Allen & Overy app - 2018/19

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone know how long does it take to be informed whether one has proceeded to the review stage, after taking the SJT? Thank you!

I just did the SJT and received an email shortly after saying that I passed and my app will be reviewed.

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Thanks for your reply. May I ask if a 'thank you' was displayed at the end of the test/if you know whether only those passing the test will receive an email?

Yes, I think I had a thank you at the end too.

I am sure everyone is supposed to find out whether they passed or did not pass. Maybe check your junk mail folder? Failing that, I would probably email :D

KatieCCM

Star Member
    Mar 12, 2019
    Does anyone know / in their own personal experience whether A&O actually does review your application and do interviews/give out an offer within 21 days of submitting an app? I know they say this once you submit on the website but doubtful whether it’ll happen this quickly! I’ve applied for a direct TC.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Does anyone know / in their own personal experience whether A&O actually does review your application and do interviews/give out an offer within 21 days of submitting an app? I know they say this once you submit on the website but doubtful whether it’ll happen this quickly! I’ve applied for a direct TC.

Yes.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018

Yep! I applied last cycle for a direct TC too (around this time in fact) and heard back with an interview invite 21 days on the dot, and with the outcome 21 days after that interview :)

Reactions: JayB and Alice G

LuLa

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 28, 2019

Hi, I got the SJT and got an invite to assessment 35 days after passing it.
    Following from my interview I heard back within 6 days, so I guess it can vary?

Reactions: JayB

Ehab

Standard Member
    Nov 9, 2019
    Hi, I'am filling A&O application form out and one application question is: Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have. (250 words).

Can I write about a recent commercial transaction and its impact to the firm or do I need to write specifically about change in the legal sector? hopefully to hear back from you.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi, I'am filling A&O application form out and one application question is: Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have. (250 words).

Can I write about a recent commercial transaction and its impact to the firm or do I need to write specifically about change in the legal sector? hopefully to hear back from you.

just to be cautious I’d say it would need to be a change given the wording of the question :) a transaction might change the market but I don’t think this is what the question demands given the explicit ‘legal Change’ . Perhaps if a new precedent was rolled out because of a transaction or it instigated a change then this might be ok but I think that would be a special case.

Lully

Standard Member
    Oct 3, 2019
    If you're interested in LawTech then that's fine. Students do often write about the issue but as @Demna87 said it's better to write about an obvious issue well v a niche issue less well. You can link it to A&O but you don't have to (the question would have said so to if they required you to do so).

Looking back at the question, do you think that choosing, for example, a topic that focuses mainly on one area of the law, like capital markets and how technology is influencing how lawyers work in that area is too niche? Does the topic you choose have to influence all the legal industry or can it be one such as the example I just mentioned?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Looking back at the question, do you think that choosing, for example, a topic that focuses mainly on one area of the law, like capital markets and how technology is influencing how lawyers work in that area is too niche? Does the topic you choose have to influence all the legal industry or can it be one such as the example I just mentioned?
    I reckon you could be relatively niche with this in all honesty, provided it’s a legal change I don’t see the issue and I think focussing in can make the answer more analytical and a bit more interesting for those reading it :) that’s just my opinion based on what you say :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I reckon you could be relatively niche with this in all honesty, provided it’s a legal change I don’t see the issue and I think focussing in can make the answer more analytical and a bit more interesting for those reading it :) that’s just my opinion based on what you say :)
    Agreed.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018

I wrote about initial margin requirements for over-the-counter traded derivatives. I linked it to A&O as they have a legal tech solution for this and also my interest in technology. I spoke about the impact on clients, the industry and the firm. So yes, you can be very niche!

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.