Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

PF'noooo!

Star Member
Jan 19, 2021
Hi Jessica,
Hope you are well.
Do you know if its common for law firms to lose/misplace an application.

I sent in an application in advance of the deadline to Eversheds and received a generated response via email that I would hear a response within 3 weeks.
Since then I haven't heard anything and the 3 week period has expired last week. I am aware that others have received rejections, invitations to VIs and subsequently invitations for ACs.

I have asked the firm about my application status and they said they would send all comms relating to applications by the end of this week. They alluded to the fact that most have already been sent. I have checked my spam and junk and still nothing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
Hope you are well.
Do you know if its common for law firms to lose/misplace an application.

I sent in an application in advance of the deadline to Eversheds and received a generated response via email that I would hear a response within 3 weeks.
Since then I haven't heard anything and the 3 week period has expired last week. I am aware that others have received rejections, invitations to VIs and subsequently invitations for ACs.

I have asked the firm about my application status and they said they would send all comms relating to applications by the end of this week. They alluded to the fact that most have already been sent. I have checked my spam and junk and still nothing.
Not common but it can happen.

I'd recommend contacting them on the 5th or 8th Feb if you havent heard anything - I don't think they have lost your application though, they are probably just behind schedule.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi Jessica, thanks again for your help on the forum. I was hoping you could clarify which of the below sentences is correct, in terms of capitalisation?

1) As Treasurer of the netball team
2) As treasurer of the netball team

and

3) The firm’s Cybersecurity and Data practice
4) The firm’s cybersecurity and data practice

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, thanks again for your help on the forum. I was hoping you could clarify which of the below sentences is correct, in terms of capitalisation?

1) As Treasurer of the netball team
2) As treasurer of the netball team

and

3) The firm’s Cybersecurity and Data practice
4) The firm’s cybersecurity and data practice

Thank you!
Technically all lower case for both, but look at how the firm writes the name in the body of text (not in headings).

An application isn’t going to be unsuccessful by capitalising these type of words though.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Technically all lower case for both, but look at how the firm writes the name in the body of text (not in headings).

An application isn’t going to be unsuccessful by capitalising these type of words though.
Thank you 😊 I was unsure because I previously thought all lower case, but I noticed the firm used both lower case and capitals in the body of text when referring to their practice areas. I’ll keep it lower case just to remain consistent.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you 😊 I was unsure because I previously thought all lower case, but I noticed the firm used both lower case and capitals in the body of text when referring to their practice areas. I’ll keep it lower case just to remain consistent.
Shows you it won't really matter either way!

Reactions: Holly

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
Hi Jessica, I am working on an application for SA. Their questions are:

Why does a career in a city law firm interest you? (250)
Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you? (250)
In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer? (250)

Given that they don't have a 'why us', should I try to incorporate references to the firm in each of the questions or just answer the questions as they are?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I am working on an application for SA. Their questions are:

Why does a career in a city law firm interest you? (250)
Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you? (250)
In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer? (250)

Given that they don't have a 'why us', should I try to incorporate references to the firm in each of the questions or just answer the questions as they are?
I would just answer the question as it is. It could be that the firm doesn't want to an "why us" answer. Could easily be explored in later stages of the recruitment process and maybe they feel asking that question doesn't really help them get any useful substance/help them select the best candidates.

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Azcxnnna

Jan 29, 2021
Hi Jessica,

When a firm is selecting candidates after the AC stage, will application forms or test scores still be taken in to account or is it all down to the day? Is the partner case study generally weighted more heavily or do competency interviews / group exercise / document checking all have equal importance? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

When a firm is selecting candidates after the AC stage, will application forms or test scores still be taken in to account or is it all down to the day? Is the partner case study generally weighted more heavily or do competency interviews / group exercise / document checking all have equal importance? Thank you!
Yes - it is possible for earlier parts of the process to still be considered.

Weighting won’t necessarily be by exercise. It could be by competency/strengths across exercises. But it will vary by firm by firm so is impossible to say where that weighting will be, or if there is any weighting at all.

Reactions: Azcxnnna

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi Jessica

For the following application question:

What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chairperson of Ropes & Gray

I understand I should state my proposals, briefly explain how it would work and why it would be important. Is it worth adding a brief line or two mentioning that I introduced a similar initiative at uni/in the workplace and it also had X benefits. Or would this be diverging from the question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

For the following application question:

What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chairperson of Ropes & Gray

I understand I should state my proposals, briefly explain how it would work and why it would be important. Is it worth adding a brief line or two mentioning that I introduced a similar initiative at uni/in the workplace and it also had X benefits. Or would this be diverging from the question?
I think my only concern with this approach would be that it could come across like are not coming up with new ideas specific to the firm, you are just applying ideas you have implemented elsewhere.

It may work (it’s really going to depend on the ideas and whether they practically apply to the firm too), but I guess I wouldn’t recommend putting in detail like this in, especially if it’s at a cost of fully explaining your rationale for your ideas.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
I think my only concern with this approach would be that it could come across like are not coming up with new ideas specific to the firm, you are just applying ideas you have implemented elsewhere.

It may work (it’s really going to depend on the ideas and whether they practically apply to the firm too), but I guess I wouldn’t recommend putting in detail like this in, especially if it’s at a cost of fully explaining your rationale for your ideas.

That’s really helpful, thank you so much :)

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 15, 2021
Hi Jessica - I'm trying to answer the question "Why do you want become a solicitor and what attributes do you believe you need to excel in this field?" with regards to the second part, is it just asking for what are the attributes I believe solicitors need generally, or what attributes I believe I personally need? If it's the first one should I also be showing how I demonstrate those attributes? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - I'm trying to answer the question "Why do you want become a solicitor and what attributes do you believe you need to excel in this field?" with regards to the second part, is it just asking for what are the attributes I believe solicitors need generally, or what attributes I believe I personally need? If it's the first one should I also be showing how I demonstrate those attributes? Thanks!

I would take it as "you" but obviously the two are going to be somewhat interchangable.

Lohana

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
Hi Jessica,

When a firm asks

"Is there anything else relevant to your application which you feel we ought to know when considering your application?" (500 words)

Is Grad Recruitment looking for something for candidates to write without making it seem like you have to. I just don't want to leave it out if the firm is actually looking for candidates who do fill out the section

Many thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.