Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a few questions if I'm okay to ask:

1. When is "enough" enough? If somebody was approaching 30, is 30, past 30s, is this time to give up the TC search? Do grad rec look unfavourably on someone that hasn't managed to get a TC yet? Perhaps view their inability to secure one suspiciously?

2. If you have already interviewed with a firm before, is it okay to re-apply?

3. I know firms say they do consider candidates with grades that don't strictly match their criteria, but what do they usually look for to make up for that? In terms of experience etc, do you need to show that you are basically already a commercial lawyer? Or have something else unique to you?

Sorry for the mass questions!!

1) I recruited a trainee in their 60s - age is not a deciding factor on “when to give up”. From my perspective (and that won’t be everyone in grad recs view), I’d be suspicious if someone looked to be reapply many years down the line and wasn’t pushing themselves to develop their skill set. The “why should I recruit this person” suspicion is only there is if there is a clear lack of evidence/progression in an applicant.

2) depends on the individual firm’s policy - always check what that is

3) anything that may show case intellectual capability instead usually. That could be with test scores, the way you present evidence on your CV, or the complexity of the things you have done previously.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well :) I submitted a vacation scheme application a few days ago and noted that I had not heard back regarding the outcome of my TC app from the last recruitment cycle (for the same firm). However, I have just heard back and was wondering if I should update this or if the firm probably already knows? Thank you!

heard back on the vs or tc app?

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Last year I opened the application for the spring scheme at Freshfields but never submitted it. Today, I go on to look at the portal as I want to apply for their VS and the spring scheme app is there under "draft submissions"? Does that mean that GR can see that? I believe they use the same system as Clifford Chance where I have applied and for CC my app is saved under "completed submissions". So does that mean they cant see my draft for the Freshfields spring scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Last year I opened the application for the spring scheme at Freshfields but never submitted it. Today, I go on to look at the portal as I want to apply for their VS and the spring scheme app is there under "draft submissions"? Does that mean that GR can see that? I believe they use the same system as Clifford Chance where I have applied and for CC my app is saved under "completed submissions". So does that mean they cant see my draft for the Freshfields spring scheme?

Yes they can see a draft application but never count it as an application and would never review a draft application. They will only count/review applications that are submitted

LS07

Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 23, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker

1) I have submitted an application to Freshfields for a training contract but would like to edit my submission. Will Freshfields read my last submission or only review the initial one?

2) Should I favour a smaller number of long paragraphs or have a few small paragraphs to make it easier for the reader to go my personal statement?

3) They ask that we tell them what we applied for within the personal statement - can I put this at the very end or do I need to put it at the top?

Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

1) I have submitted an application to Freshfields for a training contract but would like to edit my submission. Will Freshfields read my last submission or only review the initial one?

2) Should I favour a smaller number of long paragraphs or have a few small paragraphs to make it easier for the reader to go my personal statement?

3) They ask that we tell them what we applied for within the personal statement - can I put this at the very end or do I need to put it at the top?

Many thanks!

1) they will review whatever is the latest version if you can update a submitted application

2) really depends on what your content is. Paragraphs should be used when you are talking about a new topic. You shouldn’t force paragraphs in and at the same time, you shouldn’t be avoiding them. They will either be needed or they won’t.

3) doesn’t really matter

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker thank you!

This is not for all firms right as not all firms save draft applications?

Depends on the system. If you can log back in and see a draft application, so will the firm. If you have to start from scratch, then the firm won’t be able to see it.

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Depends on the system. If you can log back in and see a draft application, so will the firm. If you have to start from scratch, then the firm won’t be able to see it.

@Jessica Booker

If i withdraw it will Freshfields GR team be able to see that? I don't know why I am worried about it. Is this something that is going to affect my VS application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

If i withdraw it will Freshfields GR team be able to see that? I don't know why I am worried about it. Is this something that is going to affect my VS application?

You can’t withdraw a draft application - you can only withdraw something that is submitted.

They will have thousands of draft applications - it really is nothing to worry about.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well! Wanted to ask you if the options that we choose during the SJT/CAPP tests (for example in the Links and the HSF tests) can be brought up again during later stages? As in, do we have to remember the theme of our responses?
Thank You.

no - a candidate won’t need to remember any detail from them. The firm may choose to go back and look at your results later on it the process though.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
no - a candidate won’t need to remember any detail from them. The firm may choose to go back and look at your results later on it the process though.
Just a follow-up question please, what if responses on the CAPP test are quite contrary to the theme of the In-person interview. I can't think of situations where this could happen but basically, the members of the Grad Rec are unlikely to revisit the CAPP/SJT responses before the interview, correct?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a follow-up question please, what if responses on the CAPP test are quite contrary to the theme of the In-person interview. I can't think of situations where this could happen but basically, the members of the Grad Rec are unlikely to revisit the CAPP/SJT responses before the interview, correct?

It depends if there is a stage between the test and the interview. If there is they could. But the interview and test wouldn’t contradict each other.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi all, just wanted to ask - for the Gowling's Skyrise City Aptitude test, was this part of the personality assessment (with the shapes and patterns at the end)? I am not sure whether they were collectively together.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

When I want to name Freshfields in my personal statement, is it okay to say "Freshfields" or is it better to say the full name of the firm, "Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer"?

Freshfields is fine - the firm themselves use this - just look at their graduate website

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
Hello Jessica. I was recently invited to an AC but the time is set at around 3am in my time zone as I am currently studying remotely. Would it be worth informing the firm about this? I don’t know if there is anything the firm can do to accommodate my situation, but I do worry I won’t be able to perform to the best of my ability under this condition (although I do acknowledge solicitors often need to work at obscure hours so this is not an excuse). Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica. I was recently invited to an AC but the time is set at around 3am in my time zone as I am currently studying remotely. Would it be worth informing the firm about this? I don’t know if there is anything the firm can do to accommodate my situation, but I do worry I won’t be able to perform to the best of my ability under this condition (although I do acknowledge solicitors often need to work at obscure hours so this is not an excuse). Thank you.

is it a full day? If so, unfortunately you will have to just do it at the time required. If it’s not a full day, ask to see if the time can be changed so it is at a different time of day. If it’s only half a day or less, they probably have other sessions that run earlier/later.

Reactions: TChopeful2021

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.