Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Luffyx..

Aug 18, 2021
Hi Jessica, I completed a vac scheme last month and some vac schemers in my intake heard back with offers almost two weeks ago. I still haven’t heard back. I emailed GR last Friday but no reply yet. I was wondering what I should to find out the outcome. Thank you very much!

k.k

Apr 29, 2021
Hi Jessica, just wondering how to go about answering this question - "if you have participated in a vacation scheme with another firm or another one of our offices, please state whether or not you received a TC offer following completion of the scheme"
I have done a vac scheme with another firm and didnt convert - should I also mention in the answer what I am doing to improve since that vac scheme? And is there a structure for answering this?
Thank You!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I completed a vac scheme last month and some vac schemers in my intake heard back with offers almost two weeks ago. I still haven’t heard back. I emailed GR last Friday but no reply yet. I was wondering what I should to find out the outcome. Thank you very much!
I’d wait until Monday and call them rather than email.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, just wondering how to go about answering this question - "if you have participated in a vacation scheme with another firm or another one of our offices, please state whether or not you received a TC offer following completion of the scheme"
I have done a vac scheme with another firm and didnt convert - should I also mention in the answer what I am doing to improve since that vac scheme? And is there a structure for answering this?
Thank You!
What’s the word/character limit for the section?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No limit is mentioned however the other q's are all 250
I don’t think you need to explain why you didn’t convert the TC, but it really depends on what your feedback was on why you didn’t covert. If it was more your motivation, then if the firm you are applying to is more aligned to your interests, then you can just say that. If you didn’t covert because of a knowledge or skills gap, then you could say very briefly what you have done to develop that since your scheme.

Reactions: k.k

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I wanted to ask about the opportunity of securing a TC with A&O through the direct TC route in comparison to the vacation scheme route.

From your knowledge and experience of working at A&O, where does the firms recruit mostly from?

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I wanted to ask about the opportunity of securing a TC with A&O through the direct TC route in comparison to the vacation scheme route.

From your knowledge and experience of working at A&O, where does the firms recruit mostly from?

Thank you.
Have answered this question in the other thread. I don’t know what their conversion stats are like now though.

Reactions: Dwight

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker

Should I be trying to match the skills I have gained from work experience exactly to the firm's key competencies? This isn't the work experience section, this is an actual question on the application form asking me about the skills ive gained from work experience, which is why I wasn't sure if I should tailor this part exactly to the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Should I be trying to match the skills I have gained from work experience exactly to the firm's key competencies? This isn't the work experience section, this is an actual question on the application form asking me about the skills ive gained from work experience, which is why I wasn't sure if I should tailor this part exactly to the firm.
Yes, if the question is specifically asking this separate to work experience sections, I would focus your work experience entries on responsibilities and personal impact, and cover skills (or knowledge) in the separate question requesting it, and ensure that is tailored to the firm in question.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker . Hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, how do I demonstrate an interest in Legal tech because other than a "Law and technology" module in which I got 92/100, I really can't think of other ways to show that I'm interested. My interest obviously comes from the fact that if tech can take care of the more admin style work, humans can work on more challenging matters that machines just won't be able to do. But what are the other ways in which I can showcase my interest?

Thanks

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
Hi Jessica, I have two questions: do firms usually carry out pre-employment checks soon after acceptance of the offer or before commencing the LPC/TC? When turning down a training contract offer, should I call graduate recruitment or just email them? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker . Hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, how do I demonstrate an interest in Legal tech because other than a "Law and technology" module in which I got 92/100, I really can't think of other ways to show that I'm interested. My interest obviously comes from the fact that if tech can take care of the more admin style work, humans can work on more challenging matters that machines just won't be able to do. But what are the other ways in which I can showcase my interest?

Thanks
There’s loads of ways you could demonstrate it:

- what you are reading
- what events you have attended
- what tech skills you are developing (eg coding etc)
- knowledge of the sector/industry in application questions
- work experience in the sector
- optional modules you are choosing to study
- student societies or volunteering positions that have a tech theme.

Its highly unlikely you need to demonstrate an interest in legal tech. An interest in Tech can be sufficient.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, how to answer "what do you know about our firm" - what exactly does the firm want to hear when they ask this kind of a question because obviously there can be so many points that can be made here?

Thanks
Answers to this question demonstrate what is important to you. You could spend years learning things about the firm but you have to focus on the things that you think is important, as this interview is about you not them and you only have a couple of minutes to answer. They’ll want to know what resources you have used to find out your information too.

• ℹ️

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. My question is regarding the SQE. Do we have to complete both the levels before we commence our TC or can we do it alongside our TC as well. What do International students who live outside the UK do? Can they study and take the SQE exams from their home country and come to London once they're done with the exams, or do they have to prepare for the exams while being physically present in London and only then can they start with their TC?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. My question is regarding the SQE. Do we have to complete both the levels before we commence our TC or can we do it alongside our TC as well. What do International students who live outside the UK do? Can they study and take the SQE exams from their home country and come to London once they're done with the exams, or do they have to prepare for the exams while being physically present in London and only then can they start with their TC?

Thanks
You don’t have to sit SQE 1 or 2 before undertaking your qualifying work experience (QWE). It is very much down to the firm as to what order you do things in though. Some are asking you to do both SQE 1 and 2 before you start your QWE, others are getting you to complete the SQE alongside your QWE.

There is no difference for international students. You are treated exactly the same. The difference is if you are a qualified lawyer from another jurisdiction. Then you don’t have to complete the QWE element. However, the difficulty then is you are technically over qualified and under experienced.

SQE1 can be done outside of the UK and a Pearson centre - you can find your local one here: https://wsr.pearsonvue.com/testtaker/find/testcenter/KAPLANSQE

Currently SQE 2 can only be sat in the UK. This may change in time though.

As they are just exams, you could technically prepare from anywhere. But again, your firm’s preferences for what type of prep course you do are likely to influence what you actually do rather than your personal choice.

Last edited:
  • ℹ️

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
You don’t have to sit SQE 1 or 2 before undertaking your qualifying work experience (QWE). It is very much down to the firm as to what order you do things in though. Some are asking you to do both SQE 1 and 2 before you start your QWE, others are getting you to complete the SQE alongside your QWE.

There is no difference for international students. You are treated exactly the same. The difference is if you are a qualified lawyer from another jurisdiction. Then you don’t have to complete the QWE element. However, the difficulty then is you are technically over qualified and under experienced.
If the firm wants the future trainee to complete the SQE 1&2 before that person starts his QWE, does the person need to be physically present in London or can he complete the examinations from his home country and then arrive in London for his QWE?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If the firm wants the future trainee to complete the SQE 1&2 before that person starts his QWE, does the person need to be physically present in London or can he complete the examinations from his home country and then arrive in London for his QWE?
See my edits above

• ℹ️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.