Application Help - Trowers

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm getting myself knotted up over Trowers' last question: "Give us as wide an insight into you as possible without referring to anything you have already mentioned in this application"

Do you think this means without repeating myself (i.e. if already mentioned a particular achievement then don't mention it again) or do you think it means not referring to anything mentioned in the application, even if I do so in a different light? For example, I want to explain more broadly how my experiences show my character but technically I've mentioned my experiences in the work experience section and would, therefore, be referring to something already mentioned.

Given my confusion, I would appreciate your input on what you think this question is trying to get at! I personally think it does want to know about things not mentioned elsewhere, like my interest in football etc. But equally, it wants to know about me, and part of me is things I've mentioned elsewhere in the application!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I'm getting myself knotted up over Trowers' last question: "Give us as wide an insight into you as possible without referring to anything you have already mentioned in this application"

Do you think this means without repeating myself (i.e. if already mentioned a particular achievement then don't mention it again) or do you think it means not referring to anything mentioned in the application, even if I do so in a different light? For example, I want to explain more broadly how my experiences show my character but technically I've mentioned my experiences in the work experience section and would, therefore, be referring to something already mentioned.

Given my confusion, I would appreciate your input on what you think this question is trying to get at! I personally think it does want to know about things not mentioned elsewhere, like my interest in football etc. But equally, it wants to know about me, and part of me is things I've mentioned elsewhere in the application!

Personally I would try to steer away from mentioning experiences you've already discussed anywhere in the application. With the point about showing how your work experiences demonstrate your character, I would question why you can't just include the information within the work experience section itself, rather than needing to repeat this in this question.

That said, if there is a particular experience that you have only briefly referenced, and you have a clear rationale for why you can't include this information elsewhere, I don't think you'll be penalised for including it again in this question.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Personally I would try to steer away from mentioning experiences you've already discussed anywhere in the application. With the point about showing how your work experiences demonstrate your character, I would question why you can't just include the information within the work experience section itself, rather than needing to repeat this in this question.

That said, if there is a particular experience that you have only briefly referenced, and you have a clear rationale for why you can't include this information elsewhere, I don't think you'll be penalised for including it again in this question.

Thanks Jaysen!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

Only anything different/new that hasn’t been mentioned unfortunately. It’s just providing an opportunity for people to put additional information in that maybe doesn’t fit their particular questions/text boxes to see if there is more to a candidate.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Only anything different/new that hasn’t been mentioned unfortunately. It’s just providing an opportunity for people to put additional information in that maybe doesn’t fit their particular questions/text boxes to see if there is more to a candidate.

Thanks Jessica, I agree. I’m avoiding what’s been mentioned elsewhere and treating it as a box for things I could mention that haven’t already been included!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.