Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. What are the chances that Freshfields, Links or CC can change their direct TC app this year. I mean I know I'm only going to apply to these three, so is there something that I can do prior to applications opening? Is it a good idea to start writing Freshfields' personal statement/CC's question on achievements and positions of responsibility or at least descriptions of work experiences(which I guess are going to be the same for every firm)?

Also, I think @Dheepa had answered a similar question on how to prepare in advance. Could you please give me your inputs, that'd be really great? Are there more ways of preparing for apps in advance? Or is it a foolish stratergy?

Thanks, guys.
I don’t think it’s a foolish strategy but you just take the risk that they do change their application format. It could happen but determining the chances of it happening are near on impossible unless you have a direct contact to the grad rec team/grad rec partner.

Preparing work experience sections alone though is probably a good move I know people who have them in different format lengths too so they are ready to go for different application types.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

quil1887

Aug 2, 2021
Hi - I’ve been offered a TC at Firm A, and I’m really keen to work for them. I have one outstanding application at Firm B, where I reached the final stage - it didn’t go very well, I expect it will be a no. However I would like to hear the outcome of Firm B before accepting the TC offer for a firm A, just so I have all the information. I have chased Firm B’s grad rec but it’s looking pretty slow, and I have until Wednesday to sign the contract for Firm A. I would like to look keen and sign for Firm A before the absolute deadline - how much longer should I give Firm B? Should I just forget about them? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi - I’ve been offered a TC at Firm A, and I’m really keen to work for them. I have one outstanding application at Firm B, where I reached the final stage - it didn’t go very well, I expect it will be a no. However I would like to hear the outcome of Firm B before accepting the TC offer for a firm A, just so I have all the information. I have chased Firm B’s grad rec but it’s looking pretty slow, and I have until Wednesday to sign the contract for Firm A. I would like to look keen and sign for Firm A before the absolute deadline - how much longer should I give Firm B? Should I just forget about them? Thanks!
Did you explain to firm B your deadline?

Reactions: quil1887

quil1887

Aug 2, 2021
Yes - they are aware they have until Wednesday so I imagine they’ll get back tomorrow (fingers crossed!) I was just a bit concerned about not looking keen if I leave signing for Firm A until right at the last minute?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Yes - they are aware they have until Wednesday so I imagine they’ll get back tomorrow (fingers crossed!) I was just a bit concerned about not looking keen if I leave signing for Firm A until right at the last minute?
    I wouldn't worry about looking keen - they'll get the message you're keen when you sign and send back the contract :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Agree with Daniel. I just wouldn’t leave it until late on the day of deadline - I’d do it within working hours.

You can always accept and then renege (should that be appropriate in this situation)

Reactions: quil1887

quil1887

Aug 2, 2021
    a
    Agree with Daniel. I just wouldn’t leave it until late on the day of deadline - I’d do it within working hours.

You can always accept and then renege (should that be appropriate in this situati

You can always accept and then renege (should that be appropriate in this situation)
    That makes sense - thank you both very much for your advice!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Just looking for some reassurance here I suppose--is it normal to get some radio silence after accepting a TC offer? I signed the docusign form I was sent + received an automated confirmation email but haven't heard anything since, and I've emailed grad rec already as I had some questions.

Is it just a case of them now prioritising making their other offers/rejections/feedback to other candidates? I believe I received my offer quite early as I have mates who were in the same AC who haven't heard anything yet.

I just feel almost that since I haven't had some human confirmation that it isn't real, in a way!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just looking for some reassurance here I suppose--is it normal to get some radio silence after accepting a TC offer? I signed the docusign form I was sent + received an automated confirmation email but haven't heard anything since, and I've emailed grad rec already as I had some questions.

Is it just a case of them now prioritising making their other offers/rejections/feedback to other candidates? I believe I received my offer quite early as I have mates who were in the same AC who haven't heard anything yet.

I just feel almost that since I haven't had some human confirmation that it isn't real, in a way!
    Very normal.

The grad rec/development teams are at one of the busiest times of the year with recruitment, preparing for next year’s recruitment cycle, getting ready for all their new marketing campaign, preparing for onboarding their September intake, getting people ready for law school, qualification processes, seat rotations etc.

And also people take leave at this time of year too!

How long have you been waiting for answers on your questions and how important are the questions?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Matt_96

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    Hi I am a bit stuck with the WG! I completed the WG for two firms so far with one being freshfields. Although I messaged to ask for my score from both, I havent gotten a response. I know I did well because of so much practice but the lack of response feels so unsettling. I know others have gotten immediate response from freshfields in regards to their WG score but even though i have done follow ups its really no response. I am very confused. I want these scores for my professional development but there has been nothing. it makes me wonder why?

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the below if that's okay.

I received a TC offer following a VS from Firm A (have to accept by 20th). However, as I was unsure if I would convert, I had also been working on an application for Firm B's direct TC route. I thought I had a good enough app (especially with the VS under my belt) so I submitted my Firm B application before the deadline on 31st July.

I want to reach out to Firm B informing them of my offer and deadline in hopes that they will interview me sooner, but I was wondering if there is a right way/etiquette for this? Secondly, if I do that, do you think Firm B will think I'm unreliable for still applying for a TC when I have an offer already? Finally, if I don't hear back from B before the 20th Aug deadline, can I accept the TC with A and renege later if I get the Firm B TC? I'm sure that'll make me look bad with A but are there clauses in a Training Contract that make you pull out from any ongoing apps once you accept?

Thank you so much in advance - look forward to your response!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Very normal.

The grad rec/development teams are at one of the busiest times of the year with recruitment, preparing for next year’s recruitment cycle, getting ready for all their new marketing campaign, preparing for onboarding their September intake, getting people ready for law school, qualification processes, seat rotations etc.

And also people take leave at this time of year too!

How long have you been waiting for answers on your questions and how important are the questions?

That's a relief. I was mainly inquiring about LPC fees as I am in the process of completing the LPC self-funded and the offer letter says that they can be reimbursed, but will not cover courses already completed. I was wondering whether this meant they would be willing to retrospectively fund the whole course for me, or since I've done the core exams, just the bits that I'm currently sitting now. I also wondered if there was a time limit to this since I am only going to be doing the LPC until November!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi I am a bit stuck with the WG! I completed the WG for two firms so far with one being freshfields. Although I messaged to ask for my score from both, I havent gotten a response. I know I did well because of so much practice but the lack of response feels so unsettling. I know others have gotten immediate response from freshfields in regards to their WG score but even though i have done follow ups its really no response. I am very confused. I want these scores for my professional development but there has been nothing. it makes me wonder why?
    No reason why apart from them missing the email. There is nothing sinister here, just a human mistake. Give them a call and ask for your percentile over the phone.

Reactions: Donuttime

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the below if that's okay.

I received a TC offer following a VS from Firm A (have to accept by 20th). However, as I was unsure if I would convert, I had also been working on an application for Firm B's direct TC route. I thought I had a good enough app (especially with the VS under my belt) so I submitted my Firm B application before the deadline on 31st July.

I want to reach out to Firm B informing them of my offer and deadline in hopes that they will interview me sooner, but I was wondering if there is a right way/etiquette for this? Secondly, if I do that, do you think Firm B will think I'm unreliable for still applying for a TC when I have an offer already? Finally, if I don't hear back from B before the 20th Aug deadline, can I accept the TC with A and renege later if I get the Firm B TC? I'm sure that'll make me look bad with A but are there clauses in a Training Contract that make you pull out from any ongoing apps once you accept?

Thank you so much in advance - look forward to your response!
    Be mindful that even if you ask firm B to make a decision on your application earlier, it may not be the case that they can reach a decision on whether to offer you a TC by 20 August.

A firm won’t think you are “unreliable” though - if anything securing a TC says the opposite.

In terms of etiquette, just email or call firm B and politely ask if there is anyway you could find out the decision on your application as you have received an offer that you need to accept by the end of this month, but that firm B are your preference and so you are keen to find out if your application is proceeding or not.

And yes, you can accept and renege. Just be mindful that if you secure any financial support from firm A (including any onboarding processes for the GDL/LPC/SQE) you are likely to need to pay that back to them.

There can be clauses though - make sure you look carefully at your offer T&Cs as it can be varied from firm to firm.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ilovetheDLR

miso

Jun 4, 2021
    Hi Jessica,

what would be the best way to answer the following questions:

• An hour before a client meeting you find out new information that changes the advice you were going to give. How would you approach this?
    • Your manager has approached you and told you to drop the urgent task you are doing because he has something else you need to work on. What would you do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

what would be the best way to answer the following questions:

• An hour before a client meeting you find out new information that changes the advice you were going to give. How would you approach this?
    • Your manager has approached you and told you to drop the urgent task you are doing because he has something else you need to work on. What would you do?
    In what way are you answering these questions? A test, an application or in an interview?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.