Application Question Help

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing an application and one of the questions is:

What are the biggest challenges facing the legal sector and how do you think Shakespeare Martineau should respond?

I was planning to talk about the coronavirus, and the challenges this poses in terms of creating economic uncertainty and how the firm can try to maintain profitability, adding value etc. I was also planning to talk about the practical impact of being forced to work from home, and the challenges that come with that - staying efficient, cybersecurity risks etc, but I wasn't sure what the firm can do to respond to that particular challenge apart from finding ways to stay connected with staff, and investing in education/protection for cybersecurity risks. I'm not really sure if that's the type of answer they're looking for though.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would try to make this more specific about Corona virus (as it is too big a story to discuss in one answer in a question and in itself corona virus will raise many different issues) and also more client focused rather than staff.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing an application and one of the questions is:

What are the biggest challenges facing the legal sector and how do you think Shakespeare Martineau should respond?

I was planning to talk about the coronavirus, and the challenges this poses in terms of creating economic uncertainty and how the firm can try to maintain profitability, adding value etc. I was also planning to talk about the practical impact of being forced to work from home, and the challenges that come with that - staying efficient, cybersecurity risks etc, but I wasn't sure what the firm can do to respond to that particular challenge apart from finding ways to stay connected with staff, and investing in education/protection for cybersecurity risks. I'm not really sure if that's the type of answer they're looking for though.

Any help would be appreciated :)
I’d also add, whilst it might sound strange, big global issues, like Brexit too for example, can be very troublesome for businesses but they can also present work for law firms. When the markets are in a downturn, there can be an uptake in restructuring and insolvency. So you could talk about Coronavirus and the fact it has slowed markets but you could show some perspective and make your response memorable by offering this nuance.

I agree with Jessica though, it is a big topic. Try to look into regulations which might be a threat to law firms. You can also look at the firm’s strongest practice and pick something specific about that and discuss how this would be impactful. One thing I can think for competition is that the competition authorities are increasingly interventionist and it is causing huge issues for M&A activity and the viability of deals :)

Last edited:

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
I’d also be cautious because, whilst it might sound weird and issues like Covid-19 and Brexit can be very troublesome, they can also present work for law firms too. When the markets are in a downturn, there can be an uptake in restructuring and insolvency. So you could talk about Coronavirus and the fact it has slowed markets but you could show some perspective and make your response memorable by offering this nuance.

I agree with Jessica though, it is a big topic. Try to look into regulations which might be a threat to law firms. You can also look at the firm’s strongest practice and pick something specific about that and discuss how this would be impactful. One thing I can think for competition is that the competition authorities are increasingly interventionist and it is causing huge issues for M&A activity and the viability of deals :)

Thanks, thats really helpful :)

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
I’d also be cautious because, whilst it might sound weird and issues like Covid-19 and Brexit can be very troublesome, they can also present work for law firms too. When the markets are in a downturn, there can be an uptake in restructuring and insolvency. So you could talk about Coronavirus and the fact it has slowed markets but you could show some perspective and make your response memorable by offering this nuance.

Also, on a more general note, do you guys have any advice on tackling questions like this. I always feel like I'm being too broad, but I find it hard because it's asking about the sector as a whole

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also, on a more general note, do you guys have any advice on tackling questions like this. I always feel like I'm being too broad, but I find it hard because it's asking about the sector as a whole

The issue might be about the whole sector, but the second part of the question is very much focused on the firm.

Reactions: Alice G

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
I’d also add, whilst it might sound strange, big global issues, like Brexit too for example, can be very troublesome for businesses but they can also present work for law firms. When the markets are in a downturn, there can be an uptake in restructuring and insolvency. So you could talk about Coronavirus and the fact it has slowed markets but you could show some perspective and make your response memorable by offering this nuance.

Hi Alice,

Thanks for this, I took your advice and did some research into the competition issue and it has been really interesting. Just wanted to ask what might be a really stupid question, do you think I could talk about this on an application which asks for a specifically legal issue. I think it is 'legal' but I just wanted to check it was specific enough.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Alice,

Thanks for this, I took your advice and did some research into the competition issue and it has been really interesting. Just wanted to ask what might be a really stupid question, do you think I could talk about this on an application which asks for a specifically legal issue. I think it is 'legal' but I just wanted to check it was specific enough.

Competition is definitely legal ;). If you are talking about competition regulations broadly again, it’s probably actually too big a topic for an application. However, could you talk about competition in a particular sector, or a particularly change in regulation that will make it easier/more difficult for clients to abide by competition regulation? If you are thinking about Covid-19 and competition law, try to be specific in what you see the impact being - use examples/cases.

(I am also assuming the firm has a good competition law practice area which takes trainees/NQs - if not, think about whether this is the right example for this firm).

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice,

Agree with @Jessica Booker! Definitely a great subject area to discuss and even better if this had genuinely interested you. Do try to pick something more specific to allow you the words and scope to truly analyse it as opposed to making broad and sweeping statements :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.