Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, does the Grad rec check for plagiarism from the web? I've heard of plagiarism checks against previous applications that the firm might have received but if I use a few words/sentences from the web for my work experience entries, could this be a problem?

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, does the Grad rec check for plagiarism from the web? I've heard of plagiarism checks against previous applications that the firm might have received but if I use a few words/sentences from the web for my work experience entries, could this be a problem?

Thanks.
Highly unlikely to be put through a plagiarism check, but I’d highly recommend not repeating wording in the way you are suggesting.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

mm26

Standard Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you're doing well. Today I received an AC invite from a firm for a place on their winter vac scheme, however a couple of days ago I accepted an offer for another firm's winter vac scheme. Clearly I am unable to interview for the winter vac as the schemes clash, but I would still like to interview for spring/summer vac if possible. What would you advise me to do? Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you're doing well. Today I received an AC invite from a firm for a place on their winter vac scheme, however a couple of days ago I accepted an offer for another firm's winter vac scheme. Clearly I am unable to interview for the winter vac as the schemes clash, but I would still like to interview for spring/summer vac if possible. What would you advise me to do? Thank you :)
Call the firm and see whether you can switch to an alternative scheme or recruitment process. There is no harm in asking. However, be mindful that some firms may not carry you through to the summer knowing you will probably have to make a decision on if you were offered a TC off the back of your winter scheme before this, and therefor may just suggest a direct TC route rather than a later scheme.

Reactions: mm26

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Good evening @Jessica Booker.

Do recruiters make notes on candidates that actively engage with the firm during the open day (or the opposite, remain passive eg don't ask questions) as a way to prescreen for vacation scheme applications?
There may not be formal notes as such, but typically you’ll remember people on open days and have some kind of perception of what they were like from how they engaged throughout the day.

Sometimes firms will collect brief feedback on candidates who stood out for positive reasons though.

Reactions: Casual

Casual

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    There may not be formal notes as such, but typically you’ll remember people on open days and have some kind of perception of what they were like from how they engaged throughout the day.

Sometimes firms will collect brief feedback on candidates who stood out for positive reasons though.
    Thank you @Jessica Booker!

Also, if I learnt a lot about a certain industry/practice area on an open day, is it okay to quote attending that firm's event on another firm's application form? For example, I learnt a lot about shipping practice during Reed Smith open day and thinking about quoting that event (to justify my interest in the area) on another application form for a firm that is similarly strong in shipping.

Last edited:

mm26

Standard Member
    Jun 21, 2019
    Call the firm and see whether you can switch to an alternative scheme or recruitment process. There is no harm in asking. However, be mindful that some firms may not carry you through to the summer knowing you will probably have to make a decision on if you were offered a TC off the back of your winter scheme before this, and therefor may just suggest a direct TC route rather than a later scheme.
    Thank you! :)

small_turtle

Feb 6, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well!

I could really use your advice! I received a TC offer from a City international firm ('firm A'). However, I made a direct TC application to another firm (preferred firm - 'Firm B'). Firm B just emailed me asking if I received a TC offer from the other vac schemes I did, and to provide as much information as possible.

I would love a TC from firm B; however, how do I mention it politely in the email that I would pick Firm B over the other firm I received an offer from? Or do I just mention that 'yes, I received a TC following my VS at firm B'?

Thank you!

Reactions: aspiring_solicitor

small_turtle

Feb 6, 2021

I could really use your advice! I received a TC offer from a City international firm ('firm A'). However, I made a direct TC application to another firm (preferred firm - 'Firm B'). Firm B just emailed me asking if I received a TC offer from the other vac schemes I did, and to provide as much information as possible.

I would love a TC from firm B; however, how do I mention it politely in the email that I would pick Firm B over the other firm I received an offer from? Or do I just mention that 'yes, I received a TC following my VS at firm B'?

Thank you!
    is it also better for me to reply them tonight (they sent me the email at around 12pm, but i've just seen it now), or on Monday? Would it make a difference? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    is it also better for me to reply them tonight (they sent me the email at around 12pm, but i've just seen it now), or on Monday? Would it make a difference? Thank you!
    It won’t make a difference when you send. It between now or Monday - they won’t pick it up until Monday morning anyway.

Reactions: small_turtle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thank you!
    Yes, email them but explain they are your preferred firm. When they are asking for as much detail as possible, they may want to understand whether your offer is still to be accepted and what timescales you have to accept it.

Reactions: small_turtle

small_turtle

Feb 6, 2021
    Yes, email them but explain they are your preferred firm. When they are asking for as much detail as possible, they may want to understand whether your offer is still to be accepted and what timescales you have to accept it.
    thanks @Jessica Booker ! I'll email them on Monday and I hope I progress! In the scenario that I had accepted an offer, do I disclose this to them?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.