Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Ive just been offered a VS and have 5 days to accept the offer. I did another AC at a different firm last Wednesday and haven't heard back from them yet (I actually prefer this firm). Is it worth me contacting them and telling them that I need to hear from them before the deadline for my other offer? Chances are they'll get back to me soon anyway since I know Wednesday wasn't long ago, not sure if badgering them would be productive though.

Cheers

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Ive just been offered a VS and have 5 days to accept the offer. I did another AC at a different firm last Wednesday and haven't heard back from them yet (I actually prefer this firm). Is it worth me contacting them and telling them that I need to hear from them before the deadline for my other offer? Chances are they'll get back to me soon anyway since I know Wednesday wasn't long ago, not sure if badgering them would be productive though.

Cheers
In this situation there is no harm in doing so if you know the schemes would clash and you would have to accept one over the other. You can say you don’t need to know immediately but that if they could update you by the end of the week, you would greatly appreciated it.

I’d also call them rather than email as your tone will get across a lot more enthusiasm for the firm than text that can be read in a multitude of ways.

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
In this situation there is no harm in doing so if you know the schemes would clash and you would have to accept one over the other. You can say you don’t need to know immediately but that if they could update you by the end of the week, you would greatly appreciated it.

I’d also call them rather than email as your tone will get across a lot more enthusiasm for the firm than text that can be read in a multitude of ways.
thanks for this, its a weird one. I originally applied to the Bristol scheme, but could no longer attend the dates so they said that if i was successful at interview they put me on a VS at another office but still assess me for the Bristol TC. They haven't made public the dates for any of the other VSs so i can't be certain they will clash, but there is a high likely hood.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks for this, its a weird one. I originally applied to the Bristol scheme, but could no longer attend the dates so they said that if i was successful at interview they put me on a VS at another office but still assess me for the Bristol TC. They haven't made public the dates for any of the other VSs so i can't be certain they will clash, but there is a high likely hood.
Maybe the first question is to ask if they could confirm the dates of the scheme as you have another offer and need to understand if they clash or not.

Reactions: j2134

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. Is there any structure to answer questions like " What are your strengths/weaknesses" and "Why law/firm X etc.." We for sure cannot use the STAR/CAR here but how can we then ensure a proper structure here?

Thank you.
    Hey, obviously not Jessica but thought I’d offer my opinion. The way I’ve usually approached them is to first outline your argument’s structure as it allows your interviewers to understand exactly what you’re talking about. So for biggest strengths I’d say, “my 3 biggest strengths are (1), (2) and (3). Strength (1) is crucial as a commercial lawyer because of X, and I have demonstrated this skill during Y (then talk about an experience which you could use STAR for but really focus on the A and R). Then I’d move onto Strength (2) etc.

I do the same for why firm and why law questions too. It just provides some structure to answers and I find it helps make sure I don’t waffle :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hey, obviously not Jessica but thought I’d offer my opinion. The way I’ve usually approached them is to first outline your argument’s structure as it allows your interviewers to understand exactly what you’re talking about. So for biggest strengths I’d say, “my 3 biggest strengths are (1), (2) and (3). Strength (1) is crucial as a commercial lawyer because of X, and I have demonstrated this skill during Y (then talk about an experience which you could use STAR for but really focus on the A and R). Then I’d move onto Strength (2) etc.

I do the same for why firm and why law questions too. It just provides some structure to answers and I find it helps make sure I don’t waffle :)
    Thank you for your help. Just one follow-up question please: Is it necessary to link the "strengths" to the role of a commercial lawyer? Wouldn't that be something that they could infer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I personally wouldn’t go into individual STAR answers for each strength/weakness as that will be a very long answer, although if it was one strength and one weakness then you could do it.

The key for the weakness part is to talk about what you are doing to develop it rather than going through STAR examples though, because it is much more about how you are exploring opportunities to work on that weakness rather than having worked on that weakness.

With any answer (no matter what the question) you have to remember your interviewer will probably only remember a certain percentage of what you said even by the end of the interview. So it’s about ensuring you don’t go into unnecessary detail and prioritise your message. What do you need your interviewer to remember? Focus on that part and then build around it with necessary detail/evidence.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi @Jessica Booker !

If you are referring to the graduate recruitment team of a firm in an online thank you post do you capitalise 'Graduate Recruitment Team'?
    I really wouldn’t worry about this if this is a social media post! But technically it should not be capitalised unless you were saying the person’s name and then their job title... eg

I’d like to thank Jessica Booker, Graduate Recruitment Manager.

but

I’d like to thank the graduate recruitment team.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I have a partner interview coming up and I'm wondering how long each response to a question should be. I'm currently around 2-3 minutes as I'm giving about 2-3 detailed answers in response and I'm wondering if that's too long.
    Don’t focus on how long an answer is in terms of length. It’s not like there is a fixed amount to this. Sometimes an answer can be given in less than 30 seconds.

I don’t see why you would give 2-3 detailed answers to a question though. One is sufficient!

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    Don’t focus on how long an answer is in terms of length. It’s not like there is a fixed amount to this. Sometimes an answer can be given in less than 30 seconds.

I don’t see why you would give 2-3 detailed answers to a question though. One is sufficient!
    Thanks. I guess for questions like "why this firm" and "why you" I thought it would be a good idea to give two or three reasons and back my reasons up with personal experiences.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks. I guess for questions like "why this firm" and "why you" I thought it would be a good idea to give two or three reasons and back my reasons up with personal experiences.
    You don’t need to “back them up” as such. You can literally say “Through X I have developed my interest in Y” you don’t need to necessarily explain X.

Yes, with those type of questions having 2-3 key points to explain your answer can be a good approach. But again, it’s not like you have to go into detailed, evidenced answers to explain that. It literally could be something along the lines of

I am applying to you because of your strength in M&A, your flexible training contract structure and because everyone I have met through attending your careers events has been inspirational and welcoming.

My interest in M&A stemmed from studying X module at university, where I enjoyed the Y aspects of it. This interest was developed further during my work experience with Joe Bloggs LLP, where I sat in Corporate.

The flexible training contract is important to me as I would like the ability to experience multiple practice areas, but potentially change seats if I find an area of particular interest to focus on.

Finally, being in a welcoming environment with world-class people is important to me. I want to work with the best people and in a supportive environment. I have personally found that the most fulfilling, as I experienced during my time working at Q.

The above will take less than 45 seconds to say.

Remember your interviewer can always ask follow up questions to get more detail if they think it is important

Last edited:
    Reactions: KGNines

vicdennn04

• Apr 28, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Due to the Tier 4 restrictions on LPC students on the LLM route undertaking work during their year of study, I am unable to apply for or undertake any vacation schemes. I understand this is the main gateway for many firms to recruit trainees.

I am therefore only able to apply for direct training contracts. Do you have any advice/tips for someone in my position to strengthen my chances of standing out? I don't want to be lost in the sea of applications, but I truly don't have another choice.

Thanks very much!

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    You don’t need to “back them up” as such. You can literally say “Through X I have developed my interest in Y” you don’t need to necessarily explain X.

Yes, with those type of questions having 2-3 key points to explain your answer can be a good approach. But again, it’s not like you have to go into detailed, evidenced answers to explain that. It literally could be something along the lines of

I am applying to you because of your strength in M&A, your flexible training contract structure and because everyone I have met through attending your careers events has been inspirational and welcoming.

My interest in M&A stemmed from studying X module at university, where I enjoyed the Y aspects of it. This interest was developed further during my work experience with Joe Bloggs LLP, where I sat in Corporate.

The flexible training contract is important to me as I would like the ability to experience multiple practice areas, but potentially change seats if I find an area of particular interest to focus on.

Finally, being in a welcoming environment with world-class people is important to me. I want to work with the best people and in a supportive environment. I have personally found that the most fulfilling, as I experienced during my time working at Q.

The above will take less than 45 seconds to say.

Remember your interviewer can always ask follow up questions to get more detail if they think it is important
    This is very helpful. Thank you

D

Deleted member 3930

Hi Jessica @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well. I previously attended an interview with a firm and was told that I would hear back this week. I haven't heard back yet but I have an interview with another firm the coming week. Hence, regardless of the outcome, any feedback from the previous interview will be immensely helpful for my preparation for the upcoming interview. Could I ask if it would be appropriate to ask for feedback from my previous interview, without specifically asking for the outcome? Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well. I previously attended a first-stage interview with a firm and was told that I would hear back this week. I haven't heard back yet but I have an interview with another firm the coming week. Hence, regardless of the outcome, any feedback from the previous interview will be immensely helpful for my preparation for the upcoming interview. Could I ask if it would be appropriate to ask for feedback from my pervious interview, without specifically asking for the outcome? Thank you very much.
    You can, but feedback might not be possible so quickly, but there is no harm in asking.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.