Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you so much! Yes I was thinking "fluent" would be the appropriate choice. You wouldn't suppose "colloquial" might be similar to "native"? Might be me overthinking it but isn't colloquial some sort like, so fluent till it becomes informal? o_O

either way, I think fluent is the safest choice.
    Fluent is definitely above colloquial. Colloquial in this case means that you could get by if you went to a restaurant or shop but not much else

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
    Hi Jessica,
    I am currently doing an application that asks for extra-curriculars/positions of responsibility, why the firm, and then why you believe that you stand out. It then has an additional box that says 'Please set out any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application.' (250 words). Do I need to fill this in? I feel like it would be potentially pointless as there is nothing I can say that I haven't already covered and I don't want to waffle, but it seems odd to leave it blank. Do you have any advice on things that can go in here/whether this is important?

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    I am currently doing an application that asks for extra-curriculars/positions of responsibility, why the firm, and then why you believe that you stand out. It then has an additional box that says 'Please set out any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application.' (250 words). Do I need to fill this in? I feel like it would be potentially pointless as there is nothing I can say that I haven't already covered and I don't want to waffle, but it seems odd to leave it blank. Do you have any advice on things that can go in here/whether this is important?

I’m sure others will agree, definitely do write something here! Perhaps stress a little bit more why the firm, why you would be a good match and maybe a little bit more about yourself. Since the application form is often the hardest bit to overcome, I would take every opportunity they give you at this stage to convince them to pick you. Of course don’t just waffle as being succinct and clear is equally important.

edit: shocked but not surprised that I’m not qualified to answer questions directed to an experienced recruiter so ignore me : - )

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I’m sure others will agree, definitely do write something here! Perhaps stress a little bit more why the firm, why you would be a good match and maybe a little bit more about yourself. Since the application form is often the hardest bit to overcome, I would take every opportunity they give you at this stage to convince them to pick you. Of course don’t just waffle as being succinct and clear is equally important.
    That box is normally left for students to explain any mitigating circumstances and/or add any further ECs they have that can strengthen them as a candidate in my experience

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    That box is normally left for students to explain any mitigating circumstances and/or add any further ECs they have that can strengthen them as a candidate in my experience

Oh sorry yeah that too! Interesting, I’ve always included extra stuff I didn’t fully get to write about in other questions. For instance, if there’s a question that includes both why the firm and why commercial law, I would write more about why them in this box.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Oh sorry yeah that too! Interesting, I’ve always included extra stuff I didn’t fully get to write about in other questions.
    Nothing wrong with that approach and I've tended to follow suit tbh! I'd only put mitigating circumstances in there if there wasn't another space on the form if that makes sense

Reactions: jan28

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

No need to complete it - it is just there for candidates to provide information that doesn’t fit into other questions (like extenuating circumstances or explaining grading systems).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

My advice is the complete opposite. Don’t force yourself to write things in this section - it isn’t what it is for.

Reactions: gg999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Oh sorry yeah that too! Interesting, I’ve always included extra stuff I didn’t fully get to write about in other questions. For instance, if there’s a question that includes both why the firm and why commercial law, I would write more about why them in this box.

my advice is not to do this.

It isn’t there for you to just use additional word count as you couldn’t fit everything you wanted into a previous section/question. That can actually be pretty irritating and a recruiter will often ignore it because you didn’t fit it within the designated word count.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and gg999

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    My advice is the complete opposite. Don’t force yourself to write things in this section - it isn’t what it is for.

I’ve just read and I’m quite surprised! I always saw it an opportunity to write about things I didn’t fully get to cover in previous questions. Of course not forcing anything but things I genuinely wanted them to know.
    Oops, never too late to learn something new :D

ps: read your edit and (perhaps it was all luck) I haven’t had a problem with the apps I’ve sent that I did this with YET and got me to the following rounds. But upon reflection, I agree with you, especially as there are word counts for a reason.

Last edited:
    • 📥

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What to include in these sections (dependent on the structure of the rest of the form)

- where there are gaps in your CV (eg if you want travelling for more than 5 months)

- explaining grading systems if they are atypical

- extenuating circumstances

- if you have been limited to a certain number of work experience entries, you can briefly list other jobs (just job title and dates)

- if there isn’t an “achievements/awards” section on the form, including that kind of detail (again, just title and dates)

- address any glaring issues with your application

- explain if you need any reasonable adjustments into the recruitment process

- if you cannot attend interviews during certain dates

- if you have any upcoming work experience planned/scheduled

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Barring the implications of incorrect grammar on the application- which I think is rejection because of not having enough attention to detail- What are implications of incorrect grammar in other parts of the process like in the interview or writing exercise, email etc. Are people who aren't natives spared a few mistakes here and there? Is this mistake during interview or writing exercise big enough to cost us the VS or TC? Is it explicitly tested by any firm- I mean spot the errors? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a firm tests your written skills at an interview, then how you draft (not just grammar) will be carefully assessed. If that is not strong enough, it will be enough to say no.

Unfortunately being an international candidate doesn’t give you a pass on this. The reason why written skills are carefully looked at is their absolute importance in the job - it’s practically a non-negotiable.

Plenty of native English speakers will struggle in this regard too though

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    What about a few mistakes in a spoken interview- I mean what if there are no writing tests conducted but the applicant still ends up making a few mistakes in either the emails that he is sending at his VS, or maybe some email that he will send to the Partner before the partner interview- How are these mistakes treated?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What about a few mistakes in a spoken interview- I mean what if there are no writing tests conducted but the applicant still ends up making a few mistakes in either the emails that he is sending at his VS, or maybe some email that he will send to the Partner before the partner interview- How are these mistakes treated?

you wouldn’t send emails to a partner before an interview.

spoken language is also a very important part of the job, so again will be looked at carefully. It is not to say slipping up on occasion is an automatic no, but the same could be said for native English speakers.

The key would be to not make mistakes in emails though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Ma'am, last question- any firm you know which conducts a ' spot the grammatical error' test as part of the AC ?

no....

However, written skills are assessed by the LPC, (and will be assessed by the SQE), so anyone who failed that wouldn’t be able to start a TC...

• ℹ️
    Reactions: gg999 and futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.