Bad A Levels - will this stop me obtaining a Training Contract

ComershLawWannabe

Standard Member
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,

To skip to the point, I did terribly in my A-Levels. I achieved CDD.

At the time I was going through quite a rough patch and was in somewhat of an emotionally abusive situation. However, I recognise that I am responsible for my own learning and achievements and understand that there is no one else to blame. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, I didn't submit any kind of concession or try and argue that my grades were affected due to 'mitigating circumstances'.

I achieved a 2:1 at Uni (64%) and am currently enrolled on an LPC LLM course.

I'm finding it difficult as I don't have the exception of mitigating circumstances. All firms will see are bad grades with no explanation.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to detract attention away from my grades? I have work experience and currently work for a Top 100 law firm but all TC applications are viewed blindly so this won't make any difference to my application.

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
A smaller firm might be more likely to take you on. Were you GCSEs really good? If so that might help although I know normally GCSE grades are not examined but if the A levels are a sea of disaster sandwiched between superb GCSEs and your good degree that might help for those firms who dot not just go by the principle "computer says no" on A level grades.

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

At the time I was going through quite a rough patch and was in somewhat of an emotionally abusive situation. However, I recognise that I am responsible for my own learning and achievements and understand that there is no one else to blame. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, I didn't submit any kind of concession or try and argue that my grades were affected due to 'mitigating circumstances'.

I'm finding it difficult as I don't have the exception of mitigating circumstances. All firms will see are bad grades with no explanation.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to detract attention away from my grades? I have work experience and currently work for a Top 100 law firm but all TC applications are viewed blindly so this won't make any difference to my application.

Thank you in advance!
There are a number of firms who do not have any A-level criteria.

However, you do have mitigating circumstances, just potentially no evidence from your educational institution that they were aware of them. This is not uncommon though.

One way to potentially evidence the circumstances is to find someone you know who is in a reputable job (e.g. teacher/nurse/doctor/clergyman etc) who knows you personally but is not direct family (e.g. not a parent/sibling) to provide a reference for you if they were aware of these circumstances happening to you at the time.

You could then write something like the following on applications:

"During my A-levels I was a victim of emotional abuse which impacted my ability to study. Due to the circumstances, this was not disclosed to my school/college at the time. Since being removed from the situation, my academics have improved and show a truer reflection of my capabilities. I have a personal referee who can verify the circumstances happened, and have attached their reference for you to consider alongside my application"

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell and Alison C

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi,

Thank you in advance!
    If you don't know Law vlogger Chrissie Wolfe, you may be inspired to read these posts about her. One includes a link to the YouTube video where she discusses her A-levels, at grades CDEE. She's had around a decade at Irwin Mitchell and recently has taken a step back to build a career as a legal consultant and similar. She's pretty impressive. So you are not alone!

ComershLawWannabe

Standard Member
    Apr 6, 2022
    If you don't know Law vlogger Chrissie Wolfe, you may be inspired to read these posts about her. One includes a link to the YouTube video where she discusses her A-levels, at grades CDEE. She's had around a decade at Irwin Mitchell and recently has taken a step back to build a career as a legal consultant and similar. She's pretty impressive. So you are not alone!

Hey, thanks for responding. I'm aware of Chrissie and follow her on social media, she's great! I'm just worried that, as it's become a lot more competitive in recent years, it may be more difficult now then it was in the past. I've had some really encouraging messages though thankfully which have encouraged me to continue pushing through!

ComershLawWannabe

Standard Member
    Apr 6, 2022
    There are a number of firms who do not have any A-level criteria.

However, you do have mitigating circumstances, just potentially no evidence from your educational institution that they were aware of them. This is not uncommon though.

One way to potentially evidence the circumstances is to find someone you know who is in a reputable job (e.g. teacher/nurse/doctor/clergyman etc) who knows you personally but is not direct family (e.g. not a parent/sibling) to provide a reference for you if they were aware of these circumstances happening to you at the time.

You could then write something like the following on applications:

"During my A-levels I was a victim of emotional abuse which impacted my ability to study. Due to the circumstances, this was not disclosed to my school/college at the time. Since being removed from the situation, my academics have improved and show a truer reflection of my capabilities. I have a personal referee who can verify the circumstances happened, and have attached their reference for you to consider alongside my application"
    Hi Jessica,
    This is really helpful! Thank you. I've been massively concerned about coming across as a 'sob story' to try and shy away from my grades but I wasn't aware of everything you mentioned above. It's incredibly helpful, thank you again.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, thanks for responding. I'm aware of Chrissie and follow her on social media, she's great! I'm just worried that, as it's become a lot more competitive in recent years, it may be more difficult now then it was in the past. I've had some really encouraging messages though thankfully which have encouraged me to continue pushing through!
    I honestly don’t believe it is anymore competitive now than it would have been when Christie entered the market. She was looking just after the financial crash, and things were a lot worse then than it is now in my opinion.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    This is really helpful! Thank you. I've been massively concerned about coming across as a 'sob story' to try and shy away from my grades but I wasn't aware of everything you mentioned above. It's incredibly helpful, thank you again.
    It’s not a sob story. It’s life getting in the way and this happens to a lot of us.

Its just for you it happened at a pivotal time.

If it’s an obvious blip in your performance, it becomes clearer that the circumstances most likely impacted you and that it probably isn’t a true reflection of your capabilities.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    @ComershLawWannabe I think @Jessica Booker has given you some fantastic advice here. Her thoughts on seeking out a referee who can vouch for you sounds like a very sensible solution.

I actually have a friend at BPP who is going to a US firm who had similar A-Level grades to you. The firm actually never asked for their A-Levels at all. She went to a RG university and I believe got a middling 2:1. So based on this, I really do not think that your A-Level grades will hold you back indefinitely.

I am always on hand to help if I am able to, so please feel free to tag me!

ComershLawWannabe

Standard Member
    Apr 6, 2022
    I honestly don’t believe it is anymore competitive now than it would have been when Christie entered the market. She was looking just after the financial crash, and things were a lot worse then than it is now in my opinion.
    A smaller firm might be more likely to take you on. Were you GCSEs really good? If so that might help although I know normally GCSE grades are not examined but if the A levels are a sea of disaster sandwiched between superb GCSEs and your good degree that might help for those firms who dot not just go by the principle "computer says no" on A level grades.
    @ComershLawWannabe I think @Jessica Booker has given you some fantastic advice here. Her thoughts on seeking out a referee who can vouch for you sounds like a very sensible solution.
    I actually have a friend at BPP who is going to a US firm who had similar A-Level grades to you. The firm actually never asked for their A-Levels at all. She went to a RG university and I believe got a middling 2:1. So based on this, I really do not think that your A-Level grades will hold you back indefinitely.

I am always on hand to help if I am able to, so please feel free to tag me!
    Hi George, I agree. I was also advised to reach out to graduate recruitment advisors at the firms I am interested in to let them know prior to handing my applications in so they can read the application with full context, what do you think about this? I honestly didn't expect this many responses, all of which have been incredibly helpful and have definitely settled my nerves going forward. Thank you so much !

Last edited:

ComershLawWannabe

Standard Member
    Apr 6, 2022
    Hi Jane, yes I did fairly well in my GCSE's. At present I work for quite a big national firm so would prefer to stay here but I am definitely considering smaller firms as well! Through discussions with some of my LPC colleagues it would seem that if you can get a paralegal role at a small firm and prove your worth you're more likely to be offered a TC regardless of your grades so that's definitely something I'm going to look into. Thank you!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lisa Lowe

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi,

Thank you in advance!
    Another thing I failed to pick up on: you are already doing the LPC. I have seen some phenomenally high grades for the LPC - literally in the 90s, things I haven't had since I was about 12; certainly way above the marks on the GDL/undergrad courses (other than unbelievable results given to gifted mathematicians!). Admittedly, these 90 pluses are from smart cookies, but it goes to show that a Distinction is within your reach if you can grasp the right way to approach it. This is an obvious chance to really up your game on the academic front if you feel you know how. A great set of marks will sweep any previous blips off the table with style.

I haven't done the LPC and I know it's supposed to be unlike previous studies, but it's a very well-respected route to qualification and far more well-understood than the SQE.

Vlogger Liam Porritt has some excellent tips on how to succeed; also he has put his BPP LPC notes up for sale. If you are at U Law there are sets of notes to buy for that too from other sources.

So maybe that's the thing to really aim for. And if that really isn't your bag then finding a firm that is a good fit for your academic leanings will be the key thing to focus on when you do get around to applications. With the LPC under your belt you will have a lot to offer and to a wider range of firms.

Hope that helps!

Newborntrainee

Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 10, 2019
    Hey!

I didn't have the highest grades (though I am an international student, so there are slight adjustments). I think I had 11.89/20, or less than 60% for my A levels overall, and my LLB was at around 65% equivalent overall. I also had just under 60% on my LLM and GDL (which I studied concurrently, full time). My LPC grades were higher though, around 70-75%.

I also had the same doubts about getting a TC as I found that my applications were rejected at the very first stage. I did find that I had better luck with smaller, boutique law firms and managed to secure 2 interviews. I was also paralegalling, and focused on getting a job with firms that are known to consider internal candidates for TCs and managed to secure a training contract with an international corporate firm in this way!

Hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.