Anyone got any advice on how to tailor covering letters for paralegal/legal assistant positions?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
I feel like this isnt really discussed much post graduation , but I feel like the covering letters for these types of jobs differs from your typical Vac Scheme/TC aplication structure and would appreciate any insight?

Reactions: Fazz

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I feel like this isnt really discussed much post graduation , but I feel like the covering letters for these types of jobs differs from your typical Vac Scheme/TC aplication structure and would appreciate any insight?

Hey Oliver! Have you heard of F-LEX (paralegal agency) 100% recommend them, I am with them and they really help you with long term and short term positions, whether with law firms or in house positions.

I have linked the website which will explain what they do and how it works much better than I!
https://flex.legal/

But in terms of cover letters, what I do is try and use vacation schemes and other relevant experience to highlight why I am best suited to the position. I hope this helps!

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hey Oliver! Have you heard of F-LEX (paralegal agency) 100% recommend them, I am with them and they really help you with long term and short term positions, whether with law firms or in house positions.

I have linked the website which will explain what they do and how it works much better than I!
https://flex.legal/

But in terms of cover letters, what I do is try and use vacation schemes and other relevant experience to highlight why I am best suited to the position. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Have just signed up.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018

Go for the traditional why law, why you, why them structure. For why law just be careful you don't do a copy and paste of why a solicitor. And really really think about what a Paralegal will be asked to do and what the role is. Why you - what you bring and the skills. Why them - usually a Paralegal role will be to an assigned department/team or for particular partners. Research this, and why the firm/partner does in this area. And come up with why it interests you at that firm. I think this is easier than a general why that firm for a TC/VS app.

I'm not a Paralegal but I know firms will want you to have or come up with a genuine interest in that area as the people you will be working with will have that interest.

Finally, at all costs, don't say you see a Paralegal role as a route into the firm, or a back door to a TC. It may well be, but it won't be by virtue of being a Paralegal, rather by your work and experience at the firm. Each firm will have a different policy on this. It will be evident by your experience and qualifications what you are aiming for.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.