Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm in a bit of a difficult position at the moment - I'm currently living at home (outside of the UK) where I completed the final year of my degree, and will be moving back to the UK in September.
I'm currently drafting an application for a TC at a mid-size/small-ish firm, and I do not know which address to put on my cover letter and CV.

Essentially, I don't want the fact that I'm currently living abroad to put them off hiring me, as I've had interviewers ask me about whether I would like to return to my home country later / not hire me as I wasn't moving back 'soon enough' in the past.
At the same time, I don't know whether putting my future address down would be a great idea either (especially if I am called in for an in-person interview prior to my moving back date and have to explain that I'm not currently in the UK).

Should I mention this in my application email?
Stating that although I am currently based in X country, I will be moving back in September and would be able to travel to the UK specifically for an interview prior to this date, if required.

Thank you.
If you have an address in the UK, just use that. September is only a matter of weeks away, so you’re likely to be back in the UK by the time you got an invite to interview anyway. And if not, lots of people will be out of the UK or unable to travel for in person interviews anyway, so I don’t think it would be an issue for you to say you aren’t in the UK.

ChuPnl

Star Member
Forum Winner
Feb 9, 2021
If you have an address in the UK, just use that. September is only a matter of weeks away, so you’re likely to be back in the UK by the time you got an invite to interview anyway. And if not, lots of people will be out of the UK or unable to travel for in person interviews anyway, so I don’t think it would be an issue for you to say you aren’t in the UK.
Great, thank you very much!

On another note, I have an upcoming internship at a law firm that would be relevant to my TC application - could I mention it in my cover letter?
For example, saying how I'm interested in a type of law the firm I'm applying to does, and that I will be completing an internship at X to gain relevant experience in that field?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Great, thank you very much!

On another note, I have an upcoming internship at a law firm that would be relevant to my TC application - could I mention it in my cover letter?
For example, saying how I'm interested in a type of law the firm I'm applying to does, and that I will be completing an internship at X to gain relevant experience in that field?
Yes - you can include it either in a cover letter or work experience section on the application/CV.

• 🤝
Reactions: ChuPnl

2020Applicant

Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are doing well. I would really appreciate if you had the time to answer a question for me please.

My question is about reasonable adjustments in law firms and your experience with them (if applicable), specifically for those with mental health conditions (of a severity that is covered by the Equality Act).

I was wondering what the typical adjustments that can be made are and whether working from home or working from a quiet room in the office is something that is available. I am aware that things vary by firms and individual needs but I was just hoping to gain a general perspective if you wouldn't mind providing some insight.
Hi @Jessica Booker, would you be able to give any advice on this question please. No worries if you aren't able to :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, would you be able to give any advice on this question please. No worries if you aren't able to :)
The firm will need advice/guidance from you as to what adjustments you will require. It isn’t up to them to determine them, just to determine whether they can implement them where they are deemed reasonable (or not).

Reasonable adjustments are very much dependent on individual circumstances and requirements so it would be wrong for me to say what a general approach is (as there shouldn’t be one).

2020Applicant

Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
The firm will need advice/guidance from you as to what adjustments you will require. It isn’t up to them to determine them, just to determine whether they can implement them where they are deemed reasonable (or not).

Reasonable adjustments are very much dependent on individual circumstances and requirements so it would be wrong for me to say what a general approach is (as there shouldn’t be one).
Okay great, thank you.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
We do have an application database for our paid subscribers that would show previous years questions.

I don’t think there would be anywhere else that would hold this information, but you could start a thread asking others to provide their previous app questions or you could email the firm directly to ask whether they could confirm the questions they will be using (they might not provide this though).
Thanks, Jessica!

I have got a thread going here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/law-firm-application-questions.4116/

m2001

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 24, 2021
I understand this will differ firm-to-firm, but generally speaking will top corporate firms reject a candidate for VS that achieved a 2:2 in a module in first-year? I achieved a high 2:1 overall, however, only gained a 58 in my criminal law module. Will this really impact my applications for VS?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I understand this will differ firm-to-firm, but generally speaking will top corporate firms reject a candidate for VS that achieved a 2:2 in a module in first-year? I achieved a high 2:1 overall, however, only gained a 58 in my criminal law module. Will this really impact my applications for VS?
No - generally speaking most candidates will still be considered based on that information alone.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. Could you please share tips on how to approach the "Do, defer, delegate" task that is assessed at Linklaters. Just like the CAPP, even this feels impossible to prepare for. Any general tips while approaching this?

Thanks in advance.
I need a bit more context to really understand this. Can you explain the assessment a little more to me?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I need a bit more context to really understand this. Can you explain the assessment a little more to me?
There isn't much about the task on the forum but, basically, candidates will be given situations (and will be asked to assume the role of a trainee/lawyer) to which they can either respond by "doing", "deferring", or "deleting" the task.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There isn't much about the task on the forum but, basically, candidates will be given situations (and will be asked to assume the role of a trainee/lawyer) to which they can either respond by "doing", "deferring", or "deleting" the task.

Thanks.
Most of this will be common sense more than anything but you should keep in mind:

- keeping in mind the client will be the priority

- that you won’t be expected to be an expert as a trainee - you’ll have to understand your limitations in terms of responsibilities

- that you can delegate upwards as well as downwards

- that you can’t do everything

- that ensuring you do things to a high standard rather than just churning out things quickly.

- Working longer hours isn’t always the answer

You should also look at how the firm describes how they like to work - some are more collaborative than others which will influence how they might view these answers.

• 🏆
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    So I applied for both the 2022 and 2023 intakes for the TC I've just been offered and the firm has offered me a 2023 start. I plan to accept the offer today, but because I have completed the LPC already I'm not sure I'm keen to start my TC in two years when I'm ready to go asap and it seems that they may have spaces available since they are filling both intakes at the same time.

Grad rec have said they would 'make a note of' my interest in starting sooner but I get the feeling that they might not be serious. Is there anything I should be doing? How can I show them I'm keen to start earlier?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So I applied for both the 2022 and 2023 intakes for the TC I've just been offered and the firm has offered me a 2023 start. I plan to accept the offer today, but because I have completed the LPC already I'm not sure I'm keen to start my TC in two years when I'm ready to go asap and it seems that they may have spaces available since they are filling both intakes at the same time.

Grad rec have said they would 'make a note of' my interest in starting sooner but I get the feeling that they might not be serious. Is there anything I should be doing? How can I show them I'm keen to start earlier?
    They are serious - they just probably haven’t got 2022 intakes to currently offer you. That might change if people decline offers/defer or if the firm increases their intake numbers.

When you have accepted, reiterate you are keen to start earlier and that you’d be grateful to be put on any waiting list for the earlier intake.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    They are serious - they just probably haven’t got 2022 intakes to currently offer you. That might change if people decline offers/defer or if the firm increases their intake numbers.

When you have accepted, reiterate you are keen to start earlier and that you’d be grateful to be put on any waiting list for the earlier intake.

This is exactly what I thought!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is exactly what I thought!
    It’s not that they aren’t taking it seriously if that’s the case. It’s just they can’t offer you a 2022 intake now - they might be able to in the future if things change, but you have to accept that you may not start until 2023.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. What are the chances that Freshfields, Links or CC can change their direct TC app this year. I mean I know I'm only going to apply to these three, so is there something that I can do prior to applications opening? Is it a good idea to start writing Freshfields' personal statement/CC's question on achievements and positions of responsibility or at least descriptions of work experiences(which I guess are going to be the same for every firm)?

Also, I think @Dheepa had answered a similar question on how to prepare in advance. Could you please give me your inputs, that'd be really great? Are there more ways of preparing for apps in advance? Or is it a foolish stratergy?

Thanks, guys.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.