Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

topsawyer

Nov 12, 2020
Highly unlikely you will be at a disadvantage, otherwise there would be little reason in running the later scheme.

Grad Rec tend to work out how many people they have across schemes and then work out roughly how many people could be offered collectively, based on their previous year offer and acceptance rates.

They also tend to hold position back for vac schemers for this purpose, even if they have had earlier recruitment processes completed.
Perfect! Thank you so much!

FL0011

Standard Member
Sep 9, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I was wondering if you could give an insight as to how much and how in-depth we are expected to know about a firm at an AC? I have one coming up and I am not too sure if I am focussing too much on my firm knowledge rather than preparing for competency questions.

Thanks for your help :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I was wondering if you could give an insight as to how much and how in-depth we are expected to know about a firm at an AC? I have one coming up and I am not too sure if I am focussing too much on my firm knowledge rather than preparing for competency questions.

Thanks for your help :)
You are not going to be expected to know lots about the firm, but you are going to be expected to be able to talk about the firm confidently in the subject areas that are important to you and your application.

missw01

Jan 28, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker
Please could you advice me with regards to this question.
‘ If you already obtained work experience in the legal sector, please explain how this opportunity arose’
I have some volunteering legal experience for a charity which I applied for. However, I had placements in law firms for summer 2020 but due to Coronavirus could not attend. Would you mention these?
Thanks
Bailey

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
Please could you advice me with regards to this question.
‘ If you already obtained work experience in the legal sector, please explain how this opportunity arose’
I have some volunteering legal experience for a charity which I applied for. However, I had placements in law firms for summer 2020 but due to Coronavirus could not attend. Would you mention these?
Thanks
Bailey
What they are asking for here is how you got the job. So it’s not going to be appropriate to list placements that didn’t happen here. I’d put them elsewhere win an application, like an additional information section or cover letter type document.

Lohana

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
Hi Jessica, I'm currently working on this question:

Being ambitious for success is one of the core elements of the Gateley Team Spirit. Please provide an example of when you have been ambitious for success (200 words)

Do you know what sort of things they might be looking for (e.g. more personal or a team ambition) and anything else?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are fine. Are there any special requirements for international Direct TC applicants who fly down to London for the AC, other than the airfares/accommodation etc.?

Thank You.
I am not quite sure what you mean here. There are no visa requirements for an interview etc if that’s what you are asking. A firm won’t have any requirements. It is really the candidate who requires the airfare and accommodation, so anything other requirements would be down to the candidate not the firm.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I'm currently working on this question:

Being ambitious for success is one of the core elements of the Gateley Team Spirit. Please provide an example of when you have been ambitious for success (200 words)

Do you know what sort of things they might be looking for (e.g. more personal or a team ambition) and anything else?

Thank you!

Their website says the following (below). So it doesn’t need to be a team working example (that is just how they name their values) it just really needs to encompass the final bullet point. That can come from anything though - they won’t be looking for anything specific beyond you demonstrating when you have pushed yourself to ensure success in something.

Our culture - our Gateley Team Spirit – underpins everything that we do:
  • we work together, collaborating to bring out the best in each other;
  • we are forward thinkers, motivated by change and doing things differently;
  • we have room to breathe, supported to bring the best of ourselves to work;
  • we are trusted to do, encouraged to use our professional experience to deliver a great service to our internal and external clients; and
  • we are ambitious for success, quietly confident and never boastful.

Reactions: Lohana

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker Wanted to ask you, is there any point in applying to firms with minimum A-level requirements when I don't meet the criteria? I guess the answer is obvious but are there any exceptions?
Thank You.
Exceptions are if they use contextualised processes which you think you may fall under or if you have extenuating circumstances.

Also look at the language they use:

“Candidates must have achieved”

is very different to

“We look for candidates who have achieved”

or

“Candidates will typically have”

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Morning Jessica,

I'm writing an app for a firm which is asking me to "tell us something which did not turn out as expected" in 200 words.

Am I right in thinking that they want me to use STAR (or perhaps a more abbreviated version of it given the short word limit) to explain the situation and how I responded to it?

The example I would like to use relates to managing clashing priorities after a surprise car accident in exam week a few years back meant I had to defer an exam and juggle studying with roles I had already committed to as a waiter and volunteer law clinic advisor over the summer holiday.

However, I'm on the fence about whether I should use this example. Do you think it could work for this question? I tend to use it in competency interviews to answer questions about balancing tasks and time management.

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    I received this rejection email from Akin Gump and would love some advice @Jessica Booker .

"Thank you for your application to our 2021 London Summer Vacation Scheme, we read your application with interest however this year has seen a particularly swift and competitive process and unfortunately, we are not able to offer any further interviews for our Summer Vacation Scheme.
    If you still seek a 2023 Training Contract, you would be most welcome to apply to Akin Gump, if you have not done so already, and we will ensure that your application is given early consideration with no need for further on-line testing."

I am assuming this is not their generic rejection email?
    That being the case, would you suggest waiting a month or two before applying for the direct TC to build/strengthen my application further or just apply ASAP so as not to miss out again?
    Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I received this rejection email from Akin Gump and would love some advice @Jessica Booker .

"Thank you for your application to our 2021 London Summer Vacation Scheme, we read your application with interest however this year has seen a particularly swift and competitive process and unfortunately, we are not able to offer any further interviews for our Summer Vacation Scheme.
    If you still seek a 2023 Training Contract, you would be most welcome to apply to Akin Gump, if you have not done so already, and we will ensure that your application is given early consideration with no need for further on-line testing."

I am assuming this is not their generic rejection email?
    That being the case, would you suggest waiting a month or two before applying for the direct TC to build/strengthen my application further or just apply ASAP so as not to miss out again?
    Thank you
    Doesn’t sound like a generic rejection.

Depends on the strength of your application now and whether you really think it could be improved in the next 2-3 months.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I’m waiting on a reply from an interview I did two weeks ago for a spring VS. I was told to keep an eye on my emails over the next few days. As far as I know, they were doing interviews last week still. The problem is that I currently work full time and in order to be able to participate in the VS I really have to hand in my notice by this Friday so I can leave in time for the VS (I cannot work elsewhere during my employment according to my contract). Would it be acceptable to send them an E-Mail asking again when I should hear back and/or explaining my situation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I’m waiting on a reply from an interview I did two weeks ago for a spring VS. I was told to keep an eye on my emails over the next few days. As far as I know, they were doing interviews last week still. The problem is that I currently work full time and in order to be able to participate in the VS I really have to hand in my notice by this Friday so I can leave in time for the VS (I cannot work elsewhere during my employment according to my contract). Would it be acceptable to send them an E-Mail asking again when I should hear back and/or explaining my situation?
    Yes - I would phone them on Wednesday asking for a potential update or when you should hear back.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I received some GDL marks today, and was wondering how much importance large commercial firms put on a public law module? In the other modules I received a distinction but the public law one was just a pass which I was really disappointed in - I know a lot of firms put importance on a contract law module but would a low mark in a public law module put me at a disadvantage somehow?

Thanks for your help!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Jessica, I received some GDL marks today, and was wondering how much importance large commercial firms put on a public law module? In the other modules I received a distinction but the public law one was just a pass which I was really disappointed in - I know a lot of firms put importance on a contract law module but would a low mark in a public law module put me at a disadvantage somehow?

Thanks for your help!
    I doubt it would cause an issue if you're overall average is still a commendation or above tbh

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.