Are last minute TC applications a waste of time?

Campbell44

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
I am applying to a few training contracts and I am wondering how helpful it really is to apply now (say I send off a few applications a week before the final 31st July deadline).

This legal cheek article seems to suggest that it is pointless:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2015/07/last-minute-training-contract-applications-are-a-waste-of-time/

Anyone ever talked to graduate recruitment about this?

I remember reading that article a while ago and I don't really agree, at least in my experience. I know a few students who secured training contracts last year despite applying really close to the deadline. If you're applying now I think it's around when most people are applying anyway.

Reactions: Legalese

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am applying to a few training contracts and I am wondering how helpful it really is to apply now (say I send off a few applications a week before the final 31st July deadline).

This legal cheek article seems to suggest that it is pointless:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2015/07/last-minute-training-contract-applications-are-a-waste-of-time/

Anyone ever talked to graduate recruitment about this?

Hi Revan,

I just asked a former grad recruiter (at an MC firm) about this. She said the following:

"Recruited enough people from last minute applications to know it’s not a problem.

The reason they are a waste of time is that it’s highly likely that if you are doing them last minute, you are rushing the application. Your research probably isn’t as thorough, you haven’t got time for someone else to check your application, or for you to triple check for errors.

This means that generally standards of applications near the deadline are awful (collectively) because people rush to get them in, rather than putting in a considered application."

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you for asking Jaysen, much appreciated.

That does give me some motivation to get these in whilst being somewhat hopeful! With that in mind, I will triple check them and research well.

Exactly the way to go. If you submit a good application around this time, no doubt yours will stand in contrast to the other rushed applications!

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    Update: a last minute TC application wasn't a waste of time. I sent one in for DWF at 11pm on the deadline and I have just got a video invite.
    (although I have work experience/vac schemes with three of their competitors so I think that would have helped)

Well done! I was going to say, I've sent applications on vacation scheme deadlines before - one was literally minutes before midnight, and still got an interview. As the recruiter said, I think you'll still have a chance as long as it's a decent application. Otherwise having a deadline wouldn't really make sense!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.