Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker

Just out of interest, how are AC scored? I’ve been told that they shouldn’t be viewed as competitive as assessors are just looking to see if you meet a benchmark… or is it in fact that it is a competitive activity and you are judged against other people?
You are scored individually and against matrix that everyone else is scored against, not against other people.

Reactions: A.Diane01

M991

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I had an AC last week and it seem like I will hear back from the firm towards the end of the month. One of my interviewers was a trainee and they added me on LinkedIn before the interview, wished me good luck, etc. As I have another AC coming up next week and I would really appreciate some advice on my interview performance (what I can focus on improving in my preparation), would it be appropriate to message the trainee, explain that I have some other interview soon and ask them for some general feedback on my interview (as long as they are allowed to provide me with any information)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I had an AC last week and it seem like I will hear back from the firm towards the end of the month. One of my interviewers was a trainee and they added me on LinkedIn before the interview, wished me good luck, etc. As I have another AC coming up next week and I would really appreciate some advice on my interview performance (what I can focus on improving in my preparation), would it be appropriate to message the trainee, explain that I have some other interview soon and ask them for some general feedback on my interview (as long as they are allowed to provide me with any information)?
I’d just go to the graduate recruitment team to ask for feedback rather than individual assessors, even if you have connected on LinkedIn. You can ask for the feedback and explain you have another interview coming up and so would like any feedback to help prepare for that. They will understand.

Reactions: M991

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Probably a stupid question but does the Grad Rec team ever reject someone by mistake lol? I mean how fool proof is the PFO process?

Thanks.
It’s a process reliant on humans and they make errors, so yes it is completely possible like most things in life.

Paaris

• Dec 18, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker , this may have already been answered so apologies if I am raising it again.

I'm just curious, when it comes to interviews in general and as someone that identifies as female, what is the appropriate dress code? I usually stick with a black trouser suit, but would a patterned trouser suit be a no no? So if it was a grey checked trouser suit or a grey houndstooth suit?
    Also, if I wore a black or navy skirt suit, would that be okay, as long as the skirt was up to the knees, or would it need to be below the knee? I would pair the suit with a white shirt.

This is purely out of curiosity I am asking! I've always wanted to know what's acceptable at training contract interviews!

Thanks very much

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , this may have already been answered so apologies if I am raising it again.

I'm just curious, when it comes to interviews in general and as someone that identifies as female, what is the appropriate dress code? I usually stick with a black trouser suit, but would a patterned trouser suit be a no no? So if it was a grey checked trouser suit or a grey houndstooth suit?
    Also, if I wore a black or navy skirt suit, would that be okay, as long as the skirt was up to the knees, or would it need to be below the knee? I would pair the suit with a white shirt.

This is purely out of curiosity I am asking! I've always wanted to know what's acceptable at training contract interviews!

Thanks very much
    All of those would be perfectly acceptable.

The colours and patterns you have mentioned are all regularly worn in offices.

A skirt should really be only just above the knee.

M991

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker! Hope you are doing well.

Last week, I interviewed with Firm A that asked me update them on my applications with other firms while I am waiting for them to get back to me with the outcome of my interview. I did previously let them know when I got to the interview stage with some other firms and mentioned that I had completed a written exercise with Firm B. Now I have been invited to the final stage interview at Firm B - shall I email Firm A about it, or is it not necessary as they know that I have been in the application process (post application) with Firm B anyways?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! Hope you are doing well.

Last week, I interviewed with Firm A that asked me update them on my applications with other firms while I am waiting for them to get back to me with the outcome of my interview. I did previously let them know when I got to the interview stage with some other firms and mentioned that I had completed a written exercise with Firm B. Now I have been invited to the final stage interview at Firm B - shall I email Firm A about it, or is it not necessary as they know that I have been in the application process (post application) with Firm B anyways?
    I would only update them if you get an offer from firm B.

Reactions: M991

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker i have received a VS offer and the firm is running two dates almost back to back. Do you think it’s a fair question to ask if TC offers will be made after both schemes or on a rolling basis? Just so I can then choose which scheme might be the better option?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker i have received a VS offer and the firm is running two dates almost back to back. Do you think it’s a fair question to ask if TC offers will be made after both schemes or on a rolling basis? Just so I can then choose which scheme might be the better option?
    You could ask, but it won't work like that, so I don't think you need to ask.

The second scheme will have just as much chance as the first.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker , could you please tell me, if firms have a few vacant spots left after they're done conducting their vac schemes (and this is in context for a firm that predominantly hires via vac schemes only and not Direct TCs) , then is there any possibility that they might get in touch with applicants who they had rejected before? Basically, is the PFO reversible under any circumstances? Do firms ever get back to people who they reject?

I know that I asked something similar yesterday but my apologies. I just worked really hard for a particular firm and I just want to know if there is any possibility to be considered by them after getting a PFO, anything at all.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker , could you please tell me, if firms have a few vacant spots left after they're done conducting their vac schemes (and this is in context for a firm that predominantly hires via vac schemes only and not Direct TCs) , then is there any possibility that they might get in touch with applicants who they had rejected before? Basically, is the PFO reversible under any circumstances? Do firms ever get back to people who they reject?

I know that I asked something similar yesterday but my apologies. I just worked really hard for a particular firm and I just want to know if there is any possibility to be considered by them after getting a PFO, anything at all.

Thanks.
    This is highly unlikely - due to the lead in time, they would just try and recruit from the next cycle if they had spaces left.

I don't want to give false hope and so I would strongly recommend looking at other firms and/or think about reapplying in the next recruitment cycle.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    This is highly unlikely - due to the lead in time, they would just try and recruit from the next cycle if they had spaces left.

I don't want to give false hope and so I would strongly recommend looking at other firms and/or think about reapplying in the next recruitment cycle.
    Just one last follow up question, please. Linklaters says that you can only take their CAPP test and their WG once per year but my question is, what can we possibly do if we were rejected because of our scores in these tests? Applying in a new cycle makes no sense in that case because Links does not ask for much. Do you think applying via a new email ID should work if we want to improve our chances in the next cycle by taking these tests again?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just one last follow up question, please. Linklaters says that you can only take their CAPP test and their WG once per year but my question is, what can we possibly do if we were rejected because of our scores in these tests? Applying in a new cycle makes no sense in that case because Links does not ask for much. Do you think applying via a new email ID should work if we want to improve our chances in the next cycle?

Thanks
    Applying with a different email is unlikely to work. The application system should be sophisticated enough to pick up you will be a duplicate applicant based on the other information you provide (name/address/key data like study dates).

Changing your email isn't necessarily the solution though - passing the test will be, and that won't be dependent on your email address.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Applying with a different email is unlikely to work. The application system should be sophisticated enough to pick up you will be a duplicate applicant based on the other information you provide (name/address/key data like study dates).

Changing your email isn't necessarily the solution though - passing the test will be, and that won't be dependent on your email address.
    My apologies but I think there's some miscommunication. What I meant was that there is no way that we can take the tests again in the same year of making the application and so I don't know if I got a PFO from the firm because they didn't like my academic performance or I didn't do well on the CAPP+WG. So, I was asking, what is it that I can do differently with the same test scores in the next cycle when I apply again because if I have a poor CAPP and a poor WG score, then IMO there is nothing much that I can do to improve my chances with the firm since the test scores remain the exact same.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My apologies but I think there's some miscommunication. What I meant was that there is no way that we can take the tests again in the same year of making the application and so I don't know if I got a PFO from the firm because they didn't like my academic performance or I didn't do well on the CAPP+WG. So, I was asking, what is it that I can do differently with the same test scores in the next cycle when I apply again because if I have a poor CAPP and a poor WG score, then IMO there is nothing much that I can do to improve my chances with the firm since the test scores remain the exact same.

Thanks.
    Sorry, the different email question at the end of the post was what I was responding to.

You could ask the firm to confirm whether it was your CAPP/WG or your application that made the decision.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.