Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Not saying this happened in the above circumstances, but there’s loads of times I have really wanted to someone to apply because they have impressed me in person, and then their application form just doesn’t come anywhere near to meeting to standard required.

also open day’s/careers events sometimes have different recruitment processes in place to a VS/TC, and so often people don’t meet the more stringent processes.
What do you mean by different recruitment processes, if you don't mind me asking?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve heard CC follow this kind of approach! They seemed to have recruited a lot of people they know already! Wouldn’t this be a bit bias though? As I’m sure other students who haven’t had the chance to meet them are exceptionally good or even a bit better as a future trainee. But this is just a subjective opinion.

How is turning people down bias?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What do you mean by different recruitment processes, if you don't mind me asking?

There’s typically no recruitment process for a careers event.

for open days, the recruitment process is rarely as thorough/doesn’t have as many steps. For instance, one firm I worked for the open day was just a cover letter and CV, but the normal recruitment process was an online application, online test, assessment centre.

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Yeah. There were a few things I could’ve done better on the app in hindsight. This was earlier on in the law journey and I don’t think I’d quite nailed the why law, plus my extra curriculars were all worky things. I also applied the day before the deadline, which may not have helped.

But my point was to point out that even getting great feedback on an open day doesn’t mean you’ll waltz through the process.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I've got a question about re-applying. Will the recruiters review your previous applications to compare them with your current ones, knowing that you re-apply for VS/TC?

depends how long since your last application. If within 12 months, then more likely. If over 12 months, then there’s a possibility that you data would have been wiped (that’s best practice anyway).

also depends on your application though - it’s is clearly good enough/not good enough, they are likely to make a decision anyway.

Eva

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Mar 24, 2018
depends how long since your last application. If within 12 months, then more likely. If over 12 months, then there’s a possibility that you data would have been wiped (that’s best practice anyway).

also depends on your application though - it’s is clearly good enough/not good enough, they are likely to make a decision anyway.

Thanks for the clarification!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a question about grade requirements, would it be worth it to apply for the bigger firms with a distinction grade on my masters course but only having a 2:2 with some mitigating circumstances at undergraduate?

If you have mitigating circumstances, you shouldn’t restrict yourself from applying to any firm.

iamJW

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
After receiving a lot of rejections this cycle, I am now looking ahead and preparing to apply for direct TCs. My first question to you is, as a second/third year student with no vac scheme experience, is it likely that my application will be disregarded/unsuccessful?

Secondly, how can I make my application play to my strengths (if that makes sense) despite the lack of experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
After receiving a lot of rejections this cycle, I am now looking ahead and preparing to apply for direct TCs. My first question to you is, as a second/third year student with no vac scheme experience, is it likely that my application will be disregarded/unsuccessful?

Secondly, how can I make my application play to my strengths (if that makes sense) despite the lack of experience?

It depends on the strength(s) of the rest of your application. Do you have other legal work experience or things like open days? Do you think you have a really strong answer to why commercial law/why the firm?

You will need to make sure your applications is exceptionally well written and also persuasive in terms of the motivational parts. Highlight transferable skills in other work experience. Make sure you show diversity/a range of experiences elsewhere.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
I was at an event and someone I spoke to offered to look over my application. The main thing she highlighted is that I have one 49 in a psychology module from my first year, everything else is economics (my degree subject) and they’re all a mix of firsts and 2.1s. I also have A*A*A at A level but she suggested that my one bad mark could be why Im being rejected? Just wondering if I could get a second opinion on this. Thanks

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
I was at an event and someone I spoke to offered to look over my application. The main thing she highlighted is that I have one 49 in a psychology module from my first year, everything else is economics (my degree subject) and they’re all a mix of firsts and 2.1s. I also have A*A*A at A level but she suggested that my one bad mark could be why Im being rejected? Just wondering if I could get a second opinion on this. Thanks

I’m not Jessica but wanted to help by saying that this shouldn’t be a problem for *most* law firms. As long as you have AAB or whatever the requirement is (which you have) and are on track for a 2:1 (which you are) then it’s fine. What matters now is your extra curricular, work experience, how you answer the application questions and your ability to use your experience to sell yourself.

Feel free to PM me as I actually have quite similar grades to you and thought that my 2:2 in contract law prevented me from interviews. Having now improved my applications and attended interviews, I’ve had recruiters praise me for my grades because they are strong (like yours) except in that one module which is clearly an anomaly! Grades are just one aspect, but there is so much more that firms look at!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

no, your not going to get rejected because of one bad mark.

Applications typically work on a strike basis - one module, is just one strike (you’re not out yet).

All applicants have at least one (if not more) strikes on their application. You just need to ensure there is not some lazy/unnecessary strikes elsewhere.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
I’m not Jessica but wanted to help by saying that this shouldn’t be a problem for *most* law firms. As long as you have AAB or whatever the requirement is (which you have) and are on track for a 2:1 (which you are) then it’s fine. What matters now is your extra curricular, work experience, how you answer the application questions and your ability to use your experience to sell yourself.

Feel free to PM me as I actually have quite similar grades to you and thought that my 2:2 in contract law prevented me from interviews. Having now improved my applications and attended interviews, I’ve had recruiters praise me for my grades because they are strong (like yours) except in that one module which is clearly an anomaly! Grades are just one aspect, but there is so much more that firms look at!
Thanks! I just didn’t think it would matter and then someone told me they thought it looked really bad so was panicking

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019

Applications typically work on a strike basis - one module, is just one strike (you’re not out yet).

All applicants have at least one (if not more) strikes on their application. You just need to ensure there is not some lazy/unnecessary strikes elsewhere.
Thank you! This is what I was hoping, I can improve my written answers etc but I can’t go back and change that mark so that is a relief :)

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019

Hi Jessica,

What do graduate recruitment consider as strikes? Like spelling, grammar errors in the application? or just grades? I’ve spotted a couple errors in one of my applications would that be a immediate rejection.. but I haven’t heard back yet!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

What do graduate recruitment consider as strikes? Like spelling, grammar errors in the application? or just grades? I’ve spotted a couple errors in one of my applications would that be a immediate rejection.. but I haven’t heard back yet!

Pretty much anything lacking can be a strike.

It might be - depends on the nature of the errors. Wrong firm name is a bigger “strike” than writing the wrong practice/practise.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Holly and JayB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.