Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Posted about this before. Unfortunately no one size fits all approach to this - different firms will operate different policies/approaches about the timeframes you could be given. Some will give you a lot less than a month to consider the offer.

However, you approach should be as follows:

1) Ask for an extension of the offer - particularly given current circumstances, I expect firms may be more flexible this year
2) If they say no, make a decision to either:
1) accept and withdraw from your vac scheme
2) accept and continue with your vac scheme (check your T&Cs of both offers though to ensure this is ok)
3) decline the offer and continue with your vac scheme
Law firms will hate me saying this, but there is very little stopping you from accepting a job and then reneging at a later stage. Just don't do it if you have received financial support from the firm. At worst the risk is that you won't be able to apply to them again in the near future (e.g. upon qualification) but even then that risk is actually pretty low.

Reneging isn't great - but plenty of graduates do it each year. Plenty of people in other forms of jobs do it. Just one of the negative things of recruitment.

This is super helpful! thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are your views on whether or not I should apply to firms which don't have minimum A-levels requirement but they use a contexualised system ( I think that was what the Grad rec told me), I definitely do not have 2 As and a B, I have an A+ (highest grade achievable ) and 2 Cs. @Jessica Booker

contextualised recruitment systems only really work for students educated in the U.K.

If they don’t have a minimum A-level requirement than you should apply, whether they have a contextualised recruitment process or not.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica! If I have upcoming vacation schemes, where should I indicate them on an app form? Work experience? (and if so, what should I add in the description for 150 words?)

Thank you so much! :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica! If I have upcoming vacation schemes, where should I indicate them on an app form? Work experience? (and if so, what should I add in the description for 150 words?)

Thank you so much! :D

Work experience section. If that is limited and you have lots of work experience, then put it in your “extra info” section.

You don’t write 150 words for something like this.

At most you say which department(s) you will be sitting in, if you know that.

If it is a very different type of firm you could state why you are choosing to do something very different to the firm you are applying to (but by that I mean a sentence or two tops), but you’ll need to tread carefully and make sense it doesn’t compromise your reasons for why the firm you are applying to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, just curious as to how firms will go about grades when many first and second year grades will now be Pass/Fail for this year?

they will just look at your earlier/later grades if that is the case. It’s just the largest group of extenuating circumstances, and so will be treated as such.

If you feels this puts you at a disadvantage, then get an academic reference from one of your tutors on university headed paper and attach that to applications/explain you have it in the extra info section.

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are well.

I have recently received a summer vacation scheme but am also thinking about applying to a couple of training contracts. I am not sure whether to put a future scheme on training contract applications even if I have not completed it yet?

I was also wondering whether you had any thoughts about ULaw's ‘MA Law’ alternative to the GDL. I want to do a law conversion but do not have enough money and with this new programme I can get a student loan. Only I do not know if it will be regarded as highly by recruiters etc.?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are well.

I have recently received a summer vacation scheme but am also thinking about applying to a couple of training contracts. I am not sure whether to put a future scheme on training contract applications even if I have not completed it yet?

I was also wondering whether you had any thoughts about ULaw's ‘MA Law’ alternative to the GDL. I want to do a law conversion but do not have enough money and with this new programme I can get a student loan. Only I do not know if it will be regarded as highly by recruiters etc.?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

yes include it - you just put little to no detail in the description (at best you can say the departments you will sit in if you know it).

There is no difference between the GDL and the MA for recruiters. They know all it is is the GDL with an additional extended module to make it eligible for student finance. It’s a marketing ploy by the likes of UoL and BPP - it has no benefit apart from the student finance.

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
    yes include it - you just put little to no detail in the description (at best you can say the departments you will sit in if you know it).

There is no difference between the GDL and the MA for recruiters. They know all it is is the GDL with an additional extended module to make it eligible for student finance. It’s a marketing ploy by the likes of UoL and BPP - it has no benefit apart from the student finance.
    Thank you so much, that is really helpful!!!

cameron a

Apr 15, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I’ve had a close look at your website resources, and am considering paying for additional review services you offer.

Need some clarity on my candidacy as an applicant though-

- 30-year old

- undergrad in business/accounting

- MSc in Finance

- ACCA qualified

- *minimal law knowledge*

Should I even be looking at vacation schemes or training contracts? I’m at the stage of also applying for the GDL, but should I wait until I hear about whether I get a contract which would allow for my tuition to be covered, or continue on with the GDL application?

This is all new to me, coming from a finance background, but I assume I’ll be narrowing my search to a 2022 or 2023 contract if I’ve got to finish my GDL first?

Many thanks,

Cameron

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I’ve had a close look at your website resources, and am considering paying for additional review services you offer.

Need some clarity on my candidacy as an applicant though-

- 30-year old

- undergrad in business/accounting

- MSc in Finance

- ACCA qualified

- *minimal law knowledge*

Should I even be looking at vacation schemes or training contracts? I’m at the stage of also applying for the GDL, but should I wait until I hear about whether I get a contract which would allow for my tuition to be covered, or continue on with the GDL application?

This is all new to me, coming from a finance background, but I assume I’ll be narrowing my search to a 2022 or 2023 contract if I’ve got to finish my GDL first?

Many thanks,

Cameron

you will be a bit late for summer vacation schemes now - most firms have closed applications already.

if we weren’t in lock down, I’d recommend open days and careers events. You may want to see if you can do any of the virtual internships/events instead.

You may need to self fund the GDL as you are a little late in the game unfortunately. Normally you would need to look to apply in the winter for vacation schemes/TCs.

This year will be the last year of the GDL too - normally I would advise against signing up to the GDL until you have built up more knowledge/experience, but given the time constraints, you may need to jump in.

Otherwise you just could wait for the SQE to come in next year.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cameron a and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I'm attending my first vacation scheme in June. I'm wondering what type of work I could expect to receive on a vac scheme and if there's any way you would recommend preparing for potential tasks?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I'm attending my first vacation scheme in June. I'm wondering what type of work I could expect to receive on a vac scheme and if there's any way you would recommend preparing for potential tasks?

Thanks!

Very difficult to say what you will specifically be doing. This will depend on so many factors - it’s likely to be “diluted” or simple trainee tasks though.

I don’t think there are things you can do to prepare for tasks before your scheme but there is plenty you can do during your scheme:

take clear notes on what is expected

Don’t be afraid to ask questions to get clarity of the task (how long it should take, deadlines, layouts, formats, processes etc). A lot to vac scheme candidates go wrong by not asking enough questions or the right ones.

make sure you don’t burn the candle at both ends too much. You will be learning and working - that’s a tough combination that needs a lot of focus.

Eat well and keep hydrated - keeping your energy levels up will be important

if you are ever unsure, ask a trainee for their views/advice

• ℹ️
    Reactions: v123 and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.