Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

TK123

Jun 30, 2021
HI @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. Apologies for the potentially trivial nature of this, but had a small question. I was invited to a video interview by a MC firm today and am wondering how longish hair on a guy is interpreted by graduate recruitment. I grew it out during lockdown and it is probably a bit short of shoulder length. I can tidy it up but am worried as to how the firm will view this, particularly given that I may be unable to make it to a barber before the interview. I always anticipated having to cut it when commencing a training contract, but was wondering whether this is something that is paid attention to by firms at VI stage. Thanks!

Keren

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well.

I have an assessment day coming up (for a regional firm) and I've been asked to prepare a presentation on a topic of my choice (e.g. any interest/hobby). I am really interested in crypto (for investment and fundamental reasons) - e.g. blockchain technology/the rise of smart contracts etc etc. I have a telegram group dedicated to it. I would therefore like my presentation to be centred around crypto/blockchain technology and their use cases. I just wondered, from your perspective, whether this topic would paint me in a negative light (considering its controversial nature).

Thanks, as always.

Keren

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
HI @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. Apologies for the potentially trivial nature of this, but had a small question. I was invited to a video interview by a MC firm today and am wondering how longish hair on a guy is interpreted by graduate recruitment. I grew it out during lockdown and it is probably a bit short of shoulder length. I can tidy it up but am worried as to how the firm will view this, particularly given that I may be unable to make it to a barber before the interview. I always anticipated having to cut it when commencing a training contract, but was wondering whether this is something that is paid attention to by firms at VI stage. Thanks!
I’d probably just make sure it is tied back in a “just in case” situation. I think firms are more open to these things now, but might as well take the risk adverse option.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well.

I have an assessment day coming up (for a regional firm) and I've been asked to prepare a presentation on a topic of my choice (e.g. any interest/hobby). I am really interested in crypto (for investment and fundamental reasons) - e.g. blockchain technology/the rise of smart contracts etc etc. I have a telegram group dedicated to it. I would therefore like my presentation to be centred around crypto/blockchain technology and their use cases. I just wondered, from your perspective, whether this topic would paint me in a negative light (considering its controversial nature).

Thanks, as always.

Keren
No - don’t think it would be negative at all. I’d just make sure the presentation has some balance to it, or that you anticipate any questions that might challenge your thinking.

Keren

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
No - don’t think it would be negative at all. I’d just make sure the presentation has some balance to it, or that you anticipate any questions that might challenge your thinking.
Fab - thanks Jess. When you say balance, do you mean just a balance between the points I plan on talking about?

I guess it would be okay to do a presentation on crypto and use its benefits/challenges/and implications it has in a wider context as the reasons why I am interested in it? I've never presented before, so I'm not entirely sure a presentation entails. Presume just a brief introduction/summary of the points I want to talk about/body of the presentation/end. Sorry if this sounds obvious...

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. CC is one of the firms that I'm going to apply to and I was looking at their website today and it seems like they've opened their direct TC apps. There is actually no requirement that is given regarding who can apply via the direct TC route and there are direct TC routes for multiple intakes. There is one that's the 2023 intake and the other is the 2024 intake and a number of other routes too. I'm just confused which one is for me. I will graduate in Aug 2022 and I'm currently a final year law student enrolled in a 5 year law degree in India, if that helps. Could you please help?

This is the link to their page.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Fab - thanks Jess. When you say balance, do you mean just a balance between the points I plan on talking about?

I guess it would be okay to do a presentation on crypto and use its benefits/challenges/and implications it has in a wider context as the reasons why I am interested in it? I've never presented before, so I'm not entirely sure a presentation entails. Presume just a brief introduction/summary of the points I want to talk about/body of the presentation/end. Sorry if this sounds obvious...

I meant if you are singing the praises of cryptocurrency, you may just want to ensure there is some balance or you have the ability to really back up your thinking/rationale.

Have you never done presentations at school or at uni?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. CC is one of the firms that I'm going to apply to and I was looking at their website today and it seems like they've opened their direct TC apps. There is actually no requirement that is given regarding who can apply via the direct TC route and there are direct TC routes for multiple intakes. There is one that's the 2023 intake and the other is the 2024 intake and a number of other routes too. I'm just confused which one is for me. I will graduate in Aug 2022 and I'm currently a final year law student enrolled in a 5 year law degree in India, if that helps. Could you please help?

This is the link to their page.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Pretty sure you’d fall into the same category as a final year non law grad (as your degree is not an English law degree) and therefore the 2024 intakes seem the most appropriate. You may want to contact the firm or check their website to understand how they are converting to the SQE though and whether this impact the timeframes.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

K1111

Aug 10, 2021
Hello Jessica! i was wondering if you could help me understand what type of response linklaters would like if they ask "what recent deal were we in and what linklaters areas would be involved and why?"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica! i was wondering if you could help me understand what type of response linklaters would like if they ask "what recent deal were we in and what linklaters areas would be involved and why?"
They are trying to see evidence of your interest in their work. Find a deal that particularly interests you - it maybe because of the practice areas involved, it maybe the sector the client is in, it might be because of the countries/jurisdiction it covers. You don’t necessarily have to go into huge details about the deal itself (as you are only telling the firm what it knows), but they are trying to get you to analyse the detail of the deal and understand which practice areas/departments would be involved.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope this message finds you well.

If I apply for winter vacation schemes and secure more than one - will firms allow me to move a scheme to the summer/spring? I wouldn't want to waste a whole vacation scheme just because of clash of dates.

This brings me on to my second question: what strategy/things are there to consider when applying to winter vs summer schemes. Obviously, there are clear considerations such as some schemes are eligible only for specific candidates. I would like to apply to both but what should my split be?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope this message finds you well.

If I apply for winter vacation schemes and secure more than one - will firms allow me to move a scheme to the summer/spring? I wouldn't want to waste a whole vacation scheme just because of clash of dates.

This brings me on to my second question: what strategy/things are there to consider when applying to winter vs summer schemes. Obviously, there are clear considerations such as some schemes are eligible only for specific candidates. I would like to apply to both but what should my split be?
I don't think there is an answer to what the split should be unfortunately. There's too many variables to consider.

Unfortunately over applying is a risk that all candidates need to consider and factor in to their decision making process. I don't think of unique do winter schemes, it applies to all jobs you apply to.

Although a firm may move you to other opportunities is very much down to them at the time. Many firms won't move candidates do future schemes, mainly where they could fill the schemes just with this process. Other firms are more open to it. You may find that some firms just transfer your application over to a direct TC application too.

But except many firms to just say there not much they can do - ultimately if you are accepting one firms winter scheme over another, then there is a strong chance you’ll probably select that firm for a TC too as clearly you have a preference for that firm. Many firms won't want to bend over backwards for someone if they are clearly not the candidate’s first choice.

Reactions: Dwight

K1111

Aug 10, 2021
Hey Jessica again! when doing an application and the word max is 1000 do you recommend always reaching the word limit or it doesn't matter, because i feel like i have to keep writing to get to the limit

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey Jessica again! when doing an application and the word max is 1000 do you recommend always reaching the word limit or it doesn't matter, because i feel like i have to keep writing to get to the limit
You don't have go reach the word limit. If you write concisely and in a well structured way you could be up to 20% under the word count and it wouldn't be seen as a negative if you covered all the points needed

K1111

Aug 10, 2021
You don't have go reach the word limit. If you write concisely and in a well structured way you could be up to 20% under the word count and it wouldn't be seen as a negative if you covered all the points
Thank you Jessica! just one other question, what do they like to see in questions surrounding how the student will be assist to the firm and why the student would like to work for that firm

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica! just one other question, what do they like to see in questions surrounding how the student will be assist to the firm and why the student would like to work for that firm
The first part is all about selling your individual strengths and what makes you stand out from other applicants.

The motivation is aligning your personal aspirations for your career with what the firm can offer you over other firms.

Keren

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
I meant if you are singing the praises of cryptocurrency, you may just want to ensure there is some balance or you have the ability to really back up your thinking/rationale.

Have you never done presentations at school or at uni?
Ok, thanks @Jessica Booker :). Is there any need to link back the topic to law firms? I ask this as it is solely a topic of choice. Yes, I have. I presume the same sort of structure applies to TC presentations? It’s been so long since I’ve done a presentation…

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ok, thanks @Jessica Booker :). Is there any need to link back the topic to law firms? I ask this as it is solely a topic of choice. Yes, I have. I presume the same sort of structure applies to TC presentations? It’s been so long since I’ve done a presentation…
Not at all. If you have been told any topic, you’ll find the firm has a whole range of topics presented to them - some with absolutely no connection to law at all.

General presentation rules apply - think about your audience and keep them in mind with the content, keep it simple, keep to time, remember your audience will probably only remember so much, so make your key messages/points memorable.

Keren

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Not at all. If you have been told any topic, you’ll find the firm has a whole range of topics presented to them - some with absolutely no connection to law at all.

General presentation rules apply - think about your audience and keep them in mind with the content, keep it simple, keep to time, remember your audience will probably only remember so much, so make your key messages/points memorable.
Thanks Jess!!! Always extremely helpful :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.