Allen & Overy SJT

BioSTEM

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 9, 2021
“Application under review” I’m not sure if that’s a good thing
if it says that the last update of your application was on the same day that you submitted your application (like everyone else's that I've seen), then it has not been updated since your SJT so its not correlated to your SJT outcome it was just an automatic progression.

Reactions: OB, Rob93 and tt_xo

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Spent ages on my A&O application making sure every question was perfect - spent ages on the SJT, too, and managed to fail it. I hate this so, so much.

Not asking a question, just wanted to vent. this was the best app i'd ever submitted over three cycles. To get rejected because the 20 min SJT feels like a punch in the gut
I'm in the exact position as you - A&O is the firm that I'm really keen on (would take their offer in a heartbeat even if I managed to secure offers from other MC firms) - spent so much time listening to their podcast, talking to them at events - and the app was the best one I have written (I have taken 2 months to really think about what I wanted to write). Then out of nowhere, I failed the SJT. Gosh, this is so very brutal.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Guys I lost track of time and completed it 20 minutes or so after the 48 hour deadline from receipt of the email, do you think this means a automatic rejection?
Usually the 48-hour deadline is in reality a 2-day deadline and times out at the end of the day 2 days later so I think you'll be fine...but don't take my word for this; I'd recommend doing it a little sooner next time. (Don't worry, I have done the same thing before - we're all human!)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I'm in the exact position as you - A&O is the firm that I'm really keen on (would take their offer in a heartbeat if I managed to secure offers from other MC firms) - spent so much time listening to their podcast, talking to them at events - and the app was the best one I have written (I have taken 2 months to really think about what I wanted to write). Then out of nowhere, I failed the SJT. Gosh, this is so very brutal.
I'm really sorry to hear this @John Doe. Personally, I am not a fan of firms asking candidates to do SJTs with the plan of not even reading their application if they are unsuccessful in the SJT. I think this can discourage a lot of applicants who love the firm in question, as I don't think SJTs are really firm-specific and so the knowledge one builds up about the firm does not end up being helpful in the SJT. Anyway, we've all had an experience like yours and it's very upsetting, but the work you put into your application definitely won't go to waste. I'm sure that you can recycle material from the questions that are not specific to A&O as you spent time getting them really polished and you can draw inspiration from the kinds of points you brought up in your A&O-specific questions. Putting a lot of time into one app is a great learning experience for future apps and whilst you may be disappointed that you won't be progressing with A&O, trust me when I say that you'll end up at a firm you love even more!

• 🏆
Reactions: H.N. and AvniD

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
I'm really sorry to hear this @John Doe. Personally, I am not a fan of firms asking candidates to do SJTs with the plan of not even reading their application if they are unsuccessful in the SJT. I think this can discourage a lot of applicants who love the firm in question, as I don't think SJTs are really firm-specific and so the knowledge one builds up about the firm does not end up being helpful in the SJT. Anyway, we've all had an experience like yours and it's very upsetting, but the work you put into your application definitely won't go to waste. I'm sure that you can recycle material from the questions that are not specific to A&O as you spent time getting them really polished and you can draw inspiration from the kinds of points you brought up in your A&O-specific questions. Putting a lot of time into one app is a great learning experience for future apps and whilst you may be disappointed that you won't be progressing with A&O, trust me when I say that you'll end up at a firm you love even more!
Thank you James! - I really appreciate your message, really did lift my spirit.

• Love
Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thank you James! - I really appreciate your message, really did lift my spirit.
It makes me really happy if my post helped lift your mood and put your hard work into perspective (which I know is difficult to do whilst you're in the middle of the application process). I really want to help wherever possible so please reach out about absolutely anything. And thanks so much for the positive feedback - it means the world to know that I've been able to help you (however little) in your journey :)

• 🤝
Reactions: John Doe

rp26

Nov 11, 2021
Hi there, I have submitted my application but I have not received any emails about the SJT or confirmation of my application but on the website portal it says that my application is under review, should I contact someone to get the test? Some firms send the tests after they have reviewed the application so I am wondering if this is the case too.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi there, I have submitted my application but I have not received any emails about the SJT or confirmation of my application but on the website portal it says that my application is under review, should I contact someone to get the test? Some firms send the tests after they have reviewed the application so I am wondering if this is the case too.
Thanks in advance!
I'd trust the status displayed on the portal and reach out to the firm only if more than 4-6 weeks have passed since submitting the application. I know it can be stressful to wait but firms can take a good amount of time to process applications and send out test invites- hang in there!

Reactions: George Maxwell

nmurphy44

Standard Member
Jan 26, 2023
Hey, does anyone know if you get an email or anything confirming that you've completed the SJT? Did it yesterday but no confirmation/results have been sent to me. Making me paranoid that it's not complete even though I remember seeing the screen saying that the assessment was finished.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.