BAD FIRST YEAR RESULTS - What to do?

aze-orange

Standard Member
Aug 11, 2020
Hello everyone! (And anyone reading this :p)

I am honestly having an absolute meltdown about my first year results that I’ve just received.

My first year average is 61.25% — 57% in criminal law, 64% in public law, 62% in equity & trusts, and 62% in contract law.

If it helps, I attend an RG in Manchester :confused:

Honestly I am not so sure what to do from now on. It will be really helpful if anyone can give a rough plan for me to follow! (Studies, extra-curricula, etc.)

Let’s presume that this is down the solicitor route—

Zoë Stainton

Future Trainee
May 31, 2019
Hey! Please do not feel discouraged by your results. Getting a 2:1 is still great and navigating first year of university is always difficult and it definitely takes time to get used to being a student.

I was in the exact position as you were at the end of first year. Following the disappointment of my first year results, it became super important for me to focus on the extra-curricular aspect of my applications.
For example, a society committee, brand ambassador, volunteering, even one day work experience at a law firm. At one point I emailed 20 local law firms asking to work shadow even if it was for one day. I worked as a cleaner in the summer and I have managed to build so many skills from that experience!
Honestly, even if it isn't law related you will be able to build a broad skill set that you will be able to draw on in your applications. Law firms will want to see you are not just about your results, but you are a well-rounded person who will become a brilliant solicitor!

As you may already be aware a lot of firms will be looking for students with 65% and above but do not be discouraged by this - keep applying and alongside your extra curricular and work experience a law firm might be impressed with you despite your results!
Write a list of what you want to apply for over the next year - maybe some open days, brand ambassador roles, virtual events/webinars and maybe a couple of vacation schemes. Even if you get rejected, you will learn from your mistakes in your application and every time you do one, it will get easier! I got rejected from every application I made in second year! It wasn't till third year where I really started to see the result of all my hard work!

Also it is not essential to get a vacation scheme/TC by the time you finish second year. Every person has their own journey and we are all on different timelines. It took me until third year to get a vacation scheme! You never know how second year will work out and with a new mindset you could really do well in your results and start applying for VS/TC end of second/start of third year!

I hope this is helpful! I know its not a plan but hopefully it has encouraged you a little. I never thought becoming a lawyer was possible for me but that didn't stop me from trying and in the end I surprised myself!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Your grades are not bad at all, just make sure they continue to improve as you complete your subsequent years. I had much worse grades in first year and have still been somewhat successful in getting through international and silver circle firms applications (perhaps it was more challenging with my grades but don’t let that deter you).

Definitely become extremely proactive if you are not already. Do things that you enjoy and will develop skills from. As the previous poster said, become a committee member, gain work experience, participate in completions etc. Best of luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I am honestly having an absolute meltdown about my first year results that I’ve just received.

My first year average is 61.25% — 57% in criminal law, 64% in public law, 62% in equity & trusts, and 62% in contract law.

Honestly I am not so sure what to do from now on. It will be really helpful if anyone can give a rough plan for me to follow! (Studies, extra-curricula, etc.)

You are panicking about nothing... these are not bad grades

aze-orange

Standard Member
Aug 11, 2020
Hey! Please do not feel discouraged by your results. Getting a 2:1 is still great and navigating first year of university is always difficult and it definitely takes time to get used to being a student.

I was in the exact position as you were at the end of first year. Following the disappointment of my first year results, it became super important for me to focus on the extra-curricular aspect of my applications.
For example, a society committee, brand ambassador, volunteering, even one day work experience at a law firm. At one point I emailed 20 local law firms asking to work shadow even if it was for one day. I worked as a cleaner in the summer and I have managed to build so many skills from that experience!
Honestly, even if it isn't law related you will be able to build a broad skill set that you will be able to draw on in your applications. Law firms will want to see you are not just about your results, but you are a well-rounded person who will become a brilliant solicitor!

As you may already be aware a lot of firms will be looking for students with 65% and above but do not be discouraged by this - keep applying and alongside your extra curricular and work experience a law firm might be impressed with you despite your results!
Write a list of what you want to apply for over the next year - maybe some open days, brand ambassador roles, virtual events/webinars and maybe a couple of vacation schemes. Even if you get rejected, you will learn from your mistakes in your application and every time you do one, it will get easier! I got rejected from every application I made in second year! It wasn't till third year where I really started to see the result of all my hard work!

Also it is not essential to get a vacation scheme/TC by the time you finish second year. Every person has their own journey and we are all on different timelines. It took me until third year to get a vacation scheme! You never know how second year will work out and with a new mindset you could really do well in your results and start applying for VS/TC end of second/start of third year!

I hope this is helpful! I know its not a plan but hopefully it has encouraged you a little. I never thought becoming a lawyer was possible for me but that didn't stop me from trying and in the end I surprised myself!

Those are still good ideas though. And I get that I’ve been only been thinking about the short-term effects rather than the long-term :confused:

Thanks for the help mate! :)

aze-orange

Standard Member
Aug 11, 2020
Your grades are not bad at all, just make sure they continue to improve as you complete your subsequent years. I had much worse grades in first year and have still been somewhat successful in getting through international and silver circle firms applications (perhaps it was more challenging with my grades but don’t let that deter you).

Definitely become extremely proactive if you are not already. Do things that you enjoy and will develop skills from. As the previous poster said, become a committee member, gain work experience, participate in completions etc. Best of luck!

How hard was it for you though? i.e, a rough number of extra-curricula that you had to pick up on? (Sorry for insisting some more questions :confused:)

And thanks for the wishes :) I’ll do my best!

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
I see; to be honest, my worst fear is to not get through the application stage or being automatically rejected due to grades :confused:

Is there like a specific list of firms that I ought to avoid with these results? Or any others?

As a general rule, you won't get an automatic rejection for module results. Firms with minimum A level requirements/minimum degree class requirements will do so, but not for modules automatically as far as I know. Automatic grade rejection is only for A levels/degree certifications as a rule.

S&M is the only firm that really really places a lot of emphasis on grades - it's just a simple way for them of filtering out people, no one else does it so much. That said, S&M isn't impossible, but it will certainly be considerably more difficult.

I suspect other firms may hold it against you, particularly if it's for one of those vac schemes only open to current undergrads (which means the firm can't filter people out by degree certification), but as always, make sure the rest of your application is extremely strong to compensate for any weakness like this.

Equally, be prepared for the subject potentially to come up at interview of why you did less well on a particular module, so make sure you have a good answer.

Most important thing though is to work hard at the next set of modules to get better results. it looks a lot better if your grades shoot up (as mine did, scraped a 2.2 in prelims in 1st year, then improved to a first in my finals) than if your grades continuously languish at the bottom.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How hard was it for you though? i.e, a rough number of extra-curricula that you had to pick up on? (Sorry for insisting some more questions :confused:)

extra curriculars are not necessarily the answer here. It’s not as easy as trading off things, especially if it’s across different years.

Reactions: aze-orange and tractor12

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I mean, there are just loads of people that did really well and I got a 2:2 with only low 2:1 marks in the other subjects, so am pretty worried actually o_O Just afraid of any firms that use like an automatic filter based on grades.....

There is no automatic filter that can do that.

Reactions: aze-orange

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019

I wouldn't think of it like that - I didn't do the extra curricular stuff because I thought it would help my applications. Just keep busy with things you enjoy and that might build your skillset. I averaged a 2:2 in first year with a very low contract grade. I would emphasise that although it has been difficult I have found worrying about it to be more of a hindrance that the actual grades itself. Your grades are really not bad - they are certainly not bad enough to get an automatic rejection i.e. it will likely depend on the rest of your application.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018

Honestly, as others are mentioned - You are worrying about nothing. My first year average was 63. 10 of my 11 applications were successful and this was across a range of firms (MC and US). I'd avoid the firms that can be very particular about grades (Slaughters, Shearman etc) but otherwise you are fine.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Cer96

Star Member
Future Trainee
Aug 13, 2020

As so many have said above, a 2.1 is a great result and so definitely not something to worry about with 2nd and 3rd year to come as well.

But also, shout out to you for having to take Equity in your first year and still getting a 62, I think if I'd had to figure out what a trust was in year 1 my head would have exploded!

• Haha
Reactions: Holly

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Honestly, as others are mentioned - You are worrying about nothing. My first year average was 63. 10 of my 11 applications were successful and this was across a range of firms (MC and US). I'd avoid the firms that can be very particular about grades (Slaughters, Shearman etc) but otherwise you are fine.

Hello,

@aze-orange

There's absolutely no reason to avoid applying to us - Shearman & Sterling. You have a 2.1 in your first year, and a 2.1 in your contract law module (which we consider to be an important module). You also have your 2nd and 3rd year grades to come.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Paul

henryc1271

Jul 19, 2021
Hello,

@aze-orange

There's absolutely no reason to avoid applying to us - Shearman & Sterling. You have a 2.1 in your first year, and a 2.1 in your contract law module (which we consider to be an important module). You also have your 2nd and 3rd year grades to come.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Paul
I averaged a 2:1 at Exeter University in first year but struggled in my contract law module, mainly due to the circumstances surrounding covid, and ended with a 54% (2:2) in it. Will this hinder my chances of gaining a training contract at a London firm in the future?

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
I averaged a 2:1 at Exeter University in first year but struggled in my contract law module, mainly due to the circumstances surrounding covid, and ended with a 54% (2:2) in it. Will this hinder my chances of gaining a training contract at a London firm in the future?
Hi @henryc1271

It is highly unlikely that the success or failure of your TC applications will rest on this one module.

Thanks,

Paul

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
As a general rule, you won't get an automatic rejection for module results. Firms with minimum A level requirements/minimum degree class requirements will do so, but not for modules automatically as far as I know. Automatic grade rejection is only for A levels/degree certifications as a rule.

S&M is the only firm that really really places a lot of emphasis on grades - it's just a simple way for them of filtering out people, no one else does it so much. That said, S&M isn't impossible, but it will certainly be considerably more difficult.

I suspect other firms may hold it against you, particularly if it's for one of those vac schemes only open to current undergrads (which means the firm can't filter people out by degree certification), but as always, make sure the rest of your application is extremely strong to compensate for any weakness like this.

Equally, be prepared for the subject potentially to come up at interview of why you did less well on a particular module, so make sure you have a good answer.

Most important thing though is to work hard at the next set of modules to get better results. it looks a lot better if your grades shoot up (as mine did, scraped a 2.2 in prelims in 1st year, then improved to a first in my finals) than if your grades continuously languish at the bottom.

Agreed. To add to this, other firms to watch out for are Shearman & Sterling, Sullivan & Cromwell and Cleary Gottlieb AFAIK. This is not to discourage you from applying, but just something to be aware of.

CJL

Jul 25, 2021

If it is any consolation, I failed two modules in my first year and one in my second year, before securing a first overall in my degree. I was still invited to Slaughter and May for an interview. I also had no legal experience and did not attend a RG university.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.