Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've paid for my Tier 4 student visa as I studied the LPC this year, and am underway with the Tier 2 application process.

Just read through my offer letter and there is no indication of anything regarding visa costs, and the only conditions stipulated are those on my part relating to my studies. The firm has simply told me that I will be responsible for submitting the form and booking the appointment, so I guess I'll just have to pick up the costs.

Thank you so much anyway for your advice!

I would ask them to confirm anyway. Just mention as it isn't referenced in the offer letter you want to be sure of what you will need to cover and what they will so you can arrange your finances accordingly. They won't mind you asking and its a completely legitimate question.

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

This might be obvious but just checking, an application question (on the part where they ask why law etc) asks:
Please give details of any plans you have for a gap year and why do you propose to take one (if at all)?

Do I just write I have no plans to take a gap year? Never seen this in an application before

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

This might be obvious but just checking, an application question (on the part where they ask why law etc) asks:
Please give details of any plans you have for a gap year and why do you propose to take one (if at all)?

Do I just write I have no plans to take a gap year? Never seen this in an application before

yes - if you have no plans just state that you wouldn’t be looking to take a gap year (assuming you wouldn’t have any time out from studies before starting a TC).

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I wanted to ask how LLMs are perceived during Training Contract applications? I get the impression that law firms are not interested in the LLM, but I am really interested in doing one. Could this negatively affect me in any way?

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I wanted to ask how LLMs are perceived during Training Contract applications? I get the impression that law firms are not interested in the LLM, but I am really interested in doing one. Could this negatively affect me in any way?

Thanks.

it won’t negatively effect an application. It is just that for many firms it doesn’t bring an advantage by having one. There are some exceptions, particularly niche firms who may want more specific knowledge in something like shipping or IP, but for the vast majority a LLM doesn’t automatically bring something to your application, particularly if your application is lacking in evidence from the time doing your undergraduate.

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
it won’t negatively effect an application. It is just that for many firms it doesn’t bring an advantage by having one. There are some exceptions, particularly niche firms who may want more specific knowledge in something like shipping or IP, but for the vast majority a LLM doesn’t automatically bring something to your application, particularly if your application is lacking in evidence from the time doing your undergraduate.

Okay, thank you!

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica,

For a question such as ‘what skills do you think contribute to the success of a lawyer’, should I also mention how I have demonstrated these skills? Or should I just mentions what the skills are and why they are needed?

Thanks for the help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

For a question such as ‘what skills do you think contribute to the success of a lawyer’, should I also mention how I have demonstrated these skills? Or should I just mentions what the skills are and why they are needed?

Thanks for the help!

would there be any repetition with other questions if you did describe how you have developed those skills?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The following question is ‘why are your skills/attribute suited to a career at the firm?’

then I’d be careful to not have repetition. Even if the second question didn’t exist, I don’t think heavy descriptions of how you developed the skill would be necessary, especially if there is a word count limit to the answer. At best maybe a round up sentence explaining how you have developed those skills would be sufficient. If it was necessary to provide this detail, the question would be worded differently.

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
then I’d be careful to not have repetition. Even if the second question didn’t exist, I don’t think heavy descriptions of how you developed the skill would be necessary, especially if there is a word count limit to the answer. At best maybe a round up sentence explaining how you have developed those skills would be sufficient. If it was necessary to provide this detail, the question would be worded differently.
Ok, thank you for your help!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I am currently applying for a tc and they asked me to send my CV. When it comes to TC apps is better a skills based or a tasks based CV?

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am currently applying for a tc and they asked me to send my CV. When it comes to TC apps is better a skills based or a tasks based CV?

Thank you

Task/responsibilities/outcomes CV rather than skills, in my opinion anyway. Skills CVs often get muddled where you are grouping activities together and it is more difficult to understand what you did, when.

Skills can generally be inferred from a CV but if there is anything out of the ordinary or you think that needs explaining in terms of skills, you can always put a short section towards the end of your CV with this detail in.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have a virtual AC on Wednesday. I have emailed to confirm my participation but have not received the MS Teams meeting info yet. When would you suggest chasing this?

Lunchtime tomorrow. Generally it seems links aren’t sent to fairly close to the time to ensure everyone who can attend gets the link, and no one who doesn’t attend can’t access the platform.

Reactions: Jenna

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica I was recently invited to a video interview and was wondering whether it is fine to have notes already present (examples for different competency questions) or should we prepare on the spot?

Thanks in advance :)

If the video interview live - e.g. with an interviewer with you, or is it pre-recorded questions?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.