Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Hi Jessica, just wondering whether its possible for me to private message you my undergrad grades to get your input on whether they are a big hinderence for me when applying for certain firms? Even though I finished my undergraduate degree in 2019, I'm just worried about my grades now because I don't really think the circumstances around my final year grades would be considered as mitigating circs

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, just wondering whether its possible for me to private message you my undergrad grades to get your input on whether they are a big hinderence for me when applying for certain firms? Even though I finished my undergraduate degree in 2019, I'm just worried about my grades now because I don't really think the circumstances around my final year grades would be considered as mitigating circs

of course - not a problem at all, please PM me

• 🤝
Reactions: Lawbour

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker, I am currently doing an application for K&L Gates. The firm has stated that we can add a covering letter if we wish to (however, this has not been made compulsory). Given that the application questions have already asked at length on 'why law,' 'why K&L Gates', 'why you' and specific achievements, would it is still be recommended to add a covering letter?

I can't think of what else to add on the covering letter to be honest, since the application questions have already covered most of what would go in it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I am currently doing an application for K&L Gates. The firm has stated that we can add a covering letter if we wish to (however, this has not been made compulsory). Given that the application questions have already asked at length on 'why law,' 'why K&L Gates', 'why you' and specific achievements, would it is still be recommended to add a covering letter?

I can't think of what else to add on the covering letter to be honest, since the application questions have already covered most of what would go in it.

Id only do a cover letter if you feel you have something you need to include. It wouldn’t be optional if it was important/necessary.

Reactions: IntrepidL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I was wondering how far back can you go with your achievements when there's a question asking to list our your achievements/ responsibilities? Is secondary school too far back? (If I graduated uni in 2016) Thank you!

it’s quite common for people to list extra curriculars from school/sixth form and it’s ok to do so. I’d question whether using examples for major competency questions is suitable - althkihgh have still seen them work if the are impressive. It’s just a case of balancing that out with whether you have more modern examples that would showcase your skill set is rather than back then

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
it’s quite common for people to list extra curriculars from school/sixth form and it’s ok to do so. I’d question whether using examples for major competency questions is suitable - althkihgh have still seen them work if the are impressive. It’s just a case of balancing that out with whether you have more modern examples that would showcase your skill set is rather than back then

Thank you!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker

Is it worth applying for CMS as they recruit on a rolling basis and heard they have given out some ACs already. The deadline for CMS Academy (VS) is 04/01/2021.
If you like the firm then it’s always worth applying- you can’t be considered if not and I applied on deadline day for some rolling firms and was still offered AC invites so just make sure it’s a great app and I don’t see why not :)

• 🤝
Reactions: H S, Dwight and Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Is it worth applying for CMS as they recruit on a rolling basis and heard they have given out some ACs already. The deadline for CMS Academy (VS) is 04/01/2021.

yes - definitely. Doesn’t close for two and a half weeks, and they will have to do a lot of ACs to get to their total hiring numbers so just because some are done, doesn’t really mean a lot.

Got to be in it to win it.

Reactions: H S, Dwight and JW

Annie L

Premium Member
Nov 10, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker
I am struggling with the following question:
What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled? (250 words max)
I have already done the 'Why this firm' and 'why commercial law' questions, which include a lot of my motivations and interests and how they match with commercial law and the firm itself. How would you say this question is different in order to avoid overlap?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker
What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled? (250 words max)
I have already done the 'Why this firm' and 'why commercial law' questions, which include a lot of my motivations and interests and how they match with commercial law and the firm itself. How would you say this question is different in order to avoid overlap?
Hi there, just to but my 2 cents in- I empathise as I do feel there is some crossover here but maybe think about what drives you in any workplace, not just law- are you motivated by working with people who inspire you everyday? Are you motivated by having a great support network and mentoring? Are you motivated by having groups and societies you can feel part of? These are a few questions which might help to start you thinking in a slightly broader way :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

What makes you motivated/fulfilled isn’t necessarily why commercial law. It’s more looking at the intrinsic processes or outcomes that make you happy/motivated. This is more talking about you and what pushes you to succeed, what you want to achieve in your long term career - that doesn’t have to be subject specific which a “why commercial law” question is

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I just finished a winter VS - had a good working relationship with my supervisor and we talked daily. On our last call they said to me to keep in touch and said they didn't want me to feel as if I never met them. I am very happy this happened and they were great. But, how can I keep in touch - first scheme so don't know how to stay in touch while remaining professional. When, what and how to message? Can you please give me some advice?

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I just finished a winter VS - had a good working relationship with my supervisor and we talked daily. On our last call they said to me to keep in touch and said they didn't want me to feel as if I never met them. I am very happy this happened and they were great. But, how can I keep in touch - first scheme so don't know how to stay in touch while remaining professional. When, what and how to message? Can you please give me some advice?

Thank you

Contact them when you have a reason to do so. It’s as simple as that - don’t over think it.

Reactions: Dwight

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) it’s not a strengths based question. It’s just trying to find out if you are a normal person who can relax away from work one way or another (that’s a very important quality).

2) no - the answer is about you, not about the firm

3) to find out if you have applied before - as simple as that. There’s no hidden meaning behind it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Deleted member 3930

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I understand. Thanks a lot again. I really appreciate your help :)

EDIT: May I just ask if having applied several times before but was unsuccessful count against my latest application?

Depends on the firm’s policy of reapplying. Also depends what you have done since your last application.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Deleted member 3930

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

For this Travers Smith's application question, "Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere*", do I have to link my POR and achievements to Travers Smith or do I just have to discuss in detail what I did? Please note that they have a cover letter and the following question in addition to the question above for their application to a vacation scheme: Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.*

Thank you for your continued support!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.