Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Casual

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker.

If I learnt a lot about a certain industry/practice area on an open day, is it okay to quote attending that firm's event on another firm's application form? For example, I learnt a lot about shipping practice during Reed Smith open day and thinking about quoting that event (to justify my interest in the area) on another application form for a firm that is similarly strong in shipping.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker.

If I learnt a lot about a certain industry/practice area on an open day, is it okay to quote attending that firm's event on another firm's application form? For example, I learnt a lot about shipping practice during Reed Smith open day and thinking about quoting that event (to justify my interest in the area) on another application form for a firm that is similarly strong in shipping.

Thanks!
    Yes - sounds like a very logical approach to me

Reactions: Casual

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica. I am planning on taking a gap year after my postgraduate degree in law. This is mainly because I am feeling really burned out and blue about what I want to do career-wise. However, I do fear how the gap in my CV is going to be perceived by employers.

Currently, I am quite unsure whether I should go down the barrister or solicitor pathway. I am also exploring the Dphil/PhD option and a potential career in academia. I do acknowledge I need to do a lot more research, however, I am so bombarded with work from my current degree that I can hardly focus on anything career-wise without risking compromising my grades.

This is why I think I really need a year out to just 1- nurse my mental health, 2 - really take a step back and think about what I want to do instead of rushing into things, and 3 - send out decent applications instead of trying to simultaneously apply and keep my grades up.

However, I don’t know how this year-long gap is going to look on my CV, especially compared to all the proactive students who are already applying to TCs in their second year? Is this even a valid reason to take a gap year, and would this gap year adversely affect my prospects? I would also appreciate any advice for what I should do in this situation. Thank you
    That’s not a problem at all - a lot of candidates come to apply later down the line and when they are ready.

As long as your gap year is productive in some way, I don’t think this is an issue at all. And by productive, that could be anything with purpose - that could be working a whole range of jobs to earn money, travelling, further study etc. But there is no rush to apply, especially if you are uncertain what career path you want to take. That uncertainty will hold you back more than anything else - so you might as well wait until you are more sure.

Reactions: LLM2022

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, Is it normal to send LinkedIn invites to interviewers post-AC and is there any merit to reading into whether they've accepted your invite or not?
    Definitely not normal but fine to do it - but I just have to question whether this is suitable. If you want to add someone to LinkedIn, I would recommend asking this when you meet them.

And you can’t read anything into it if they don’t accept. Some people like to keep their LinkedIn to very specific groups of people.

Reactions: Jaysen and IceFloe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, is it okay to write things like " The role helped me figure out that I enjoy working in teams more than working all by myself" in a work experience entry wherein I interned with my university professor?

Thanks.
    You can just say it more concisely - “I enjoyed the role’s collaborative aspects” is exactly the same message but with fewer words.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    You can just say it more concisely - “I enjoyed the role’s collaborative aspects” is exactly the same message but with fewer words.
    I'm sorry but I think I was not able to frame my question clearly. What I meant was, in the work experience entry where I talk about working with my university professor, can I include a negative statement, something on the lines of "" The role helped me figure out that I enjoy working in teams more than working all by myself". Usually, when talking about a work experience entry, we only say what we liked and what skills we developed but can we be negative and say that this particular experience taught me that I didn't like working on my own (as I was working directly under my professor and there was no team element, just the two of us) and I preferred collaborative roles. I think this might be perceived negatively.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker , I am looking to apply to firms that are heavily involved with tech such as CC - what skills are important to highlight to display my interest/ ability to use legal tech during the course of work? I hope my question makes sense. :)
    Skills will be very similar to what they look for in standard trainees, just with either knowledge of technology and a passion for it. I don’t think you’ll need to gravitate much beyond the competencies a firm typically looks for in trainees, just put a technology lens over some of your examples where you can.

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm sorry but I think I was not able to frame my question clearly. What I meant was, in the work experience entry where I talk about working with my university professor, can I include a negative statement, something on the lines of "" The role helped me figure out that I enjoy working in teams more than working all by myself". Usually, when talking about a work experience entry, we only say what we liked and what skills we developed but can we be negative and say that this particular experience taught me that I didn't like working on my own (as I was working directly under my professor and there was no team element, just the two of us) and I preferred collaborative roles. I think this might be perceived negatively.
    I wouldn’t put this in the work experience entry. I’d focus on the positives of your other experiences that made you realise you enjoy working in teams.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Casual

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker.

When filling out the languages section of the application form, should I put "native" for English? I am an international student and my mother tongue is Russian. However, I have spent almost 10 years in the UK so at this point, English is my preferred language and I can express myself on par with native English speakers (albeit with a slight accent). I am just wary of firms discriminating against candidates who are 'fluent' in English as opposed to 'native'.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker.

When filling out the languages section of the application form, should I put "native" for English? I am an international student and my mother tongue is Russian. However, I have spent almost 10 years in the UK so at this point, English is my preferred language and I can express myself on par with native English speakers (albeit with a slight accent). I am just wary of firms discriminating against candidates who are 'fluent' in English as opposed to 'native'.
    Native wouldn’t be correct though - that is your first language - eg the one you learnt from a child first.

Firms won’t discriminate on the basis you have said. If it’s a free text box, say you are business fluent (assuming that is a fair description).

Reactions: Casual

small_turtle

Feb 6, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well!

I could really use your advice! I received a TC offer from a City international firm ('firm A'). However, I made a direct TC application to another firm (preferred firm - 'Firm B'). Firm B just emailed me asking if I received a TC offer from the other vac schemes I did, and to provide as much information as possible.

I would love a TC from firm B; however, how do I mention it politely in the email that I would pick Firm B over the other firm I received an offer from? Or do I just mention that 'yes, I received a TC following my VS at firm B'?

Thank you!
    Hi @Jessica Booker ,

This may just be me being paranoid, but will Firm B inform Firm A that I am still applying for a TC at Firm B?

Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.