- Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, happy new year!
I've been offered and accepted a TC through a direct TC process (Firm A). I was then offered another TC through a direct TC process with another firm (Firm B). Prior to all of those, I completed a WVS (with Firm C) and agreed to be considered for a TC offer.
My questions are as follows:
1. What's the etiquette for turning down Firm B? I've been given a deadline to accept and was wondering whether an email or a call is most appropriate before this deadline, or whether they'd prefer I just let it lapse. Moreover, when I turn the offer down via either method, will I need to mention I've accepted an offer with Firm A? It's not a problem if so, I just don't want to say something they don't appreciate though I'm sure they've heard rejections for this reason before.
2. Should I withdraw from Firm C's recruitment process? We will hear in Jan whether we've been offered a TC and they don't offer that many people from the VS a TC. I think my chances of being offered aren't that high. Either way, I'd like to receive feedback on my performance on the scheme and I'm not sure I'd get that if I withdraw. Secondly, should this be done by call or email if I should withdraw?
I don't mind phoning instead of emailing for both, but I don't want to make it an awkward call for the myself and the grad rec teams if they'd prefer to hear this stuff by email haha!
Thank you in advance
1) just email to say you will not be accepting the offer. They will need something in writing anyway, so email is the best bet. You don’t have to name firm A if you don’t want to, but I would say you have decided to accept another training contract elsewhere. They are likely to reply to you asking where you will be joining though (they like to know to understand who their competitors are), so if you are happy to disclose which firm it is with, then mention you will be joining firm A.
Firms/recruiters are pretty used to rejections so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you have an offer that’s better for you, they will prefer you to go elsewhere. They will easily be able to offer someone else, so won’t be too fussed about you turning them down. They won’t care whether you call or email, but they will need something in writing anyway, so it depends on what you want to do/what you feel comfortable doing, as to whether you call first or not.
2) You can just wait for the outcome. No matter what the outcome, you can get feedback. I don’t think they will stop the feedback process just because you have accepted another role. Same goes with the above, you can call if that’s what you’d prefer but you’ll need to follow up in writing or withdraw your application on their applicant tracking system (if you can do this via their system).