Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Are BTECs looked down upon in the application process?

I completed a mixture of A-levels and a BTEC for college. I achieved Business (A), Economics (A), and Information Technology (Distinction* Distinction) which is equivalent to 200 UCAS points so it meets the AAB equivalent.

I am currently in my final year and achieved mid 2.1s for my first and second year. Would I still be able to apply to top city law firms?

I just wanted to to get your opinion on this.

Thanks in advance!

You would only take 3 out of the 4 qualifications (where the BTEC is a double qualification), but as I understand it you’d still be within the UCAS threshold.

Some firms wrongly get sniffy about BTECs in the same way some unis do. You ultimately meet their A-level or equivalent criteria though, so I always recommend making that clear in your applications (by quoting your equivalent UCAS points).

Jawad Elazar

May 23, 2020
@Jessica Booker

Also, I was wondering whether you had any thoughts on self-funding the LPC as opposed to undertaking work experience in one's home jurisdiction (the United Arab Emirates for me), especially during COVID-19, in pursuit of bolstering one's image as an applicant for Training Contracts.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I'm doing the LPC with an MSc attached to it.

Thanks

If it is a master level qualification that finishes no earlier than May 2021, then you will have the right to the new graduate immigration visa.

More info here:

https://www.findamasters.com/advice/blog/5194/uk-graduate-route-post-study-work-visas-information-for-postgraduate-students

A standard or accelerated LPC course is not a masters level qualification, and so wouldn’t be eligible for the visa.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Also, I was wondering whether you had any thoughts on self-funding the LPC as opposed to undertaking work experience in one's home jurisdiction (the United Arab Emirates for me), especially during COVID-19, in pursuit of bolstering one's image as an applicant for Training Contracts.

Thanks!

I don’t think it is a case of one being automatically better than the other. It will depend on how else you are building your CV up alongside working/studying, and obviously what job you end up doing.

SamsanTech

Junior Lawyer
Jul 25, 2020
You would only take 3 out of the 4 qualifications (where the BTEC is a double qualification), but as I understand it you’d still be within the UCAS threshold.

Some firms wrongly get sniffy about BTECs in the same way some unis do. You ultimately meet their A-level or equivalent criteria though, so I always recommend making that clear in your applications (by quoting your equivalent UCAS points).

When you say I should quote my equivalent UCAS points, does this only apply to applications that require a CV? as other applications already ask you to state the equivalent UCAS points (such as applications that use "MyLocker").

Also, on this point, when I fill out grades on MyLocker, on the UCAS points section should I be inserting my overall UCAS points (200 as the BTEC in my case is a double qualification) or just the top 3 qualifications (152)?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When you say I should quote my equivalent UCAS points, does this only apply to applications that require a CV? as other applications already ask you to state the equivalent UCAS points (such as applications that use "MyLocker").

Also, on this point, when I fill out grades on MyLocker, on the UCAS points section should I be inserting my overall UCAS points (200 as the BTEC in my case is a double qualification) or just the top 3 qualifications (152)?

Thanks!

If you have explicitly had to explain your grades then obviously no need to do it again. But if you have just had to tick a box saying you have the necessary UCAS points to be eligible, I’d still explain your UCAS points across your best three subjects, as well as your overall total.

mho77

Aug 12, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I'm an international student studying law in the UK, going into my final year with a solid 2:1. I actually did 2 vacation schemes in Hong Kong this summer (one of them being Allen & Overy) but didn't manage to convert it into a TC. In light of everything happening in Hong Kong, I was hoping to apply to firms in London.

Would it be frowned upon if I applied to Allen & Overy London since I couldn't secure a TC from Allen & Overy Hong Kong? I know firms may have a different culture depending on their location (i.e. Hong Kong A&O may have a different culture to London A&O), but would it be fine if I leveraged my experience in HK A&O, talk about how I understand their culture, and apply for their TC? Or should I apply again through the vac scheme route? Should I talk about my vacation scheme experiences in my applications and use it to my benefit to affirm my interest in commercial law?

Sorry for the long list of questions! Thanks in advance!

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Hi Jessica!

I'm doing the Slaughters vac scheme in mid-September, and they've just emailed to say that I should submit my CV and cover letter for the TC interview before the scheme in preparation for an interview at the end of September. I've updated my CV with some more uni positions I've held, but is it worth updating the cover letter with a line about how much I'm looking forward to the vac scheme? I've been told people rarely make substantial changes to the cover letter from the VC app.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I'm doing the Slaughters vac scheme in mid-September, and they've just emailed to say that I should submit my CV and cover letter for the TC interview before the scheme in preparation for an interview at the end of September. I've updated my CV with some more uni positions I've held, but is it worth updating the cover letter with a line about how much I'm looking forward to the vac scheme? I've been told people rarely make substantial changes to the cover letter from the VC app.

the cover letter doesn’t need substantial changes but should be updated and refined where appropriate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I'm an international student studying law in the UK, going into my final year with a solid 2:1. I actually did 2 vacation schemes in Hong Kong this summer (one of them being Allen & Overy) but didn't manage to convert it into a TC. In light of everything happening in Hong Kong, I was hoping to apply to firms in London.

Would it be frowned upon if I applied to Allen & Overy London since I couldn't secure a TC from Allen & Overy Hong Kong? I know firms may have a different culture depending on their location (i.e. Hong Kong A&O may have a different culture to London A&O), but would it be fine if I leveraged my experience in HK A&O, talk about how I understand their culture, and apply for their TC? Or should I apply again through the vac scheme route? Should I talk about my vacation scheme experiences in my applications and use it to my benefit to affirm my interest in commercial law?

Sorry for the long list of questions! Thanks in advance!

A&O London will probably want to understand why London now when you had applied for a TC with them in HK. If you didn’t secure a TC in HK, then the London office will want to see some development in your application since your VS to demonstrate you are now in a stronger position.

Reactions: mho77

CCH

Standard Member
    May 24, 2020
    Hi Jessica!

I was completing Reed Smith’s winter VS application and I encountered the question “Do you think you are clever?” with no word limit. Do you have any suggestions how to go about this question?

Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I was completing Reed Smith’s winter VS application and I encountered the question “Do you think you are clever?” with no word limit. Do you have any suggestions how to go about this question?

Many thanks!

Interesting question - probably part of their strengths based approach (as I understand it anyway).

I would answer honestly (good self awareness is always important) with rationale, perspective and evidence. If it was me, I’d also throw in some stuff that backs up my cleverness - eg my determination to do something is really my thing that will help me deliver success rather than being instinctively clever - I’ll work hard to make myself “clever” rather than naturally be so.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AllG and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Interesting question - probably part of their strengths based approach (as I understand it anyway).

I would answer honestly (good self awareness is always important) with rationale, perspective and evidence. If it was me, I’d also throw in some stuff that backs up my cleverness - eg my determination to do something is really my thing that will help me deliver success rather than being instinctively clever - I’ll work hard to make myself “clever” rather than naturally be so.

Thinking about it a little more, there’s also lots is types of clever (eg academic, practical, creative) and you can be clever with different topics (mine for instance is reading people), so I might try to drill down in which ways I am clever too (without making the answer too heavy)

Reactions: Holly

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
    Oct 18, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am doing a vac scheme that ends on the 28th August. I could potentially be starting the LPC on the 7th September at BPP if I were to receive a TC offer from the firm after the vac scheme. I have another offer from ULaw (where I would preferably go if I do not get a TC offer) which starts at a similar time. I am just worried that I might not actually hear back from the firm regarding the outcome of the vac scheme before I have to start the LPC. What would you advise I do in the situation?

Reactions: Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am doing a vac scheme that ends on the 28th August. I could potentially be starting the LPC on the 7th September at BPP if I were to receive a TC offer from the firm after the vac scheme. I have another offer from ULaw (where I would preferably go if I do not get a TC offer) which starts at a similar time. I am just worried that I might not actually hear back from the firm regarding the outcome of the vac scheme before I have to start the LPC. What would you advise I do in the situation?

would you be able to drop out of the ULaw LPC with less than two weeks without having to pay the course fees?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The T&C's state that if I cancel my place after acceptance, on or after the 1st September 2020, then I would have to pay the first term fees in full along with the deposit as well:(

I think you need to have a conversation with your vac scheme firm on Monday about this. given your last day is the 28th and Monday 31st is a bank holiday, there’s a very strong chance the firm is not going to be able to meet your deadline. So you need to frame it in a way that is more a case of saying “ if I am fortunate to get an offer, could I do the LPC at another provider?” and explain your deadline.

You are then going to have to make a decision based on what they say and weighing up what you think is the best route to take.

It’s likely you are going to have to make a decision on the LPC before you know whether you have a TC with them or not though.

You may need to consider withdrawing from the ULaw course and taking the risk that you don’t start the LPC this September. You could start in January though (if you don’t secure the TC).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Ayo Babatunde

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.