a day you have an exam (and therefore have to decline the offer to attend).

You can then contact the Grad Rec team and say you have booked in, but if there is any opportunities to swap dates you would appreciate the flexibility given you have an assessment on that day.

Reactions: Moe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you @AaronSL- I don’t suppose you know roughly when they submitted? I’ve been quite relaxed up until today!

Alice - I'd try to keep calm about this. A&O will be conducting a lot of interviews given how large their intakes are. Just because one person has heard back before you means very little, even if you applied before them.

It could literally come down to person A in the GR team has been allocated your application to screen while person B has been allocated Aaron's friend's application. Person A isn't returning from the Xmas break until next week while person B was in the office (when it was nice any quiet) and was able to do their screening earlier.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.