Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

TLawStudent

Jul 11, 2020
Hi Jessica, I am thinking of applying to a firm whose applications open in September and close in mid December (rolling). Theoretically one should apply ASAP, but I also kind of want to wait till I attend the law fair in October before applying since I might get more insight on the firm and be able to improve on my answers. I'm not sure whether that 1.5 months delay might put me in a huge disadvantage compared to the improvement I can make to my app by waiting.

What do you think - should I wait or apply as soon as it's open? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I am thinking of applying to a firm whose applications open in September and close in mid December (rolling). Theoretically one should apply ASAP, but I also kind of want to wait till I attend the law fair in October before applying since I might get more insight on the firm and be able to improve on my answers. I'm not sure whether that 1.5 months delay might put me in a huge disadvantage compared to the improvement I can make to my app by waiting.

What do you think - should I wait or apply as soon as it's open? Thanks!

Its a bit of a myth applying ASAP. It's important to not apply too late when its rolling recruitment but there can also be a thing of too early, especially if you are not quite ready.

It is fine to wait until the law fair - that's what most people will be doing, in fact most people won't even apply until December.

If you apply in late October, you'll still be ahead of probably around 90% of applicants.

TLawStudent

Jul 11, 2020
Its a bit of a myth applying ASAP. It's important to not apply too late when its rolling recruitment but there can also be a thing of too early, especially if you are not quite ready.

It is fine to wait until the law fair - that's what most people will be doing, in fact most people won't even apply until December.

If you apply in late October, you'll still be ahead of probably around 90% of applicants.

That's good to know, thanks Jessica!

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi Jessica, for the question, "Please include activities, interests and positions of responsibility, whether at school, university or otherwise." - can this include part-time work or is this solely limited to activities undertaken at school/university? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, for the question, "Please include activities, interests and positions of responsibility, whether at school, university or otherwise." - can this include part-time work or is this solely limited to activities undertaken at school/university? :)

No - to me this is anything you do for your own interests rather than to earn money.

SA123

Dec 3, 2019
Hi Jessica. I got to the final stage for a TC but didn't get it. When applying to the same firm the next cycle, can I more or less keep my application the same or should I write new answers to all questions? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. I got to the final stage for a TC but didn't get it. When applying to the same firm the next cycle, can I more or less keep my application the same or should I write new answers to all questions? Thank you!

It doesn’t require a 100% rewrite - things like your past work experience will obviously be the same.

But I think you have to critically evaluate how your application can be improved. There are several levels to this:
  • What additional evidence can you show to show you are a stronger candidate than you were in the last cycle
  • How has you career motivation refined/developed since your last application?
  • For commercial awareness questions, can you use more recent examples rather than relying on last cycle’s answer?
  • With a fresh pair of eyes, could your written style be sharper/more precise/more accurate?
Just because it was a successful application last time does not mean it will be a successful application this time. Firm’s typically remember who they have interviewed and their first question will be “why should I interview you again if nothing much has changed since last time? There’s a significant chance the outcome will be the same if nothing much has changed”

CCH

Standard Member
May 24, 2020
Hi Jessica, for the question, "Please share with us some details about what your career objectives are.'' - what would be an appropriate approach to answer the question? I assume the answer should not be over-descriptive?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, for the question, "Please share with us some details about what your career objectives are.'' - what would be an appropriate approach to answer the question? I assume the answer should not be over-descriptive?

I think you can be as descriptive as the word count allows.

It’s really going to depend on what your career objectives are and how many you have.

But this isn’t a trick question nor one that needs a lot of deep thinking. You just have to present what is important to you in terms of your career.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I interviewed at a firm last week and was rejected yesterday. In the rejection letter they said that the quality of candidates was so good that they added an extra TC place, but would inevitably have to disappoint some people, and as a result, would not give any feedback at all on the interview.

I'm feeling a little bummed out as I'm not really sure what to make of it. It's the same sort of language that we all get on automated rejection letters so it feels like a cop out - I highly doubt fresh faced graduates are so perfect at interview that nothing could be improved! Not to mention, I've just received another interview offer and would really like to know how I could possibly improve.

Is there anything that I could possibly ask them via email that might make them change their mind?

Really keen to hear your thoughts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I interviewed at a firm last week and was rejected yesterday. In the rejection letter they said that the quality of candidates was so good that they added an extra TC place, but would inevitably have to disappoint some people, and as a result, would not give any feedback at all on the interview.

I'm feeling a little bummed out as I'm not really sure what to make of it. It's the same sort of language that we all get on automated rejection letters so it feels like a cop out - I highly doubt fresh faced graduates are so perfect at interview that nothing could be improved! Not to mention, I've just received another interview offer and would really like to know how I could possibly improve.

Is there anything that I could possibly ask them via email that might make them change their mind?

Really keen to hear your thoughts.

You can email them politely asking for the feedback and explain you think this will help with an upcoming interview.

You could seek a SAR but that is likely to take many weeks or months and may not resolve itself in time for your next interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica,

I hope you are doing well in these unprecedented time. Thank you for sharing your advice on the forum and I have (as always) found it extremely useful!

May I ask when the person specification (for the role of a trainee) includes traits like integrity, commercial awareness and common sense, are candidates expected to illustrate these three traits in their cover letters and CVs? I am unsure how I can demonstrate these qualities without sounding odd, so I was wondering if they would only be tested at a later stage of the assessment process?

Thank you :).

You don’t have to claim these qualities explicitly - this can often come across as a bit glib and unnecessary.

But in a CV you can potentially show these qualities subtly through how you describe your experiences. For instance many of the problem solving responsibilities someone would have in a part time retail/hospitality job will typically demonstrate common sense.

Integrity doesn’t have to be explicitly claimed either. If you have had to do any role where you have to cash up at the end of the day, or if you have been responsible for any extra curricular activities involving matters that need integrity.

Commercial awareness can be demonstrated through your work experience or extra curricular activities in your CV. Explaining your motivations for why the firm/why a training contract with them in a CV may also demonstrate your commercial awareness and how this links to your career motivation.

A recruiter is a human being and someone who reads applications/CVs all the time - they are literally an expert at seeing qualities or competencies in the detail of your experiences that they don’t need to be explicitly told you have developed these things. There are some rare exceptions - sometimes you have a rare experience that may need explaining more, but even then I think the language you use will still do that better than saying something as blunt as “Developed commercial awareness through X”.

So in short, think about what responsibilities/achievements demonstrate those qualities and just describe them instead (especially on a CV).

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: em311, Jaysen and EZ_D

frow3n

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Just wanted to ask how much GDL grades can offset A-levels and degree grades? I'm aiming for UK SC / US firms and considering going for MC firms but not sure if I have a shot there to be honest with my current grades. No extenuating circumstances apply to these grades.
    • A levels - ABB
    • Undergraduate: low 2.1 (61.5%) from Exeter.
    • GDL BPP Waterloo (completed 2020) - Distinction 72.6%.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Just wanted to ask how much GDL grades can offset A-levels and degree grades? I'm aiming for UK SC / US firms and considering going for MC firms but not sure if I have a shot there to be honest with my current grades. No extenuating circumstances apply to these grades.
    • A levels - ABB
    • Undergraduate: low 2.1 (61.5%) from Exeter.
    • GDL BPP Waterloo (completed 2020) - Distinction 72.6%.

GDL grades don’t really off-set undergraduate or A-level grades unfortunately. Your grades are solid though and for many commercial firms will be enough - they might not be MC or US firms though - that depends on the strength of the rest of your application really.

frow3n

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2019
    GDL grades don’t really off-set undergraduate or A-level grades unfortunately. Your grades are solid though and for many commercial firms will be enough - they might not be MC or US firms though - that depends on the strength of the rest of your application really.
    Thanks! At least they're good for many commercial firms, that's the main concern!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks! At least they're good for many commercial firms, that's the main concern!

I wouldn’t limit yourself to US/SC/MC firms - there will be some good international firms outside of that group who you might want to consider.

Maybe try and get open days or networking events with the firms that might be slightly out of reach as a first step. If you get on them, that will be more of a sign that they will consider you for vac schemes/TCs.

frow3n

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2019
    I wouldn’t limit yourself to US/SC/MC firms - there will be some good international firms outside of that group who you might want to consider.

Maybe try and get open days or networking events with the firms that might be slightly out of reach as a first step. If you get on them, that will be more of a sign that they will consider you for vac schemes/TCs.

I've had open days with CC, Orrick & Reed Smith. Interviewed at RS & Orrick so I think that's the level I should continue to aim at then?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.